Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

tC's going Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:36 AM

Default tC's going Turbo

Okay guys after careful thought I have decided to remove my supercharger and replace it with a turbo. This is the way I should have originally gone, but when I put the supercharger in my tC it only had 3,000 miles on it, and so I went with TRD. BIG MISTAKE! So now my best friend and I are going to correct it. Which reminds me, the supercharger is for sale if anyone is interested... its not even a year old.. and its priced to sell.... so I am looking for eveyones thoughts and ideas.. looking forward to the feedback
Old 09-21-2008, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont understand what your question is?
Old 09-21-2008, 04:38 AM

I say do it! 200-250hp is weaksauce! Step up to the big dogs and lose the TRD
Old 09-21-2008, 04:40 AM

just looking for everyones feed back, people who have turbos and what they have done, any ideas or suggestions on which way i should go.. any ideas are helpful
Old 09-21-2008, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My advice,
DO NOT BUY A USED ZPI KIT. The seals on the 16g's are awful.

I suggest going with dezod or turbotoyotas
Old 09-21-2008, 04:43 AM

i think she is looking for ideas. Her and I discussed how she already has a FF tune, bigger injectors, colder plugs and therm, the MAF is ready for the power. She just needs to swp from a belt driven snail to an exhaust one. One thing I missed earlier was that the TRD flash has the MAF before the SC which is right next to the engine. We either need to tune appropriately or re route the MAF to before the turbo. I'm pretty sure it would be easier to tune with it in the boosted intake, but cheaper to relocate the MAF
Old 09-21-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no no no.

your MAF technically is not supposed to read boost pressure. leave it after the turbo. you WILL NEED to retune it, get even BIGGER injectors, and depending on the kit is how much colder the plugs are.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by tCtCtC
My advice,

I'm almost positive we arent going with a kit. Normally i would, but she has soo much already from the SAC kit that can be reused. Going to do a Rear-mount turbo
Old 09-21-2008, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why rear mount? theres only 1 tc like that and it didnt make nearly as much as just a standard
Old 09-21-2008, 04:50 AM

MAF can be under boost, or in the intake....... just needs to be tuned accordingly. and I dont have the specs on the TRD kit infront of me, but 410 inj are what im looking for.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:50 AM

Im thinking rear mount... as cost effective and still getting the power i want from it..
Old 09-21-2008, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have to be running a small turbo for only 410's
Old 09-21-2008, 04:51 AM

why rear mount? theres only 1 tc like that and it didnt make nearly as much as just a standard
then it wasnt done right! Rear mount or remote mounts in general have been proven time and time again to make just as much power as any other turbo. no offence to who did it, but they missed something when they were crossing the t's and dotting the i's
Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 AM

no no no.

your MAF technically is not supposed to read boost pressure. leave it after the turbo.
out of curiosity, can you clarify this? after the turbo to me means under boost. The rest of the sentence sounds like in the intake. And then why would you say there.

I dont mean to sound like a know-it-all, but i have to ask the questions. My last turbo setup had the MAF in the intake before the turbo. My current turbo setup has it after the turbo, after the FMIC and just before the TB
Old 09-21-2008, 05:07 AM
SL Member

My advice,

They are also the cheapest to replace...

I think the reason the seals are going on most ZPI kits is just the miles being put on them. its just a normal wear and tear issue with turbos.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Throttle Body > Charge Pipe > Turbo > Intake Pipe
MAF should be placed on the intake pipe.

About the seals, i suppose is a normal wear and tear, but my seal blew out in 3,000 miles.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 AM

Throttle Body > Charge Pipe > Turbo > Intake Pipe
MAF should be placed on the intake pipe.

About the seals, i suppose is a normal wear and tear, but my seal blew out in 3,000 miles.

have to agree on the seals not wearing out that fast. If it were a normal wear and tear than no car manufacturer out there would use turbos.

what is your reasoning for it being in the intake? or is that just the only place you've seen it?
Old 09-21-2008, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think its better cause
1) the maf is very fragile
2) its just always placed there
Old 09-21-2008, 06:27 AM

i think its better cause
1) the maf is very fragile
2) its just always placed there

I think you fall in the same category as MANY people who do turbos for a living when it comes to remote systems. They are strange and you havent really dealt with them. There is nothing wrong with that. It's like I said, not too many people have experience with them so they are still like microwave was when it first came out. Noone wanted to stop using the oven to reheat food. Now the microwave is in every home!

http://www.ststurbo.com

read up on how they work. This is NOT where we plan on getting her stuff from, but i think they are the pioneers of remote mount turbos. They have lots of good 411 for people not familiar with the way RMT's work. If you look at the turbos installed, they have the air filter right on the turbo itself. The MAF gets added into the section of pipe from the FMIC to the TB.

some common questions/concerns with a RMT setup are:

+do you lose boost?
No! It will take a little longer to fill the piping with your desired PSI, but unless you have a leak no boost is lost.

+What about turbo lag?
RMT's are sized slightly different than a traditionally mounted turbo. With propper sizing and tuning, turbo lag isn't a real issue with ANY turbo setup and you elliminate the issue from the first question

+what about sucking up water?
RMT cars have been driven through some sever weather with no problems what so ever. Unless you are sitting in a lake and revving hard, then you have no need to worry. If you are the err on the side of caution type, many companies make a cover for your filter. K&N calls their a water sock.

+why remote mount a turbo?
a few reasons. Some times space is an issue. Other resons would be colder air, no special headers or manifolds are needed, or it cuts down on engine temp.... The biggest reason I like them is you can control the pressure differential from the inlet to outlet of the turbine MUCH easier. For those who are new to turbo's thats where your turbine gets the energy to spool. The high pressure moves to the low pressure through the turbine. The bigger the difference the faster the turbine will spool. Obviously other variables are added to the equation, but thats the basic exchange you are using to create the power only a turbo can get. With a good tune, I've seen remote mount turbos net up to 24hp/lb of boost. Thats NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So after her and I talking about this at length, we've decided bolt on kit is not the way to go. We can get what we are looking for SAFELY without replacing half of the already installed performance parts. Its not a cheap thing or a "i know better than them" thing, its just that rework is dumb. Why do something twice when you can do it once.

This should be a fun build none the less. I'm sure Meatball is excited to FINALLY see the gains she hoped to get out of the TRD set up which has nothing but break her heart.

I'm off to bed for the night. If anyone has more input thoughts or suggestions, thats why I asked her to post the thread.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry for just wasting your time

Quick Reply: tC's going Turbo