Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo passing emission test!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turbo passing emission test!

Anyone have any idea to pass emission test I have greddy turbo an I failed emission test the code say catalic an evaporative system not ready. I reset the ecu check engine light with scanner . when i tookn it to shop the guy plug in scanner the memory still have have catalik an evaporative reading in ecu memory, but check light is gone though any ideas removing it permanently out ecu memory
Old 07-19-2008, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

even though u erase the code u still wouldnt be able too pass emissions cause u still dont have any cats.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I passed emissions in NV with the f/ic and no cats with no CEL, not anti-fouler or nothing like that...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

You need the Anti-fouler mod on the secondary O2 sensor if you don't have it.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by KrazyAzianTC
even though u erase the code u still wouldnt be able too pass emissions cause u still dont have any cats.

Depends on where you live. I have no cats, and they are SUPPOSE to check for that. But they can care less.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Default Re: Turbo passing emission test!

Originally Posted by Rydrdg
Anyone have any idea to pass emission test I have greddy turbo an I failed emission test the code say catalic an evaporative system not ready. I reset the ecu check engine light with scanner . when i tookn it to shop the guy plug in scanner the memory still have have catalik an evaporative reading in ecu memory, but check light is gone though any ideas removing it permanently out ecu memory
how often/soon do you get that code? you know the code#? maybe the code is already there ready to put the light on again..
Old 07-22-2008, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need to drive the car for ~300 miles after you clear the code. OBDII needs a sampling cycle before it clears you.

Put in the antifouler and drive 300 miles, then go test and pass.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my buddy went to ny for emmissions in his boosted gsr. no cats no cel full 3in exhaust and passed
Old 07-22-2008, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Don't you love that feeling....lol. NO cats, no Cel, passing emmissions...to be boosted for another year.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

how are you going to pass the sniffer ?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Move to Maryland. Most of our laws suck but we do have a single Maryland inspection at the time of purchase on used vehicles that is good for as long as you own it.

Could any of these turbo kits be removed prior to inspection? Assuming you had the stock exhaust system still available. Not sure the labor involved, I replaced my xB engine in a week and my buddy in our club replaced his tC motor in 2 days. I couldn't imagine a turbo de-install being much tougher unless piping was welded together after being put in place.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Move to Maryland. Most of our laws suck but we do have a single Maryland inspection at the time of purchase on used vehicles that is good for as long as you own it.

Could any of these turbo kits be removed prior to inspection? Assuming you had the stock exhaust system still available. Not sure the labor involved, I replaced my xB engine in a week and my buddy in our club replaced his tC motor in 2 days. I couldn't imagine a turbo de-install being much tougher unless piping was welded together after being put in place.
^^^ this is only half right we get a SAFETY inspection that good for as long as you own the vehicle but this is different from an EMISSION test which you have to do every 2 years.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no sniffer...no visual...just the obd-2 scanner.

rhythm...didn't you say you would clear your code then immediately drive out of boost to get inspection, and then leave, hit boost, and CEL would come back on? If that's the case, that means they did not check stored codes...which I beleive the guy here does not do either.

next march my next is due, and If I dont' get my new CEL clear by then, I will just load my old map that go no code, pass test, and then load my better running CEL giving map! GOTTA LOVE IT!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by RusWolf
how are you going to pass the sniffer ?
Depending on the year of the car. They don't use the sniffer on my tC. Older cars they do though. Not sure about everywhere else.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
no sniffer...no visual...just the obd-2 scanner.

rhythm...didn't you say you would clear your code then immediately drive out of boost to get inspection, and then leave, hit boost, and CEL would come back on? If that's the case, that means they did not check stored codes...which I beleive the guy here does not do either.

next march my next is due, and If I dont' get my new CEL clear by then, I will just load my old map that go no code, pass test, and then load my better running CEL giving map! GOTTA LOVE IT!

Yeah, that's what I use to do, until recently. I no longer have to clear anything now. I'M CEL FREE!!!!!!!!

Turns out that the only code I WAS throwing ever since being turboed (Secondary O2 sensor), was due to having my Anti-fouler installed the wrong way (exhaust stream >>> drilled one goes first >>>> unmodded one second >>>>and then O2 sensor). I had the Anti-foulers switched around, so that's why it never worked. Fixed that about 2 months ago, now I have been Cel free since.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NICE! yeah, that's the only one I'm getting now, but I'm pretty sure some fine tuning will clean it up...I'm still a little rich at part throttle...if not, I will do the anti-fouler trick as well and be cel free again!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
NICE! yeah, that's the only one I'm getting now, but I'm pretty sure some fine tuning will clean it up...I'm still a little rich at part throttle...if not, I will do the anti-fouler trick as well and be cel free again!

DO IT! They say it's a hit or miss on if it works or not (the cheap way that is), but it worked for me. Reset the computer, and if you get another CEL later, most likely will be for something different. I got a CEL after correcting the fouler, but it was for System To Rich. The weather change made that go away after a while of driving in and out of boost though. Still no tune on the car yet.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no...I used to have a bunch of codes...now only the one P0420 for cat inneficiency, so I'm sure the anti fouler will work...I just want to try a different method with the f/ic first, as I had it that way working before...the anti fouler is a last resort...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank u all for helping i just pass the inspection test I recirc the BOV an it help it from running rich
Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

so if i weld in high-flow cat in my Dezod DP and have E-cutout for those rare days to scare someone.. i will pass right ?

Quick Reply: Turbo passing emission test!