Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

street tune vs dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM

Default street tune vs dyno tune

In approximately a month I will be installing dezods S2 kit on my friends 08 scion tc as well as about 10 other parts (upgrades and gauges). I am looking in to tuning (phoenix az area) and have found a few options. Some of them are dyno only tuning, but i have found one guy that does street tuning and also has dyno access for wot fine tuning as well.

I personally am leaning towards the street tuning due to several reasons several hundred dollars cheaper, as well as a shorter "appointment necessary" window, other shops are 1 month out, he is week to week.

what is your guy's opinion on street vs dyno tuning?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is impossible to find mbt without a dyno.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by trd07tc
It is impossible to find mbt without a dyno.

huh whats mbt? it will be tuned on a dyno, but mainly street
Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_Brake_Torque
Old 12-23-2012, 01:33 AM
SL Member
SL Member

In my experience, street tuning is very similar to dyno tuning and because its much cheaper it is usually more favorable if you want to save money
Old 12-23-2012, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the individual a credited tuner? does he work for a shop? is he familiar with your style setup, platform, emu, etc.. anybody has access to a dyno, you can rent pulls. street tuning can blow your motor, if done by the wrong person. other than that you will be fine, if not looking to extract every pony out.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member

This is a pretty old and very opinion based topic. I've got almost a decade of experience with forced induction in cars, trucks, bikes etc. This is a fact though: A dyno cannot simulate the load of driving on the street. It all depends on your application though. If you want the car to have good driveability then a street tune is a must. A drag car that's either going to idle or be at WOT, maybe dyno tune will be fine. But anybody who wants to win would probably do both. Remember a dyno is just a tool to SIMULATE LOAD on a car. So unless a dyno can simulate me in my car with two girls going up a hill at 90% throttle, I'll always have to touch it up with a street tune. Or you have to ad the weight of the two girls (let's say 220lbs no fatties) to your car's dyno parameters when you set up to get even a little close.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sparky7
This is a pretty old and very opinion based topic. I've got almost a decade of experience with forced induction in cars, trucks, bikes etc. This is a fact though: A dyno cannot simulate the load of driving on the street. It all depends on your application though. If you want the car to have good driveability then a street tune is a must. A drag car that's either going to idle or be at WOT, maybe dyno tune will be fine. But anybody who wants to win would probably do both. Remember a dyno is just a tool to SIMULATE LOAD on a car. So unless a dyno can simulate me in my car with two girls going up a hill at 90% throttle, I'll always have to touch it up with a street tune. Or you have to ad the weight of the two girls (let's say 220lbs no fatties) to your car's dyno parameters when you set up to get even a little close.
DYNAPACK hub dyno
Old 12-27-2012, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member

There are a lot of variables, I prefer dyno tuning initially and verify on the street. But the type of dyno is also important, an inertia dyno is only good for wot such as a typical Dyno Jet/DJ. A loaded dyno can be used at part or wide open throttle and can be loaded to simulate closer to what you will see on the street, such as a Mustang Dyno/MD these do read low compared to DJ numbers.....

I would only ever get strapped to a DJ for HP/TQ numbers only.

For mild mods I'd stick to e-mail tuning and data logs or 'street' tuning vs the $$ for a dyno tune, especially if you plan other mods later on. Also check with your tuner if revisions will be at full cost or discount....