Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

A very tough choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A very tough choice

So I have 2 possible kits I can get slightly used but still flawless both are going to cost $2500

option a is the greddy tc kit w/ ultimate and 440 injectors

option b is dezod s1 w/ blue

or option c TRD Supercharger(stays smog legal in cali)

Help me choose

note I'm not going for HUGE numbers I'm running an 06 auto, shooting for 240 for now and then will build the tranny and shoot for 300 but thats max don't need anything more than that last time I had a car with more than 300hp I got pulled over on I-5 by a helli
Old 06-17-2009, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Dezod.

Greddy is crap and the TRD S/C only makes about 156WHP on an auto.

/thread
Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is there a reason you say greddy is crap, I ran greddy back in the day on my track del sol it was great
Old 06-17-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing the Greddy Kit has to hold over the Dezod Kit is the Ultimate.. otherwise for best Performance and Reliability, go Dezod.. plus.. if you ever need any help, everyone is on the Forum, and they get back to you within minutes.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

156 hp on an auto?.......are you sure?......i thought they were right at 200hp carbon. Not doubtin just checkin.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by gingles
156 hp on an auto?.......are you sure?......i thought they were right at 200hp carbon. Not doubtin just checkin.
I watched a S/C auto put 156 down to the wheels at PTuning. It had no supporting mods, so naturally an exhaust/filter would help a lot...but I kid you not. 156WHP. It made 10 less WHP than a 5-speed with I/H/E.

Originally Posted by stillettoDSM
The only thing the Greddy Kit has to hold over the Dezod Kit is the Ultimate.. otherwise for best Performance and Reliability, go Dezod.. plus.. if you ever need any help, everyone is on the Forum, and they get back to you within minutes.
The Ultimate isn't an advantage for the Greddy kit because you can use the Ultimate with the Dezod kit.

Plain and simple, Dezod S1 is the best entry level turbo kit for the tC.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with you on the dezod s1 kit......and i feel sorry for the auto tc...haha....2 grand for 30 hp......bahahaha.....
Old 06-17-2009, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dezod s1 and sell the blue and get the ultimate!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would love to see some facts to back up that greddy kits are crap. everytime i look at a post someone is talking bad about there kits. Do you guys relize that they have been making turbo kits longer then most of these other companys have been in buisness (with the exception of HKS). there kits have aliminium piping with beads on them , a well matched turbo at a extremely reasonable price. i personally have owned 3 differnt greddy kits and known personally atleast 6 other people with them. so please if anyone has any proof that there kits are crap please do tell if not please dont speek outta ignorance.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

i'd say go w/ Dezod S1!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

some greddy stuff is crap......but if you notice.....almost everyone buys their turbo's......i admit they make some bad ars turbos.....never been a fan of their kits though.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any "turbo-kit" should fit and function as advertised, the Greddy Kit does this well but people who make the leap into F/I tend to continue modifying further. The parts supplied in the Greddy kit don't leave much room to go as far as most would like to go. The kits aren't crap but the more reasonable route to go for any boost addict is the Dezod. Like it was said before, the customer support is worth it's weight in gold. Just my two pennies.

P.S. I run Turbonetics. I was debating between Greddy, T-Netics, and Dezod. Found a great deal on T-Netics and their warranty rocks my socks. Different strokes for different folks is all.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very true.....it depends on what the op is looking for......if he wants to continue his quest for higher hp, then dezod deff. And yes the customer service is amazing......one question can be answered with a phone call.....any question.....probably the two best bets are dezod and ptuning.....as they are the ones on top of the scion community......i went with a custom route as it was more my style and affordability.....Ive often considered getting the dezod mani and downpipe because of the flow characteristics.....as far as being smog legal i believe dezod offers a downpipe that will pass emissions. if i were him i would go with the s1 kit and get an ultimate further down the road. blue will be fine for now.....there are alot of boosted cars on the blue with no problems.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If emissions is an issue, I believe Turbonetics also has a kit (not for 2500 bucks) that has a cat built onto the downpipe like factory but I'm not too sure if it is CARB legal. I have never had an issue getting any minor/installation help or problem getting resolved extremely fast with Turbonetics. I went this route because of the bolt on ease and moderate room for improvement without getting to the point of a custom set-up. The only goal for power I wish to reach (daily driver and HAS to be reliable) is 300 whp. I'm at 261 @ 7.5 psi on kit provided tune. Just a slight adjustment to the wastegate screw to 9.5 psi and a tune from Central Florida Turbo on the F/IC and viola!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not a tough choice at all I would go with dezod
Old 06-17-2009, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I watched a S/C auto put 156 down to the wheels at PTuning. It had no supporting mods, so naturally an exhaust/filter would help a lot...but I kid you not. 156WHP. It made 10 less WHP than a 5-speed with I/H/E.

Originally Posted by stillettoDSM
The Ultimate isn't an advantage for the Greddy kit because you can use the Ultimate with the Dezod kit.

Plain and simple, Dezod S1 is the best entry level turbo kit for the tC.
I didn't mean it like that, cause yeah.. an Auto with Ultimate is reccomended anyways, what I meant was that the Greddy Kit he mentioned already came with it.. the Used Dezod Kit he listed didn't. THAT was the only advantage, that it already comes with it.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Our kits are offered with all of the componentry needed to pressurize your intake manifold including fuel and engine management. The kit is VERY comprehensive, offers a lot of power and room for expansion. With the current pricing as well, you can not go wrong. Free freight included!

http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-s1-sciontology.cfm
Old 06-17-2009, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh snap....free freight
Old 06-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

oh snap....free freight
Yepperz!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Definitely go with Dezod. They make a great product and offer amazing customer support.

Quick Reply: A very tough choice