Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turbo scion tc vs g35 coupe? Which more "fun"

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default Turbo scion tc vs g35 coupe? Which more "fun"

I have a 2007 scion tc n/a. Love the hatchback and the overall car but feel like it just does not have enough power. I really want a car that is an adrenaline rush to drive and will knock your head back into the seat.

Option one: Thinking about selling my tc and buying a 2006 g35 coupe. Problem is 0 to 60 I am seeing for g35 only 5.9-6.9 sec. That does not seem very fast to me? Plus I drive in the snow so the front wheel drive of the tc is an advantage for that. How fun is this car to drive compared to the tc? Maybe I could even find a g35 coupe with a turbo on craigslist or have a greddy kit installed myself than it would be pretty powerful and lots of fun. Right?

Option two: Selling my tc. Buying a lower mile one, lots of cheap scions on craigslist and putting a turbo in or buying a scion tc that already has a turbo and bringing the car to a local tuning shop for them to do an inspection prior to me buying. My big question is will a tuning shop AutoArt etc. be able to tell that the turbo and overall internals and everything is in good condition prior to me purchasing the car?

Seems Greddy is one of the well respected brands on this forum?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 04:27 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll answer this!

i went from one of the first boosted tc's here on scionlife to owning a g35!

i absolutely LOVED my g35. my tc was a stepping stone. the g35 felt so much more refined though i did miss boost.

stock a g35 is ~300hp.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems like everyone who isnt dedicated to the tC always gets a car with a bigger motor or something with a turbo from the factory. I love my boosted tc because it is great in the winter, good on gas, and it can carry five adults with plenty of room for luggage.

I know this isnt super relevant but my buddy got rid of his rx8 so fast when the snow hit. Also black friday was fun trying to fit a 50 inch in the back seat LMAO! But for more "FUN" RWD is where the fun is at.

The only person who will know how beat up that motor and turbo are would be the previous owner or if it is torn apart. Get a Dezod kit. Everything you need to bolt it on and head to the tuner.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can afford it then Id always choose the "better" car.
Get the g35
Old 12-26-2013, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

G35 is more fun...
Old 12-26-2013, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do an compression and leakdown test on your engine, that will tell you if your engine is healthy enough to tolerate a turbo. if it isn't, it is probably cheaper to swap in a good used engine than to buy another tC.

the greddy turbo kit for the scion tC is weak sos, lame and cheap. Get a dezod or p-tuning kit.

buying a used G35, like buying any used car, can be a can of worms. is RWD more fun? yeah, but only if you have the opportunity and know how to do so. If you have a normal stop and go commute and nowhere to really play around with the car, you don't get any joy from a rearwheel drive car. My turbo tC was loads of fun because I loved blowing people away with the power it made. My FRS, until it gets a turbo is only fun when I don't have people slowing me down on turns and corners and on/off ramps.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Would have to say get a 350z for the same or cheaper than a G35. But you don't have back seats. If youjust want a daily then go ahead with the G35. But if you still talking about the G35 being turboed, then be prepared to pay nearly double to boost a G35 than to boost a tC.