Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo Kit Help/Suggestions!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Turbo Kit Help/Suggestions!!!!!!!

I have a 2 week old 2007 Scion tc and i'm looking forward to installing a turbo kit. I currently have it dropped on teins, twm performance short shifter, and magnaflow 2.50 cat-back exhaust system. I need help on which is the best turbo kit on the market right now. I want to get at least 300HP to the wheels. Most of these kits i saw have the turbos set to 8/8.5PSI(turbonetics/ZPI). Can you up the boost on those turbos once installed with a boost controller and will it get me up to 300whp? and is that safe for everyday driving? This is soon to be my first turbo set up and i want to do it right. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

nothing available for the 07 yet, but soon, ZPI will have exactly what you need... no word on others yet... as everyone is working on getting a turbo adapted for the 07 tC...which is different.

The stage 1 from ZPI runs around 300 and with a boost controller, you can lower a bit for daily driving, as 300 is a TON for on the road power...

Best is always debatable, as there are a million opinions... you're currently at the mercy of unavailability, as no kits will fit your car right now.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Isn't the motor set up on a 2007 the same as any other tc? My friend has a 2006 tc and i think it looks the same.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know you support ZPI and that's a good thing... But when you say no word on others yet that is untrue!

We have been talking about our development for 07s for over 2 months now. All of our electronics are done, and we're only waiting for the flanges for the new MAF to come back form the CNC shop. Everything else is done and we have a working setup for the 07s.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Nope... MAF sensor is different, Header design is different and some subtle internal differences... the 07 has engine changes and 1 more hp as a result.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ATTN: Joe_Dezod

Any way i can get an update on when the 07 kit will launch as well as how much. Can i also get some specs on the 07 kit and what parts it comes with?

I would also like to know if there is any other companies out there developing a kit for the 07 tcs and still which will be the best for a 300whp set up. I've heard good thing about zpi as well as bad. I was also looking into the turbonetics kit but not to sure yet? The only things thats a little iffy to be is that im used to hearing and seeing turbonetics and greddy everywhere as far as the other kits (ZPI/Dezod/SP etc....) im not to familiar with at all. I just want to get a kit that gives me great power outcomes as well as dependable. I also want a company that gives great customer service if anything were to go wrong. I was reading some forums of certain companies never responding to email and phone calls and even certain people paying for kits and never receiving it. I am going to be investing about 5000 of years and years of hard work and saving in this set up and i want to get the best of both worlds. The last thing i want is to see it all disappear with no good outcome. I put a pause on buying a turbo kit for my VWR32 so that i can turbo my tc. I hope im making the right decision.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You could PM him?

Best Three out there are ZPI, Dezod, and Turbonetics IMHO, for Scionlife support and kit support online...

All three of them have great customer service, are able to be reached anyday and the first two are vocal about building an '07 kit.

ZPI is now reaching in many different ways to innovate for the Scion market and is back strong, and learned well from lessons of the past... I talk with them everyday on AIM and you can too if you have questions. Check out their huge tC build and awesome xB powerbuild to see all the innovation they do. Supply issues are a thing of the past and kits are running strong all over the forums. Also, you can start less agressive and build up, as running 300 WHP of the bat, new to F/I, is a bit of a risky jump with ANY setup. There's still a learning curve there.

Kenny from ZPI, and Joe from Dezod are on SL almost everyday, so you're good to go with support! Plus, guys like me jump in ahead and work things out and will help if you have any issues/questions.

Obviously, I'm biased to the people I talk to and work with all the time, ZPI! (and never understand the service issues people talk about... they rock on the phone and AIM, Kenny and Keisha are super nice).

It is the same case with the Dezod and Turbonetics Supporters... but, you'll see great support from everyone for all three options...

Good Luck whatever you choose!

The "Scary" supermod -

-WDS
Old 09-12-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Any idea when the 07 kits will be available for purchase and any price ranges by any chance?
Old 09-12-2006, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Price ranges are going to, or should be near to identical to 05-06 kits...

The good word on the kits for 07 is "Soon" give it a month or less and I bet we'll be there.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thats great news. Im really looking forward to it. I want to have this kit installed before or by summer 2007 because i plan on buying a turbo kit for my R32. By the way do any of you guys have a turbo set up for a VW R32?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Golly... like it needs a turbo.... it's a luxury rocket in itself

I'm installing my ZPI turbo today and tomarrow... (At paint now)

Pics will be up from Scionnight on Friday!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I want to have my car sponsored, any ideas or suggestions?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Now with the 07 tc having internal changes and the 1 more horsepower, does that change anything as far as amount of boost and power it can hold on stock block? Will it be able to hold more or less now?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Should be near to the same tolerances.... it's the tweaks to tuning and sensor locations that make it a bit of a deal to work around... only the next few weeks to months will tell...

Here's a good thread about sponsorships...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133469
Old 09-19-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok. I have one major question about turbos that i never was able to understand. What is the difference in the different types of turbos? For example a 16G vs T3/T4 vs T3/T4 Hybrid or Ball Bearing? I heard that a 16g spools up faster but is limited to the amount of power it produces where as a T3/T4 spools a little slower but is capable of producing more power, is that true? Please educate me on what any of this means because i want to make the right decision. As i stated before i want to get up to 300whp or at least very close to that and i want to know whats the best turbo set up that will give me that power fast. Im trying to keep my friends at car club who all have turbo cars at 300hp or more.

Also what is the amount of boost a stock tc can hold?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It's all debatable on turbo size and such... to match our power curve, the 16G is a really good option for the general user and will get up to 400 no problem, with the correct setup... obviously, some of the larger turbos will be able to run more HP in the end, but then it comes to that delicated balance of neccesary end power to initial spool and curve matching.

Using the 16G, there are ZPI rides at more than 300 no problem...

Pushing over 300 on stock internals starts to get shaking on internals, so that is when the time to change starts rolling in... You can run a stage one on stock internals at 9 psi, but push more, and you'd likely need to upgrade components to match.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

So the turbonetics t3/t4 turbo wouldn't be as efficient? Doesn't the ball bearings make it spool up faster than one that isn't?

Is the 16g ball bearing? and is it externally wastegated or internally wastegated?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It's a really good turbo as well, and the ball bearing setup allows quick spool...

The ZPI kit is externally wastegated, which brings more end power for sure... just a bit of noise...
Old 09-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cwatz5219
Any idea when the 07 kits will be available for purchase and any price ranges by any chance?
Our 07 kit has been released. Please PM or IM me regarding it.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by Cwatz5219
Our 07 kit has been released. Please PM or IM me regarding it.

How much is the kit and where can i purchase it?

Quick Reply: Turbo Kit Help/Suggestions!!!!!!!