Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

supercharger flash?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default supercharger flash?

if i buy something like the greddy emanage do i still need to take my computer to get it flashed for the supercharger...or could i just install that and use that...can someone help me out with this...thanks...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

u can use the emanage instead of the reflash...it's actually way better than the reflash also...but...you need to get it professionally tuned or dyno tuned ASAP
Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

soo no matter what i have to get it tuned tho...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is better to use emanage to tune the s/c without the trd reflash? that can't be right.

i think it would be better and safer to get the reflash and tune it with a piggyback.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

allrite just makin this clear.....i have to get it reflashed by toyota first before i can use the emanage? soory im new to all this forced induction kinda stuff...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, here is what happens, you can have the supercharger installed, and not get it reflashed, and tune it with an piggyback like emanage, but a piggyback isn't actually in control of the car, it alters the signals that the ecu gets to change the fuel and ignition timing. however the ecu actually does correct itself overtime and the piggyback looses effect and has to be retuned, or the ecu has to be reset.

with the reflash, the car will operate properly on it's own, and if you want you can tune it with a piggyback from then on. in the end the same thing will happen, but if your tc is reflashed it will continue to run properly even when it overcomes the piggyback ecu, but if it isn't reflashed, it will revert to trying to run like it was still n/a.

also, your warranty, if you don't get it reflashed you don't have a warranty. and if you do get it reflashed, and tune it with a piggyback, you can just disconnect the piggyback when you take it in for service, and it will be as if the piggyback was never there, the car will go back to running normal.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

allrite thanks man...i understand that now...
Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what you can do is buy the SC from trd sparks, which will save you a few couple hundred bucks, then buy the emanage and get it all installed and tuned at a shop, this will give you more gains than the trd reflash, but you wont be able to get the warranty.BTW, you dont need the reflash you can tune with the emanage.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i already have the supercharger....me and my dad are going to install it...but we are stuck on the tune part....and then i thought about the emanage...im not really worrying about the warranty that much...
Old 10-04-2007, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then if you are installing it and dont care about the warranty then buy the emanage ultimate and tune it. Dont drive the car without the tune. It was explained to me that the trd reflash pulls a lot of timing to make the car extremely safe and that the emanage allows you to get some of that timing back but its still very safe, so if you just tune the factory ecu(without the reflash) you have a lot more room to play with if you want to put out some more power.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if i get the emanage ultimate is it possible for me to tune it myself or do i still need to take it sumwhere to get it tuned...
Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not if your aren't familiar with how to tune a car, also, you need a dyno treadmill to run the car on to get the car tuned.

also, the aem f/ic is better than emanage blue and ultimate because it can tune both open and closed loop.

get one, plus the plug and play harness from www.dezod.com
Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

here's the deal with the reflash, once reflashed, you will lose about 15-20 hp. It will run fine though. The piggyback will allow you to pretty much choose between a range of numbers in hp depending on where at on the a/f ratio you wanna play with. People with the same setup as me (s/c, CAI, 9lb pulley, catback exhaust) that have reflashed...have shown results of only 200whp on the dyno to 210whp. Now mine, with the emanage blue, i originally pulled close to 250whp (around 246 actually) but i was running lean. So i had the tuners give me a more conservative tune running rich low end and nice and stoich at higher rpm's, and i pulled 222whp. The emanage is 300 + installation whereas the reflash is 400 + installation also...you do the math. cheaper and better numbers in the end
Old 10-05-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

draxcaliber will you have the same piggy back problem with the aem f/ic of losing tuning as time goes on?
Old 10-06-2007, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by megrog2
draxcaliber will you have the same piggy back problem with the aem f/ic of losing tuning as time goes on.
i'm aware of that, the problem is that if one installs the supercharger, gets it reflashed, and tunes with a piggyback, once the ecu relearns and ignores the piggyback, it will be back to running the conservative rich trd reflash tune.

if one installs the supercharger, doesn't reflash, and just tunes with a piggyback, eventually they will get back to the stock n/a ecu setting, which would be BAD!
Old 10-06-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wasn't making a statement, it was a question.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
here's the deal with the reflash, once reflashed, you will lose about 15-20 hp. It will run fine though. The piggyback will allow you to pretty much choose between a range of numbers in hp depending on where at on the a/f ratio you wanna play with. People with the same setup as me (s/c, CAI, 9lb pulley, catback exhaust) that have reflashed...have shown results of only 200whp on the dyno to 210whp. Now mine, with the emanage blue, i originally pulled close to 250whp (around 246 actually) but i was running lean. So i had the tuners give me a more conservative tune running rich low end and nice and stoich at higher rpm's, and i pulled 222whp. The emanage is 300 + installation whereas the reflash is 400 + installation also...you do the math. cheaper and better numbers in the end
Uhhh Dood... lets not throw out inaccurate information. 400 plus install for the reflash is a rediculously over-inflated price. Especially since many many dealers do the entire SC Install for 500! I paid 85 bucks for the reflash from my Toyota Dealer and I did my own SC install. I hear trdsparks will do it for around 125. If you want to verify that, email Ken. ken@sparkstoyota.com It is very easy to remove and replace the ecu. And how much is it really for the emage, plus the harness, plus the tune? If you don't have around 500 on hand for the emanage, you can get the reflash for 125. Or hit up this guy.... 06scionsc He works for Toyota somewhere and actually owns the tool to do the reflash. I think he does it for 50 bucks.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
here's the deal with the reflash, once reflashed, you will lose about 15-20 hp.
That is True, TRD water down the supercharger.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cessblood
Originally Posted by draxcaliber
also, your warranty, if you don't get it reflashed you don't have a warranty. and if you do get it reflashed, and tune it with a piggyback, you can just disconnect the piggyback when you take it in for service, and it will be as if the piggyback was never there, the car will go back to running normal.
Wow thanx for posting that on the forums now if toyota read this thread they might do something to check or keep an eye to see if the owners messed with the ECU. Thanx blowing up some people's spots. LOL.
LOL !! There is going to be "Void If Removed" stickers all over the place now. :o
Old 10-07-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScottTc13

Uhhh Dood... lets not throw out inaccurate information. 400 plus install for the reflash is a rediculously over-inflated price. Especially since many many dealers do the entire SC Install for 500! I paid 85 bucks for the reflash from my Toyota Dealer and I did my own SC install. I hear trdsparks will do it for around 125. If you want to verify that, email Ken. ken@sparkstoyota.com It is very easy to remove and replace the ecu. And how much is it really for the emage, plus the harness, plus the tune? If you don't have around 500 on hand for the emanage, you can get the reflash for 125. Or hit up this guy.... 06scionsc He works for Toyota somewhere and actually owns the tool to do the reflash. I think he does it for 50 bucks.
Okay, let me correct you regarding my original statement because it IS accurate information. If you can find a place that does it cheaper, then good job man. But unless you do, the TRD reflash (if you bought the s/c from someone other than the dealer and do not have one with your kit) is 400 dollars which i had quoted from 5 different Toyota/Scion dealerships in the southern california area plus 100 for the install! Don't tell me my info is inaccurate when i was the one that obtained it! Also, TRD sparks is in Myrtle Beach, SC so if you want to drive that far to save some money, by all means be my guest. Now, having said that, the Emanage i picked up for 250 but is typically around for 300-350 (blue that is). You do not need the harness, and IMO is a waste of money because it is not really that hard, nor does it take that long to hard wire it yourself or have the install shop do it. Tune, might run between 150 and 300 bucks depending on where you go. So let's recap shall we?

TRD reflash = 500 total and loss of 15-20whp

Emanage Blue = 300 + 100 install + 300 tune = 700 and choose your whp from a wide range of about 30whp depending on if you are gonna run rich or lean

200 dollars more for anywhere around 30whp...pretty good bang for the buck if you ask me...

But hey what do i know, i only researched this for over a year before i did it myself and have dyno proven results that are pretty amazing IMO!

Think before you post son

Quick Reply: supercharger flash?