Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Well Lance tuned my AEM last night it made 300whp but....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Well Lance tuned my AEM last night it made 300whp but....

Well we put my car on the dyno last night with the AEM hooked up, but the damn boost creep has come to haunt me once again. The car has a .5 bar spring in a TIAL waste gate, I also have a Greddy Profec boost controller. We started the tune with the stock boost and this is what happens. The car boosts 8psi then around 4500rmps when the car is supposed to make the most horses and then creeps its way up to 12psi the air/fuel is at a nice 11.5 all the way AEM senses the boost and adds the right amount of fuel in real time. The car made 300whp like that, the car is also letting out a high pitch whistle in boost maybe indicting a boost leak some where but it was late so we couldn’t mess with it too much more. We used the Greddy boost controller to up the boost to 12psi and mess around with the gain on one run we got it to stabilize at 12psi at 4500 but had to let off because it spiked up to 14psi and the AEM killed the engine (another nice feature of the AEM.) The logs in the AEM showed no knocking in the engine either. I know another guy with the same setup he runs 12psi all day everyday driver been running for over a year now and he rags his car. Lance seems to think that the leak has something to do with the boost creep, the turbo is a big turbo he thinks that the turbo tries to compensate for the leak but over compensates in high rpms thus the spiking in the boost. So the saga continues. I'll tell you what though, the car runs real hard spins tires in second right from 4000rpms to 7000rpms. In third gear… man the car really gets up. I can’t wait to fix the rest of these problems I am sure the car will make 330-340whp if I can get it to run right. I think the leak is coming from the BOV or maybe a hose clamp.I have an HKS SSQ, has anyone else had any of these problems that can offer a little help.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn nice just get the boost leaked fixed rasta and youll be strait!
Old 08-16-2006, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gt35r aint to big for us?????
Old 08-16-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think hes running a T4 60 trim
Old 08-16-2006, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I am runnin a T4 60 trim Ball Bearing turbo. the back housing a little bigger than a GT-35r. Mine is a 3" downpipe also.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

get another manifold fabbed up and run twin external gates...maybe that would help...it would look dope as hell
Old 08-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Default Re: Well Lance tuned my AEM last night it made 300whp but...

Originally Posted by Rasta
The car has a .5 bar spring in a TIAL waste gate, I also have a Greddy Profec boost controller. We started the tune with the stock boost and this is what happens. The car boosts 8psi then around 4500rmps when the car is supposed to make the most horses and then creeps its way up to 12psi........The car made 300whp like that,.............I think the leak is coming from the BOV or maybe a hose clamp.I have an HKS SSQ, has anyone else had any of these problems that can offer a little help.
There is your 1st problem. The GReddy valving is VERY innaccurate, and I have been telling people that time and time again. That could be causing the erratic response on boost. Take off the boost controller and see if the car still creeps.

Secondly, with respect to the HKS valve, make sure your using that o-ring otherwise you will leak. Furthermore, this BOV is good under high boost and low due to the push-pull deisgn of the valve itself. It has an adjustment screw which may have to be played with to solve it's sensitivity.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem is your turbo is too efficient for such low boost. You need a larger wastegate, try 40mm or 45mm. What's happening is the turbo is blowing so much air that the wastegate can't open enough to keep the boost stable. By using a larger wastegate, it can let out more air, which in turn will stabilize boost.

Also, as Paul mentioned ditch the profec piece of garbage. I've always been a fan of the blitz which can do so much more and has dual solenoids.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel
The problem is your turbo is too efficient for such low boost. You need a larger wastegate, try 40mm or 45mm. What's happening is the turbo is blowing so much air that the wastegate can't open enough to keep the boost stable. By using a larger wastegate, it can let out more air, which in turn will stabilize boost.

Also, as Paul mentioned ditch the profec piece of garbage. I've always been a fan of the blitz which can do so much more and has dual solenoids.
Amen brother.

BTW, I was leading to the larger wastegate premise, wanted to rule out that it just was not the inconsistencies of the Profec.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Well Lance tuned my AEM last night it made 300whp but...

I did turn of the boost controller and the creep was still there...I just put the BOV out of the box on pipe I think it comes with the oring installed right? I could be wrong

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
The car has a .5 bar spring in a TIAL waste gate, I also have a Greddy Profec boost controller. We started the tune with the stock boost and this is what happens. The car boosts 8psi then around 4500rmps when the car is supposed to make the most horses and then creeps its way up to 12psi........The car made 300whp like that,.............I think the leak is coming from the BOV or maybe a hose clamp.I have an HKS SSQ, has anyone else had any of these problems that can offer a little help.
There is your 1st problem. The GReddy valving is VERY innaccurate, and I have been telling people that time and time again. That could be causing the erratic response on boost. Take off the boost controller and see if the car still creeps.

Secondly, with respect to the HKS valve, make sure your using that o-ring otherwise you will leak. Furthermore, this BOV is good under high boost and low due to the push-pull deisgn of the valve itself. It has an adjustment screw which may have to be played with to solve it's sensitivity.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always thought the wastegate size was the problem the only thing is it is not an easy task to change it to larger one, it will take a lot of modifications. Something I fear I might have to do.

Amen brother.

BTW, I was leading to the larger wastegate premise, wanted to rule out that it just was not the inconsistencies of the Profec.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:55 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I always thought the wastegate size was the problem the only thing is it is not an easy task to change it to larger one, it will take a lot of modifications. Something I fear I might have to do.

Not really that hard.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=5955&
Old 08-17-2006, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The flanges are totally different, not only that, the dump back into my down pipe will most likely have to be removed and done over. The only thing that sucks is that if go though all this and it does not work. I just bought a TIAL 35mm to replace the Evolution waste gate I had before thinking maybe it was the WG.

Not really that hard.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=5955&
Old 08-17-2006, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

35MM may still be too small. I think they have 38mm and 40mm.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

35MM may still be too small. I think they have 38mm and 40mm.

I meant 38mm I am thinking of going a 44mm. Is there any disadvantages to going too big, because I don’t want to go though this **** again.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There should be no compromise in a larger wastegate except for sound, price and size. Since you are running to the exhaust, sound won't be a problem. Price is a bit more and the larger size makes it a bit more difficult to mount.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

There should be no compromise in a larger wastegate except for sound, price and size. Since you are running to the exhaust, sound won't be a problem. Price is a bit more and the larger size makes it a bit more difficult to mount.
Go 44. Nice gate and V-band discharge baby! Yummy.

http://dezod.com/pd_tial_mm.cfm

Old 08-17-2006, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the one I am going to purchase, I am glad you posted because I have a question for you. The v-band flanges might make it easier for me. I see the flanges on the WG now isn’t supposed be flanges to be welded on the header and the dump as well?

Go 44. Nice gate and V-band discharge baby! Yummy.

http://dezod.com/pd_tial_mm.cfm

Old 08-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

This is the one I am going to purchase, I am glad you posted because I have a question for you. The v-band flanges might make it easier for me. I see the flanges on the WG now isn’t supposed be flanges to be welded on the header and the dump as well?
I think it will make it life a bit easier with the V-band scenario.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it will make it life a bit easier with the V-band scenario.
Do they sell the flanges for header and dump separate?

Quick Reply: Well Lance tuned my AEM last night it made 300whp but....