Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Switched Iridium Plugs - Big Difference - Must for Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unfortunatly lo_bux, when you're getting high rpm misfires and making 600-800WHP, you must sacrifice plug life for power. I'm speaking from a different perspective, but the information is still there. Iridium's are good for turbo setups.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lo_bux_racer
If it's genuinely fouling, they're too cold. That's what the heat range is all about: keeping the porcelain clean. Too cold fouls, too hot detonates. Pretty simple fix.
Yea, I'm trying to follow TRD's supercharger list of parts. They also recommend going to a colder plug for their 6 or 7 PSI of boost.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^^Where did you pick up your Denso's from? Local AutoZone, PepBoys?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Local AutoZone had them in stock.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad

MAN!!! I'm POed! I called two of my local AutoZone's and they said they don't even show it listed. Is there an equivalent vehicle that I can buy the plugs for, that will work in the TC. Or did they have them listed for our exact vehicle?

wait...spark plugs aren't vehicle specific or are they?

Thanks again ScionDad

edit..I just called another autozone and they said they had a 16 and 20 but not the 22.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MAN!!! I'm POed! I called two of my local AutoZone's and they said they don't even show it listed. Is there an equivalent vehicle that I can buy the plugs for, that will work in the TC. Or did they have them listed for our exact vehicle?

Thanks again ScionDad
Ahhh, yea, they are messed up like that. Call them and ask for Denso Stock number 5310. When they look at the box of 4, it will say the DENSO stock number 5310 and have IK22 listed as well.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks again ScionDad
Ahhh, yea, they are messed up like that. Call them and ask for Denso Stock number 5310. When they look at the box of 4, it will say the DENSO stock number 5310 and have IK22 listed as well.

Cool man, I have always thought you were a very helpful person. However, he looked up that stock number, and it came back as a transmission filter.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks again ScionDad

Cool man, I have always thought you were a very helpful person.
Well thanks. BTW, where in TN are you. I have an office in Madison, outside Nashville. I go down there occasionally, might have to hook up sometime. My business partner has a 95 Mustang Cobra. He needs a good beating by a stage 1 TC.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks again ScionDad

Cool man, I have always thought you were a very helpful person.
Well thanks. BTW, where in TN are you. I have an office in Madison, outside Nashville. I go down there occasionally, might have to hook up sometime. My business partner has a 95 Mustang Cobra. He needs a good beating by a stage 1 TC.

I think I'm on the opposite side of Nashville. I live in Murfreesboro, but I work in Green Hills. I drive all over Nashville though, so no biggie on where you would like to meet. By the way, AUTOZONE SUCKS! They can't get their stuff straight. I called one autozone and that stock number came back as a transmission filter of some sort. Then I called another AutoZone, and the guy's computer came up with the right part, but it said it had to be directly ordered from the vendor, and that they don't stock them anywhere in the AutoZone's here. No biggie, he said it will only take a day to order them though. Does 12.99 a pop sound right? Let me know when you are coming down, cause I will for sure cruise with you.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, that's about right on the price. Expensive little guys.

Sure thing, I'll let you know ahead of time, next time I'm down there.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Sweet... Not to get off topic or anything, but how is the car holding up? How many miles have you put on the turbo? I'm looking to be joining the Stage 0 group at the end off next month. Kinda sucks that It will be winter basically before being boosted, but it's all good. You are automatic right?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet... Not to get off topic or anything, but how is the car holding up? How many miles have you put on the turbo? I'm looking to be joining the Stage 0 group at the end off next month. Kinda sucks that It will be winter basically before being boosted, but it's all good. You are automatic right?
Yup, Stage 0 Auto. Holding up great. Runs very strong. Every evening, I spend a few minutes looking for any oil leaks or any problems with plumbing. Not a single problem so far after about 2000 miles. I will however, update any issues that may come up, but so far it's fantastic.

If you have yet to switch oil types, def go with Mobile One "full" synthetic oil before the turbo gets installed and use Mobile one there after. Also, We started running premium gas about 2 weeks before install. It's not necessary, but even TRD recommends premium for their supercharger. Detonation is a bad thing. You already have the plugs covered....the rest is pure fun.

Is ZPI doing the install or are you doing it yourself?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

so what about running these plugs on a car that is spraying? I am just getting ready to finish the spray install and want to cover everything there also. Can these plugs run just fine on the car if I am just normal driving it also? I drive the car alot and wont be spraying much.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NCBIGGJ
so what about running these plugs on a car that is spraying? I am just getting ready to finish the spray install and want to cover everything there also. Can these plugs run just fine on the car if I am just normal driving it also? I drive the car alot and wont be spraying much.
It should be fine. Worse case, you would foul them out in time. Basically, the plug would have a tougher time cleaning itself. But, maybe it's a good excuse to spray more often.

"I was cleaning my plugs officer. Really I was"
Old 10-10-2005, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Yup, Stage 0 Auto. Holding up great. Runs very strong. Every evening, I spend a few minutes looking for any oil leaks or any problems with plumbing. Not a single problem so far after about 2000 miles. I will however, update any issues that may come up, but so far it's fantastic.

If you have yet to switch oil types, def go with Mobile One "full" synthetic oil before the turbo gets installed and use Mobile one there after. Also, We started running premium gas about 2 weeks before install. It's not necessary, but even TRD recommends premium for their supercharger. Detonation is a bad thing. You already have the plugs covered....the rest is pure fun.

Good to hear a high mileage on the turbo without problems. Our TC is 5 speed. Funny you mentioned the oil, because I just finished giving her an oil change yesterday. I am now running the K&N filter, and Quaker stake performance oil (I do believe it's synthetic). Is Mobile One better? I figured I would go up to the 93 octane before the turbo. At first I was thinking that I will install it myself with the help of my friend who is a mechanic for Nissan. He has been working on cars since he was young. But ZPI is so close to me too, that I could do either. I'm going up there again on the 22nd, so they can redo my cat-back for me, and give me mandrel bent pipes instead of the junk pipe that's under there now. I should feel a better gain after that. What essentials have you added on top of the turbo besides plugs, oil, and gas? Have you invested in a turbo timer, boost controller, catch cans, etc...?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good to hear a high mileage on the turbo without problems. Our TC is 5 speed. Funny you mentioned the oil, because I just finished giving her an oil change yesterday. I am now running the K&N filter, and Quaker stake performance oil (I do believe it's synthetic). Is Mobile One better? I figured I would go up to the 93 octane before the turbo. At first I was thinking that I will install it myself with the help of my friend who is a mechanic for Nissan. He has been working on cars since he was young. But ZPI is so close to me too, that I could do either. I'm going up there again on the 22nd, so they can redo my cat-back for me, and give me mandrel bent pipes instead of the junk pipe that's under there now. I should feel a better gain after that. What essentials have you added on top of the turbo besides plugs, oil, and gas? Have you invested in a turbo timer, boost controller, catch cans, etc...?
I don't know if Mobile 1 is any better, but I know full synthetic can handle the heat much better. I was told it will actually drop the oil temp by as much as 30 degrees on a turbo engine.

I have a turbo timer on the alarm system, but not hooked up yet. Another project. Nothing else yet. I haven't installed the catch can I do have...well, because I don't see where it would go on and help. Boost controller might be good idea, but shoot, only running 6-7 PSI, not much need to control that.

Other than that, I have a boost gauge, oil temp, oil pressure and AFR wideband gauge (waiting for ZPI to weld up the bung for the S pipe install and gauge hookup).
Old 10-10-2005, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

[quote="ScionDad"]
I don't know if Mobile 1 is any better, but I know full synthetic can handle the heat much better. I was told it will actually drop the oil temp by as much as 30 degrees on a turbo engine.

I have a turbo timer on the alarm system, but not hooked up yet. Another project. Nothing else yet. I haven't installed the catch can I do have...well, because I don't see where it would go on and help. Boost controller might be good idea, but shoot, only running 6-7 PSI, not much need to control that.

Other than that, I have a boost gauge, oil temp, oil pressure and AFR wideband gauge (waiting for ZPI to weld up the bung for the S pipe install and gauge hookup).

Hmm... The reason I was thinking about the boost controller, is for my g/f. Incase she didn't feel like having the extra power, she could turn the boost down. If the turbo timer isn't hooked up yet, are you letting your car run for a min to allow cool down, or do you just shut it off?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="rhythmnsmoke"]

Hmm... The reason I was thinking about the boost controller, is for my g/f. Incase she didn't feel like having the extra power, she could turn the boost down. If the turbo timer isn't hooked up yet, are you letting your car run for a min to allow cool down, or do you just shut it off?
She just shuts it off, but I've told her to let it run for a minute or so and she told me she does. I doubt it tho.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

[quote="ScionDad"]

She just shuts it off, but I've told her to let it run for a minute or so and she told me she does. I doubt it tho.
lol....I doubt it too, she is a woman (no offense). Guess you'd better hury on that timer project.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is for rhythmnsmoke , i dont know much about turbos, but i thought i read somewhere that using the boost controllet to turn down the boost really doesnt do much good, esp since you are running only 6 to 7 psi, and the wastegate spring is set? I am not sure hopefully someone can clearify, but i thought a boost controller would be more benefitial for people running atleast 10 psi.

Also Sciondad, why is cool off necessary? Is it just a precaution? I never understood the meaning of a turbo timer, and do you need cooling between runs? Or does it not matter then, is the timer just for shutting down?
thanks

Quick Reply: Switched Iridium Plugs - Big Difference - Must for Turbo