Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

vac lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default vac lines

Ok so my ZPI stage 0 is installed but running like ____...I am having every problem in the book. I am starting to think my vacume lines are wrong. I have them connected right next to the green evap is this ok? Also what are you supposed to do with the breather hose that was connected to the intake but is not accomodated by ZPIs kit? I went and got a breather filter but it does not fit. I am currently experiencing the smell of burnt oil every time i get anywhere and if I accelerate quickly I get all kinds of bad noise from the engine compartment sounds like it could be the engine but I am unsure it could just be the intake which has no mount points moving around. My boost gauge was missing a part when it got here so I have another one on the way along with an A/F PLEASE help me I have no idea what is wrong. What did I do wrong? send me vac line pics if possible.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bring that intake pipe to get the right size breather hose. Does the stage 0 u have come w/ a bov? if thas make sure that is conneceted properly to the throttle body vacuum line. If the car is running bad, i advise to drive it very carefully and dont' hit boost till everythign starts to run good. Does the stage 0 kit requireing priming the car... meaning cranking it so oil gets in the turbo? Is there also smoke coming out of ur exhaust? if so what color? i have the turboonetics kit but i can send u a pic of the way my vacum lines were installed.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

get an extra port welded on just for that breather hose that would have to be exteded just to reach? Yes, HKS. It required priming and it was done. No smoke just the smell
Old 07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: vac lines

I just left that breather tube into my valve cover open, no filter or hose on it. 5k miles and no problems thus far. If zpi does the install, they leave this tube open as well, so I dont think you have much to worry about. As far as what you are smelling, if you dont see blueish/white smoke i would say you are ok. You are probably smelling the car running pig rich, my car smelled awful for a few days after my install. As for the "bad" noise, are u sure its not just the sound of the open wastegate (it can sound pretty loud and violent at WOT). I will try to get you a pic of my vacuum lines if it stops raining here today.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default oil return line

how is your oil return line run? I can not figure out how to run mine without touching the extremely hot downpipe or getting a kink in it...I am guessing this line touching the down pipe is what is causing my oil burning problems
Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

describe this loud and violent noise of your wastegate
Old 07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my oil drain line is cut pretty long, so as to loop out away from the downpipe and then down to the oilpan, but it isnt so long that it droops below the drain bung. The open wastegate will sound like a HUGE exhaust leak, because that is pretty much what it is. I dont really know how else to describe it, except maybe it sounds like an N/A car with an open header at WOT.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a vacuum line that is connected to the port on the throttle body (shown above) on one end, and to the port (shown below) on the other end. My Vac lines to my wastegate, my boost gauge, and my HKS BOV are all Tee'd off of this line. I hope that helps. Any questions lemme know.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default vaclines

My lines are exactly the same and I am going to get a longer return line tomorrow to get it away from the down pipe. Does your check engine light ever come on? Can running so rich for a few days till my ecu adjusts screw up my car?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car did have a check engine light. Due to your catalytic converter being gone, your secondary O2 sensor (the one in the s-pipe) is getting a crazy reading, therefore throwing a CEL. You can eliminate that by installing this antifouler mod from InLikeFlint:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=175210

It's well worth the 25 bux, It got rid of my CEL and it is still off 4000 miles later. As for running rich hurting your car, it shouldn't be running so rich as to mess anything up. Go over everything again and make sure all your vac lines are tight, your piping couplers are tight, your turbo manifold bolts are tight, etc. Then I suggest unplugging the battery cables for a period of time and letting the ecu reset itself. I also URGE you to get a boost gauge and a wideband if you don't already have one.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also with out something to tune partial throttle boosting(dezod black box for example), you are going to want to avoid going into boost at anything other than near WOT, which is going to be fairly difficult to do without the boost gauge. unless you have your part throttle stuff tuned its ***** to the wall, or drive like a grandma on sleeping pills.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vypa
also with out something to tune partial throttle boosting(dezod black box for example), you are going to want to avoid going into boost at anything other than near WOT, which is going to be fairly difficult to do without the boost gauge. unless you have your part throttle stuff tuned its ***** to the wall, or drive like a grandma on sleeping pills.
Yea I forgot all about the black box, I highly suggest getting one with Joe Dezod's pre-tune on it. That's what I'm running, and my part throttle afr's are in the 11.5 range.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what does white smoke at start up mean?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as its not excessive (like you're running a fog machine or something) its normal from a tc