Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Upgrading my scion

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member

Default Upgrading my scion

Hi there. I'm new to Scionlife, but i heard that this was a good place to go to get some answers for any questions i had for my tc. well, when i get back from iraq in a couple months here i will be looking to add a few things to my scion tc. I was looking at getting a dual exhaust first off. i know that i will have to round out the other side of my rear bumper for the dual exhaust, i'm fine with that, since i know it will look good, but will i have to do anything else or add anything else to my car before putting it on?

Also i will be getting a turbo sometime afterwards so i want an exhaust that can support the full power that a turbo will put out. what other upgrades/modifications to my tc do i NEED to make to support a turbo charged engine? what upgrades/modifications would be ideal- but not absolutely mandatory- would you suggest I look into getting?

And what is a good ballpark price total for upgrading a tc to a turbo?

thanks alot in advance
Old 07-13-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hello and welcome to ScionLife
This is a great place to get answers to lots of questions, but first before anyone else says this,

The sky is the limit

You can power your tC to nearly 1400HP with the funds, the questions WE are asking is how much are you looking to spend?

Technically, you can run of the stock exhaust with the turbocharged engine, or you can run on a full race exhaust, the choice is yours, and having one or the other won't affect reliability of the engine, it will just effect how much power you are going to make

The full exhaust on a turbo can net anywhere betrween 15whp and 30whp.

Gauges are a must, you need to keep your eyes on the engine. Some people will say they aren't necessary, but they will let you know when your car is running good or like crap.

You should also look into some new motor mounts, and if you plan on making a whole lot of power and torque, some new axles, pistons, and rods.

If you are looking to run under 280whp, i wouldnt suggest the rods, pistons, or axles, but it would be ideal to have them.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^X2 what he said
Old 07-13-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only production dual exhaust right now is the one made by precision muffler. i wouldnt suggest getting that if you are going turbo becuase the way the connect the mufflers is a t-pipe and that is just horrible for exhaust flow. if i were you i would stick to a single muffler cat back, such as the magnaflow or some sort.

and as far as turbo, imho the best out their rite now is turbonetics, unless you live near ZPI racing then i would go with them, but guessing from your SN you live in cali, and to be honest i wouldnt deal with ZPI on a phone to phone basis.

I would plan to spend around 7k for everything which includes, but is not limited to:
-Turbo
-S-pipe
-Cat Back Exhaust
-Tires(you will want hte extra grip so you can actually put power to the ground)
-ETD- you will want an engine torque damper once again.. so you can put the power you have to the ground.
-Gauges-as the quiet things said.. you want to keep an eye on your engine

Its not cheap, but no one ever said it would be. if you are gonna do something do it right, dont do half-assed jobs that will comprise the integrity of your engine.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from completely bare-___ stock to "reliabley" turbocharged, I'd ballpark about $8,000 after all is said and done.

1. Turbocharger kit itself. Dezod, Turbonetics, or Sound Performance
2. Stronger clutch would be a very good idea
3. The full exhaust of your choice, not necessary but you're asking about one
4. Gauges/gauge pod, pretty much mandatory.
5. Professional tuning, it would be stupid if you didn't do that
6. turbo timer, not necessary but a good idea
7. fix it tickets/impound fees since you're in CA, it will happen.

plus the cost of shipping and the cost of installing, any missing parts, install errors, or other problems. I'd say 8k would be a very safe estimate.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member

thanks alot for the info. ya i'm looking to spend around 6-9 grand on it. like you said, i definately don't want to half-___ it and pay for it later on. i want to do it right, so i'm trying to get the best idea of what exactly is needed for my upgrades and the viabilty and reasons for upgrading each part of my car.

thanks again for the help. i'll be coming back to check this thread often, so anything that you can offer to help expand my knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

and if you didn't know, you get a fat military discount on a Turbonetics kit. 20% off MSRP. If you have any questions on that let me know. Good luck and keep your head down!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
from completely bare-butt stock to "reliabley" turbocharged, I'd ballpark about $8,000 after all is said and done.

1. Turbocharger kit itself. Dezod, Turbonetics, or Sound Performance
2. Stronger clutch would be a very good idea
3. The full exhaust of your choice, not necessary but you're asking about one
4. Gauges/gauge pod, pretty much mandatory.
5. Professional tuning, it would be stupid if you didn't do that
6. turbo timer, not necessary but a good idea
7. fix it tickets/impound fees since you're in CA, it will happen.

the turbonetics kit comes with the unichip that is already pre tuned.. so you would only have to tune if you desperately wanted to, but its not necessary

plus the cost of shipping and the cost of installing, any missing parts, install errors, or other problems. I'd say 8k would be a very safe estimate
Old 07-13-2006, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could start at dezod.com
Old 07-13-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

It depends on the turbo kit you want to go with, but like everyone else has mentioned, your looking at 8k roughly.

If you want to be among the fastest tC's on the street, then go with ZPI or do a custom setup. If you want more bling, go with Turbonetics, and then from there, it's just your choice.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

He said he wanted to get a kit, not wait for kit

the turbonetics kit comes with the unichip that is already pre tuned
I'd never run with a pre-tune. All cars are different, even if they're the same make/model.

And he says he doesn't want to cut corners, so professional tune it is ;)
Old 07-13-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Hence the reason a staff increase has been taken place, and a new V.P. of Business is aboard. Looking to change that around. Also, kits have been going out the door like there is no tomorrow.

If you roll up next to a ZPI powered tC, you better have your game face on if you choose to go with another turbo kit.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the turbonetics kit comes with the unichip that is already pre tuned
I'd never run with a pre-tune. All cars are different, even if they're the same make/model.

And he says he doesn't want to cut corners, so professional tune it is ;)
please refarin from the comments. it was a suggestion by another member this does not need to turn in to a war.

As far as your options, you have ZPI,Dezod, Turbonetics, Sound Performance, and then Custom. So depending what you are looking you can go as alow as 230whp zpi stage 0, mid range 240-270whp dezdo/turbonetcis/sound performance, High power, 300whp+ zpi stage 1, dezod stage 2( dont think its avaliable yet,) you have alot of options out of the box. But your best bet is get kit, gauges, Tuning(even if it comes pretuned, and pro install I highly recommend(see peteyd saga) anything else you can ask one of the sponosors directly.