Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

To those with hard pressure plates!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This is why Supras get crank walk all day long. I am putting in a stock disc and using a stage 3 pressure plate in my supra and it is supposed to handle 500 tq until I have enough for a twin or triple disc clutch. but yeah..... I would seriously recommend to everyone to stay away from high pressure pressure plates. stg.3 plates with like a stage 4 disc should be fine for most ppl making high numbers here on the forum.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, that is some serious crank walk. Awesome.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

OUCH!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Indeed! Sucked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2010, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by m6ar2cel6oTC
The pressure plate either with a sprung or unsprung disk. Doesn't matter. 4 puck or 6 puck. Doesn't matter. Pressure plate was culprit and maybe bearing also. Act does have the highest rated disk clutches but comes with a price to pay. The street pressure plate which is only 30% pressure over stock is good. And rated to 545trq.
where did you find this act clutch that only has 30% pressure overstock but hold over 500tq? the one on dezod is 70% over, rated 504 tq

http://www.dezod.com/cat-clutch-sets.cfm
Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
where did you find this act clutch that only has 30% pressure overstock but hold over 500tq? the one on dezod is 70% over, rated 504 tq

http://www.dezod.com/cat-clutch-sets.cfm
this is the pressure plate i have now part #T023 clamp load 32% and rated at 499trq
http://www2.advancedclutch.com/14328...I_(2AZFE).html

i used to have part number T023X clamp load 70% and rated at 645trq
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a very very very stiff pressure plate and I had absolutely no crank walk!!! Sounds to me that the installer of the bearings didnt install the right ones!!! I wouldnt blame the pressure plate as I can guarantee that my pressure plate is ALOT stiffer than that ACT as I have dual Diaphragm springs for the extra clamp load. If you want a less pressure plate and a still have the holding power you need to change the disk out to a 4 or 3 puck. The lesser amounts of pucks the greater the clamp load. Reason being is that more PSI will be distributed to each puck thus allowing for it to grab harder.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what pressure plate do you have? i think highest clamp load is the maxx extreme one which is i think 120% over stock. and the one i used to have was 70% now i have 32% clamp load.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its a custom made pressure plate from my Sponsor.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not just have gotten a twin disc? or what exactly do you have?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A twin disc shortens the input shaft life of the tranny. Thus the reason why Ptuning had problems with 4th gear (1:1 gear ratio). A twin disk is a little over kill for road racing and I dont see a need for it just yet. I have a custom made clutch 4 puck un-sprung disk, with a dual diaphragm spring pressure plate.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bluesciontc
A twin disc shortens the input shaft life of the tranny. Thus the reason why Ptuning had problems with 4th gear (1:1 gear ratio). A twin disk is a little over kill for road racing and I dont see a need for it just yet. I have a custom made clutch 4 puck un-sprung disk, with a dual diaphragm spring pressure plate.
How does the twin disc shorten life of the input shaft? If anything the twin disc actually reduces premature thrust bearing failure due to lower spring rate on the pressure plate vs a single disc of the same tq capacity. No single disc setup is going to compare to properly designed twin disc like the exedy twin or even the CM twin that we ran before, in terms of light pedal pressure with high tq holding capacity.

What's actually breaking 4th gear or even 3rd gear is 500+ wtq shearing the teeth of the drive and driven gear, the gears fail while in gear not during shifts. We contribute the problem to the factory gear metalurgy as well as thermal stress due to the shear amount of heat generated by the enormous load on the M/T. But we are working on a solution for the weak factory M/T for next season.

MrC
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrC_Ptuning
How does the twin disc shorten life of the input shaft? If anything the twin disc actually reduces premature thrust bearing failure due to lower spring rate on the pressure plate vs a single disc of the same tq capacity. No single disc setup is going to compare to properly designed twin disc like the exedy twin or even the CM twin that we ran before, in terms of light pedal pressure with high tq holding capacity.

What's actually breaking 4th gear or even 3rd gear is 500+ wtq shearing the teeth of the drive and driven gear, the gears fail while in gear not during shifts. We contribute the problem to the factory gear metalurgy as well as thermal stress due to the shear amount of heat generated by the enormous load on the M/T. But we are working on a solution for the weak factory M/T for next season.

MrC
This is going from what My clutch sponsor and I talked about while fabricating my clutch for my car. Also Last year you told me that I wasnt making 400+ to the wheels because I hadnt destroyed 4th gear yet from shifting under power so what is it? 400 or 500? and my tC was re tested and it was making 430 to the the wheels and my 4th gear still looks perfect only difference from both of our experiences is you guys run a twin disk and I run a single disc just with a high clamp load pressure plate and 4 puck unsprung hub.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have seen increased wear on some subaru and EVO transmissions using twin and triple discs. This is caused by additional discs riding the shaft. The small movement of the discs on the splines distort the splines over time.

However I'd run a twin disc any day over a single for the main reason this thread was made. Semi trucks make tons of torque. They run 6 to 7 disc clutches. It's unfortunately the way it is. In order to have the ability to transfer all that power and not destroy engine parts or clutch hydraulic parts there is a trade off. Cost and wear. I haven't heard of wear on Scion transmissions but we don't exactly have many people using twin discs either.