Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbo or not

I have an automatic Scion tc and before my dad would not let me void my warrenty, but then he said its your money and if you void it then well if it does something to your engine then you have to pay for the repairs yourself.
questions:
1) if you have the zpi stage 0(auto) how is its reliablity and do you recomend it?
2) is it worth the risk of hurting my car?
3) what are the possible probelms it might cause...how much will the whole set up cost wit BOV and FMIC?

...thanks
Old 03-07-2006, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At age 16, unless you've been working with your dad on cars for the past few years, don't turbo your car.

If you're asking what problems a turbo may cause, don't do it. Honestly.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

There is a GREAT new writeup on turbochargers in the new Turbo Magazine in the April issue. Pick that up.

BTW........I f considering putting a turbo on, I would recommend upgrading all of your internal components(pistons, camshafts, etc.). Could get very expensive though.

But it's the only way to get REAL peace of mind when doing those kind of mods.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Turbo or not

Originally Posted by zucc
I have an automatic Scion tc and before my dad would not let me void my warrenty, but then he said its your money and if you void it then well if it does something to your engine then you have to pay for the repairs yourself.
questions:
1) if you have the zpi stage 0(auto) how is its reliablity and do you recomend it?
3) what are the possible probelms it might cause...how much will the whole set up cost wit BOV and FMIC?

...thanks
dam...you guys are scary man
Old 03-07-2006, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From your post, you should not consider putting a turbo on your car. Just wait for the Automatic Transmission adaptor for the TRD Supercharger. Then just leave it at that until you buy your own car.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm going to suggest waiting for the TRD supercharger fit k it as well. Automatic transmissions are scary when it comes to a lot of power and reliability, and with the TRD kit, you're getting a nice fat warranty.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is true, Its kinda semi my car lol, i payed for like a third of it. but i want power and with the trd puttin out 185 whp and what 195crank...that aint gonna cut it. if i can find a way for this turbo to be reliable then i will do it in a heart beat
Old 03-07-2006, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

how do you know that 185whp in the car isnt going to be enough? 185 compared to 130 is a BIG difference.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned
SL Member

auto-reliable-power...dont think they mix too well
Old 03-07-2006, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just keep in mind, owning a turbo car involves much more than just having a reputable shop install it. Proper maintenance is going to become MUCH more of an issue, and you can always count on something going wrong. If your comfortable with bringing (towing) your car to the shop for every little issue you have well then go for it. IMHO, you should be able to repair some things yourself before you add a turbo kit to any car. Sure you're young and I'm not judging you or anything, but being young means money is hard to come by and I hope this car doesn't end up being a financial bonfire for you. At this stage, I think you should play it safe with your waranty. Whatever you choose to do, wish you the best of luck!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

ya bro. im 18, and money is still hard to come by for a major upgrade like a turbo. not only is it the turbo kit, but its the install, maintenace, problems (and they will happen), engine work. this is gonna cost a lot of money, and i dont know if many of us teens would be able to afford it right now. like bbsciontc said, warranty is the best the recommended way to go, unless you have a lot of knowledge on the turbo and engine work.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well currently its prolly not the best idea. But read up on it ask some knowledgeble people and get help lots of it then youll understand more and then decide weatehr the turbo si worthit. I did that and do think i can do it .
Old 03-07-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Turbo or not

Originally Posted by zucc
questions:

...thanks

Your 16...don't turbo...
Old 03-07-2006, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In defense to my post I meant that after all the reasearch I am willing to take the risk and are very well aware of the reprucutions. If you educate yourself completely iam tlaking about know as much as possible about how turbos work what will happen to the car what will need to be done extra, all the extra maintenance you will need, possible problems, how to fix them......and so on and on and on. when you understand it all rethink if you want it and then decide by then iam sure youll make the most right decision for yourself.

Btw dont let people tell you are 16 you cant turbo I know enough people that are young and have went f/i or heavy engine modification BUT all the successfull ones were the people that did their research. The ones that didnt mindless had it done by some shop, forgot to maintane their car, and drove in boost all day long. Well all of those people now are either driving different cars or arent driving at all so you do have to know what you are getting yourself into.

Educate yourself and you will be fine.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Just remember, you gotta start somewhere! why not start young?!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^lol. Btw why dont you start with small mods and see how you like them. Get or make an intake, Get a crank pulley, Get an exhaust (youll need this anyway when you turbo) get all the stuff that can be used with a turbo and see how you like doing all that stuff and checking how everything works. Also motormounts maybe some suspension. Then after you are done with also and research thatll help you decide.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem is, if he's asking problems like he is, he doesn't know enough.

IMHO, go for a WRX. It costs more, of course, but it won't be that much more than a tC with a turbo.

1. The stage 0 is probably your best bet. It boosts low enough so the auto tranny can hold the power. How long it'll hold is an entirely different matter. Sciondad's tC has a few miles on it and works still.
2+3. There are far too many risks and ramifications and overall things that can go wrong when adding a turbocharger to a factory NA engine. Know your stuff before you even consider adding a turbo. Read Corky Bell's book on boost. That'll be a good place to start.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've read that the TRD supercharger will not exactly be all that great for the auto TC. This is because boost is not developed until you reach at least 4K rpms. If you change the pulley to get more boost, then you will loose your warranty anyway...

Seriously the biggest issue with the turbo kits on the market is the loss of the primary emission control device in the car, the catalitic converter. Depending where you live this will be a huge problem in the future when you take the car to inspection and they scan the OBDII computer. Inspection failures are recorded by the state and when you sell the car even if you remove the turbo to regain re-sale value the inspection failures will show up on carfax and the questions will come.

I've heard some guys with headers have intalled an OBDII compliant cat inplace of the secondaty cat in their TC and have eliminated the CEL error code.

I believe there is a company selling turbos that includes a high-flow cat in the down-pipe in the same location as the stock cat in the TC. This may also be an option -I still need to research this myself.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^well about that - not exactly legal but just dont go for inspection if you are going to ride around with no cat just dont go in for inspection and get it done at a gastation (you pay them 20 - 40 $ and you get your inspection sticker).
Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think i am going t wait for the s/c but do somr other things to it so it stays reliable yet has power

Quick Reply: Turbo or not