Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Trouble Starting Car in the Mornings

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Trouble Starting Car in the Mornings

My buddy has a 06 tc w/dezod s1 kit ,w/aem fic,550 injectors,255 walbro 255 fuel pump,Professionally Tuned for over 4 yrs,Running Smooth,No issues

Here's the Issue,He Daily's the car every day....No issues Starting in the morning,He uses Shell gas and only shell gas,One morning,he had to use another brand gas, Hess cause shell, had no premium gas at that time..He went to hess,got the premium,the Moment he started the car,he noticed something strange about the car,normally the car loves a full tank,but the car felt like it was not responsive,like it usually is,so he thought maybe the fic is sensitive and has to re-ajust itself,long story short....

Next Morning,Started the car as normal,It hesitated bad,almost like,it was getting no fuel,the afrs try to run as they usually do,then after 5 secs,it ran lean like 15.5-16.3...even with the car fully warmed up,it still ran lean,never went back to normal 14.7...So he reset computer,and everything went back as it normal did,stable afrs...This is happening every morning now,Doesnt wanna start,if it does,it runs lean...Any Advice ?

But any other Time of the Day on a Cold start,It starts fine and No issues,Im like WTF...Tune looks fine...Maybe the fuel pump isnt holding pressure any more,idk
Old 06-15-2015, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Maybe he can try a fuel pressure gauge to see if the pump and fuel pressure regulator are working right. Also, try to monitor the fuel trims with a scan tool when the car is running lean when warmed up. If the fuel trims (STFT) are showing that the ECU is trying to add a ton of fuel to richen the mixture, then there is probably a fuel delivery problem.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
Definitely sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Maybe he can try a fuel pressure gauge to see if the pump and fuel pressure regulator are working right. Also, try to monitor the fuel trims with a scan tool when the car is running lean when warmed up. If the fuel trims (STFT) are showing that the ECU is trying to add a ton of fuel to richen the mixture, then there is probably a fuel delivery problem.

Its weird,How all of the sudden using a different brand gas,would cause a problem like this,But then again,I know the FIC is very Sensitive..

He actually put some Fuel System cleaner in,Thinking maybe something was clogged,It did make the car run smoother but still had the problem..Fuel pump been in lil over a year give or take,You think the pump can go out like that ?..But think hes gonna get a new Pump and see what that does
Old 06-15-2015, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I saw a similar post from someone else just last week. He mentioned that the FPR popped out of the housing. It's possible that something might have just come loose after the install. You do have to slightly modify the housing to install the Walbro, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I saw a similar post from someone else just last week. He mentioned that the FPR popped out of the housing. It's possible that something might have just come loose after the install. You do have to slightly modify the housing to install the Walbro, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Interesting,The pump was Installed about 2 yrs ago give or take,So in your opinion,You Think the FPR might of came loose or something,causing this issue ?..Does that regulate the pressure ?My thing is,that It starts fine on a Cold Start at any other time of the day besides Mornings,Just the Over night Thing,that he has Issues with,It Hesitates Starting up The next morning,Almost Like theirs No fuel,Trys to Run Stable Afrs then Just Blanks out and Runs Lean..Resets ECU and its Fine uughhhh lol
Old 06-16-2015, 10:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you link me to that Post ?
Old 06-16-2015, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here you go. Not the exact same issue, but seems similar. Make sure the o-ring on the FPR has a good seal. Probably a good idea to replace the o-ring with a new one from the dealership. First thing's first though, check the fuel pressure at start-up.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...-turns-231062/
Old 06-16-2015, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by my06tc
Interesting,The pump was Installed about 2 yrs ago give or take,So in your opinion,You Think the FPR might of came loose or something,causing this issue ?..Does that regulate the pressure ?My thing is,that It starts fine on a Cold Start at any other time of the day besides Mornings,Just the Over night Thing,that he has Issues with,It Hesitates Starting up The next morning,Almost Like theirs No fuel,Trys to Run Stable Afrs then Just Blanks out and Runs Lean..Resets ECU and its Fine uughhhh lol
Yea, you really need to monitor the sensors to figure out whats going on. Need to look at fuel trims, MAF output and O2 sensor output. I'm betting that one of those has to be out of wack when the car idles lean. You should be able to monitor all 3 with an OBD2 scan tool. Actually, you can monitor the O2 and Maf sensors with the data log function of the FIC. Still need the scan tool for the fuel trims though.

Fuel pressure you'll have to check with a gauge.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, you really need to monitor the sensors to figure out whats going on. Need to look at fuel trims, MAF output and O2 sensor output. I'm betting that one of those has to be out of wack when the car idles lean. You should be able to monitor all 3 with an OBD2 scan tool. Actually, you can monitor the O2 and Maf sensors with the data log function of the FIC. Still need the scan tool for the fuel trims though.

Fuel pressure you'll have to check with a gauge.
Thanks very much for your input/help...Gonna have him check out all this stuff...Esp the FPR...And let you know how it goes
Old 07-07-2015, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So,Something interesting he did,So my buddy reset his ECU in the morning from cold start,car starts fine,however if he doesnt reset from cold start,only in the early mornings,It just Hesitates,And runs like crap from their,coould that mean,something with the tune got messed up ?,is that possible just buy switching to a different gas station,weird..so he invest in a fuel pump even though,it starts fine any other time of day ?..
Old 07-13-2015, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres a update,hasnt driven car in awhile,but he primed the fuel pump before starting the car,for a good 30 secs,it started fine,didnt run lean,but as the car warmed up,it did a small hiccup then ran lean,interesting,wondering if theres a vaccumm leak somewhere,but car starts fine any other time of the day,no issues..dam fic uughh