Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

thinking of going boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Default thinking of going boost

Alright guys I've been a member on here for quite awhile (i think so at least) and I've always followed a lot of the threads and my first big step for my car was to get it on coils and sitting how i want and i believe i have finally achieved it.
now I'm thinking of going boost since i won't have as many college expenses anymore but I'm not really sure which route to go.
I have never owned a turbo'd car before so this will be a hole new experience and I'm looking to boost mine just to make it more fun to drive. not looking to make huge number but I'm thinking a 250WHP would be a pretty fun car to drive and that it could be done with relatively lower PSI (i know this doesn't mean anything)
my question to you guys would it be beneficial to just purchase a complete used kit and slap it on or should i try and piece it together?
Also my 2 biggest questions are what size turbo would be recommend since its a stock motor and stock 5 speed tranny?
Also is the AEM FIC piggy back system enough for this mild set up or do i need to go to a complete stand alone engine management system like greedy Emanage.

Thanks and i really appreciate any input and help you guys can be!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aem fic is the way to go for your setup. also a used kit would be perfect if it complete and for a great price. also u will need a boost and most important an a/f gauge. if you can afford new dezod and ptunning make great kits. dezod would be the more budget friendly kit new and very reliable kit as well. also with the the basic kit that both companies offer u should see 250whp easy @7-8psi
Old 04-29-2014, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

good to hear it sound that im on track lol.
yeah I know that a boost gauge and A/F gauge and boost controller is super important.

I cant afford to go brand new although I would really like to.
my biggest question here is what size turbo would I want as there are so many different kinds such as T3/T4 and different trims and stuff of the turbo
Old 04-30-2014, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to boost life Egobuster1..
For your particular setup a T3/T4 57 trim would be perfect along with a log style manifold for quick spool and affordable cost. Most are rated for 350whp which is more than enough for you with room to expand if you want more in the future.
Now you have to think.. what company you prefer
-GARRETT
-PRECISION
-TURBONETICS
-BORG WARNER
-EBAY CHARGER(Produced in china but offer similar performance to top brands)
I would recommend going to Garrett/Honeywell's homepage and visit the technical info page and get a better understanding of Turbo spec's and Trim sizes. Or just ask us LOl and use the search function because some of your questions have already been asked by others before you.
Stay alert on the classifed area people are always selling turbos and parts and you can piece together a decent kit just from there.
Let us know what else you might need to know.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tom0613
aem fic is the way to go for your setup. also a used kit would be perfect if it complete and for a great price. also u will need a boost and most important an a/f gauge. if you can afford new dezod and ptunning make great kits. dezod would be the more budget friendly kit new and very reliable kit as well. also with the the basic kit that both companies offer u should see 250whp easy @7-8psi
New is always the way to go. If you cant afford one now just save up. In my opinion, if you plan on keeping the car, it will be worth it in the end. If you plan on going crazy with it or selling it, used is a great option as well but, can take time to get that "complete" turbo kit you bought used actually up and running. My Ptuning kit I bought on here was a pretty good deal but he failed to mention he was running a battery delete, and WORLD manifold. Needless to say that tacked on a few hundo to get it modified. Missing V-Band clamps and couplers, little hoses and fittings. It adds up. Just a few things to consider. Oh and one more thing before I forget. Ebay/knock off stuff can be good sometimes. My Raceland exhaust for 250 modded for Vband for 40 and boom cheap 2.5" exhaust. Granted the sound deadening materials is just about gone.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

Yeah I know for sure new is the way to go just really not in the budget and don't plan on keeping the car a real long time unless the turbo set up makes me re fall in love with it lol.
I was thinking some eBay stuff such as maybe charge pipping or IC might be a easy way to save money but as for turbo and waste gate and BOV I would like to stay name brand so that way I know it's gonna work when I need it to and not break at a very bad time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by egobuster1
Yeah I know for sure new is the way to go just really not in the budget and don't plan on keeping the car a real long time unless the turbo set up makes me re fall in love with it lol.
I was thinking some eBay stuff such as maybe charge pipping or IC might be a easy way to save money but as for turbo and waste gate and BOV I would like to stay name brand so that way I know it's gonna work when I need it to and not break at a very bad time.

Boost is basically drug. You have three options on this ride. Go all the way, you have problems and eventually give up, or turn back now while youve been warned! lol If you get a used kit with piping that fits, I dont think you will save any money.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

I think if I takes time I can piece together a nice kit over this winter or so. I'm in no rush and probably won't do it this summer as I don't wanna spend time wrenching on my car as I would rather be riding my bike instead. )

Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

A full bolt on kit not only saves money, give your EVERYTHING you need right off of the bat AND comes with warranties. No headaches, no hassles. Just 1-2-3....Food for thought.

http://www.dezod.com/pd-scion_tc_turbo.cfm
Old 05-02-2014, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

4 grand is just a lot to swing on a new kit

Old 05-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by egobuster1
4 grand is just a lot to swing on a new kit

The kit comes with full bolt on parts and warranties. It's worth the $ in the long run. Race proven technology too.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whether you go new or used, you gotta have the $$ for when things break and go wrong. MOST importantly, you need a good tuner. There should be some good shops in OH, but if not, take your ride over to Dezod. They're only 5-6 hours from Columbus (not sure where you're located).
Old 05-03-2014, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, when you piece together kits, you eventually pay out the 4 grand over the time of getting it to actually work. Save your money and do it right the first time. Collecting parts over the winter is the same thing as saving money over the winter and getting something better for it.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
Also, when you piece together kits, you eventually pay out the 4 grand over the time of getting it to actually work. Save your money and do it right the first time. Collecting parts over the winter is the same thing as saving money over the winter and getting something better for it.
Exactly.