Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

TRD/Scion Supercharger BEWARE..

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

supercharger is apart again. This time I totally took everything apart. Turns out it wasn't the bearings at all. The bearings are a little bit damaged, but not from heat or lack of lubrication. Under further inspection the shaft is to blame!! The shaft was manufactured too small to fit the bearings properly! So this is a direct manufacturing problem, taking the shaft back to the dealership to show them and see what they say. Lets hope someone there has a soul and I can still manage to get this ____ taken care of. No way they can blame this on a pulley or other modification as it would be impossible for this to happen for any other reason than a manufacturing defect. I'm worried that the people at Grossinger Scion are too stupid to realize this as they didn't catch the massive shaft play a couple days ago and told me everything was fine. I will post pics tomarrow, the shaft is so worn that the bearings which are supposed to be hydraulically pressed on, I can slide them on and off with my bare hands.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pics would be great maybe thats whats wrong wit mine
Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow thank you for posting this, if i get a supercharger it will not be from trd, i was already disappointed about their ridiculous price and the mild hp boost but this is just too much, and all i have to say is...

W T F MATE?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Technitarded
wow thank you for posting this, if i get a supercharger it will not be from trd, i was already disappointed about their ridiculous price and the mild hp boost but this is just too much, and all i have to say is...

W T F MATE?
Too bad there are no other options for superchargers.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Originally Posted by Technitarded

W T F MATE?
Too bad there are no other options for superchargers.
haha point taken but the whole purpose of me getting a supercharger was so i wouldnt void my warranty but after hearing all that its just not worth it. i looked at some other superchargers and the more reliable ones cost about the same as the turbo kit i was looking at.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

After watching an Auto S/C put down only 156WHP last weekend, I don't know why anyone would be retarded enough to buy one.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem is no one will ever make a post about how great and wonderful their supercharger works. 98% of the problems with the unit are due to installation error. Ask DG about the durability of the supercharger. I bet his has been beat on harder than all the cars on this board. And his unit is modified.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCb00b
The problem is no one will ever make a post about how great and wonderful their supercharger works. 98% of the problems with the unit are due to installation error. Ask DG about the durability of the supercharger. I bet his has been beat on harder than all the cars on this board. And his unit is modified.
Where are you getting your information from 98% because of install problems? Your getting this directly from scion/trd? Did you acutally listen to them when they said "it was installed wrong you didn't torque it right" Anything that comes out of Scion's mouth is a joke so i would shy away from their b/s coments. I am willing to be the shaft being manufactured slightly off tolerance is what is causing most of these problems. Yes i really liked my supercharger when it was working, but now it doesn't and I'm faced with the problem of fixing it. Luckily I like to figure out what happened and why it happened before I fix something so that I can prevent/minimize it in the future. Other supercharger of the same kind last without problems, and I haven't heard anything bad about the 07-08 yet, so I'm willing to be once this shaft problem is taken care of it will run for a long time. Hopefully, but only time will tell.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for the 7 months that mine worked i loved it its the fact that i cant go to the dealer and buy parts over the counter to fix the s/c i dont mind working on cars but when you cant get the parts and you have to peice ____ together and get stuff made up for a newer car my car is out of warranty and the supercharger has 14000+ miles on it and the dealer wants $1100 for a new united and i really dont want to buy a new one every year its come down to find a way to fix the s/c or spend the money and go turbo like i should have from the start or trade in the tc for another car but i realy dont want to do that other than the s/c issue my car is great i love it

and for the power vs price i was happy in the begining my tc put down 217.8whp and 196.6wtq on stock boost stock tune and stock intake i added bosh 110 bpv 4-1 header a custome 2.5 inch header back exhaust with no cats one resonator and concept g axle back and a lite wieght crank pulley i was verry happy with the setup
Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by streettimetc
for the 7 months that mine worked i loved it its the fact that i cant go to the dealer and buy parts over the counter to fix the s/c i dont mind working on cars but when you cant get the parts and you have to peice poop together and get stuff made up for a newer car my car is out of warranty and the supercharger has 14000+ miles on it and the dealer wants $1100 for a new united and i really dont want to buy a new one every year its come down to find a way to fix the s/c or spend the money and go turbo like i should have from the start or trade in the tc for another car but i realy dont want to do that other than the s/c issue my car is great i love it

and for the power vs price i was happy in the begining my tc put down 217.8whp and 196.6wtq on stock boost stock tune and stock intake i added bosh 110 bpv 4-1 header a custome 2.5 inch header back exhaust with no cats one resonator and concept g axle back and a lite wieght crank pulley i was verry happy with the setup
Exactly the same way that I feel about my car. Hopefully my ideas on the shaft and bearings will pan out and I will make a fix for this issue. I have a big advantage over TRD in that I'm doing this for myself and not too make money or to sell things.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CONTACT VORTECH ENGINEERING!!! If it is a manufacturing defect like you say, they should take care of it.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kiss_kiss_kill
CONTACT VORTECH ENGINEERING!!! If it is a manufacturing defect like you say, they should take care of it.
Would all depend on if vortech wanted to admit it, even if they did it doesn't matter, they are by law, not allowed to touch it without TRD's permission. its not worth a lawsuit for them to help me, they won't even talk to you ask soon as they find out its anything TRD related. Its sad that TRD does not allow you to buy parts for it though.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

can u get a lawyer and see if this can be a lawsuit. this should be trds problem. it had nothen to do with ur setup. u have proof in ur hands. i mean at least call one up and see what they say about it.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by goodguy889
can u get a lawyer and see if this can be a lawsuit. this should be trds problem. it had nothen to do with ur setup. u have proof in ur hands. i mean at least call one up and see what they say about it.
By far cheaper to get my shaft fixed. Toyota/scions lawyers get paid in one year what my lawyer will make in 10 lol.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive personally called vortech before about my sc'er, and as soon as i said it was the trd kit for the tc, they immediately said, "oh thats trds part we cant do anything".

the damn guy even tried to tell me that they dont make them which is total bs, calling them was absolutely useless for me...
Old 11-27-2008, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
truth.

stop telling people to call vortech. they licensed the unit to TRD. That means they manage the sale and support.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
Would all depend on if vortech wanted to admit it, even if they did it doesn't matter, they are by law, not allowed to touch it without TRD's permission. its not worth a lawsuit for them to help me, they won't even talk to you ask soon as they find out its anything TRD related. Its sad that TRD does not allow you to buy parts for it though.
Edit: since nobody wants to friggin listen to me.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by java09
nice warning but everyone ALREADY knows this..

sorry.

LOL
Old 11-27-2008, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
Edit: since nobody wants to friggin listen to me.
it's because while well intended, you are still wrong. do some research on what a licensing agreement or private label is first, then you will understand why the phone makes a 'click' sound when you call vortech about this model.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Okay, keep believing that. I'll just keep pretending my s/c that just had issues wasn't fixed by Vortech.

Quick Reply: TRD/Scion Supercharger BEWARE..