Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo dilemma!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbo dilemma!?!?!?!

Ok so i've been reading about turbos for years and pretty much know the ins and outs of turbocharging. The here is that i've never actually applied my knowledge and i'm not sure if i should turbo my brand new 07 vehicle. I've been debating about either getting a 240sx or first gen talon to have a project car, but in the end realized it'd be cheaper to turbo my tC. The dezod 07 kit looks really nice but i'm just not sure.I need to hear some disadvantages and advantages or going turbo. I know it'll be alot faster i'm not stupid. I'm just curious like what is everyone getting avg. mpg? Do you think i'll need a new clutch right away? Also our cars could relally use and lsd? Also how long will the engine last if just run like 7-8psi? Technically if i blow something i could switch my whole cae back to stock and get it warrantied? Basically I want to know what else i'll need beside just the kit?
Old 12-26-2006, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i believe my avg mpg is still around 18-20mpg and im boosting 10psi stock exhaust. You will not need a new clutch right away but eventually. That mainly depends on your driving style. If you do alot of burnouts in 1st and 2nd, then yes you will need a new clutch fast. If you stomp the gas everywhere you go, definitely get a new one. Besides that the stock clutch holds up fine. Im roughly 270whp and 285 tq and my stock clutch seems to be fine. I have a good 6 months of driving with it on (turbo has been on for 12 months but ive been gone half). An LSD would be the **** for a tc but there is 2 problems. 1,000 dollars plus another 1,000 dollars (estimates) to get an LSD installed. You will be fine without one but you wont be able to launch the car worth crap. Engine life should be severly decreased either from 7-8 psi. If you blow something on your motor you can swap everything out but if im not mistaken the ECU records driving patterns and RPM's so it will know that you were ******* on your car and they are able to see that. I do not believe warranty will cover that.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Turbo dilemma!?!?!?!

Originally Posted by CRAracer05
Ok so i've been reading about turbos for years and pretty much know the ins and outs of turbocharging. The here is that i've never actually applied my knowledge and i'm not sure if i should turbo my brand new 07 vehicle. I've been debating about either getting a 240sx or first gen talon to have a project car, but in the end realized it'd be cheaper to turbo my tC. The dezod 07 kit looks really nice but i'm just not sure.I need to hear some disadvantages and advantages or going turbo. I know it'll be alot faster i'm not stupid. I'm just curious like what is everyone getting avg. mpg? Do you think i'll need a new clutch right away? Also our cars could relally use and lsd? Also how long will the engine last if just run like 7-8psi? Technically if i blow something i could switch my whole cae back to stock and get it warrantied? Basically I want to know what else i'll need beside just the kit?
The Dezod kit should perform as well as all the other Dezod kits for the 05-06 models.

MPG will always differ with driving style and tune

Clutch is always going to be in your mind if you dont replace it right away. Nothing is worse than having a clutch go out far away from home

If you are using the Tc as your daily driver I would look at F/I in a more serious light and consider " DO i need this power and can I afford this extra power?"
Old 12-27-2006, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you are using the Tc as your daily driver I would look at F/I in a more serious light and consider " DO i need this power and can I afford this extra power?"
ahh...the never ending question..

my dilemma as well
Old 12-27-2006, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Turbo dilemma!?!?!?!

There is a thread that lists everything for turbos thats stickied. If you blow something Toyota will know they can track anything just about there is a black box in the tC. So they wont warrenty it. Lots of people have been running 7-8 psi for awhile but you will need to upgrade clutch more then likly.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just be careful and dont run too much boost that will produce high hp numbers. once you build your motor then your car will be able to handle the hp.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didn't know th tc recorded everything you do so anyways even if i drive my car hard and redline it it'll record that and nothing will be covered, am I right? Aslo the tc engine is designed to handle 7psi from the factory anyway correct me if i'm wrong so decreased engine life at 7 psi would be minimal in my mind(as long as you drive normal)
Old 12-27-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didn't know th tc recorded everything you do so anyways even if i drive my car hard and redline it it'll record that and nothing will be covered, am I right? Aslo the tc engine is designed to handle 7psi from the factory anyway correct me if i'm wrong so decreased engine life at 7 psi would be minimal in my mind(as long as you drive normal)
yup! they know all(turds) yea the engine is descind to hanlde about 7psi so you will be fine.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find that really crazy that they know that they record everything how do they know if you've been boosted, also wouldn't unplugging the battery for awhile erase all the memory in the ecu?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I find that really crazy that they know that they record everything how do they know if you've been boosted, also wouldn't unplugging the battery for awhile erase all the memory in the ecu?
nope....and it does vacume readings and such plus your combustion what not youll runn a bit more richer. things along that line.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they can deifnitely find out how your car has been driven. unplugging it might not do anything if the ecu has a battery to give it a charge.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

wait, you said you have been reading about turbos for years and know in the ins and out....i would assume these kinds of qestions would have been answered in your extensive research....
Old 12-27-2006, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Technically if i blow something i could switch my whole cae back to stock and get it warrantied
And people wonder why denied warranty claims are on the rise If you do this, I hope you're caught and charged with fraud

Seriously, if you're going to mess around with your car, make sure you can pay for your mistakes If you can't, then you should not be doing it.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When i say i know the ins and outs i'm refering to actual mechanics like matching your turbo size to your engine,injector sizing,water meth injerction,different types of engine and fuel management,forged internals that kind of thing. My questions most refer to the fact that engine has no long term testing like say a 4g63 or sr20det to know hey a 4g63 can handle 400-500hp stock internals and raising the boost you cna still get about 20-24 mpg under normal driving.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i didn't know the tc recorded everything you do so anyways even if i drive my car hard and redline it it'll record that and nothing will be covered, am I right? Also the tc engine is designed to handle 7psi from the factory anyway correct me if i'm wrong so decreased engine life at 7 psi would be minimal in my mind(as long as you drive normal)

Remember superchargers and turbos put two completely different loads on an engine. A supercharged engine only sees full boost close to 5K and above where a turboed motor will see full boost much much sooner. A turbo is more of a kick and a supercharger is a linear power increase.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is true and one of the reasons i do not want a supercharger
Old 12-28-2006, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another thing to consider is that toyota techs. will easily recognize the visible traits of having a turbo from taking one peak at your exhaust. After a while (at least) the extra oil that you burn off from racing red light to red light will cake in the muffler like a professional powder coating job :D

I'm not sure about the Scion setups that are offered as kits, but the greddy kit like I had on my Honda requires custom fabrication of the oil lines and oil pan. This procedure is irreversible and is NOT easy to just 'return back to stock' to take back to the dealer.

I know young people (or at least people who have not had a custom/fast car growing up) will want to boost their car sooner or later. You have a great car, so I would say have the project car (240sx FTW!) or wait until the tc is not covered under warranty. New cars have warranties to avoid headaches. I sleep better now Scion has my back