Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

what you guys think? opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default what you guys think? opinions please

well heres the scoop. im planning on going FI someday, not anytime soon tho probably couple years haha,but i was thinking since im not planning on going turbo for a couple years would it still be a waste to buy an intake or header? i mean if i could go turbo right now i would, but thats not in the budget right now hah. so i was thinking about getting an intake or header to feed the urge to do a performance mod =)
what you guys think? hold off on the i/h/e until i get a turbo?or should i go for it then sell them in a couple years when im ready for a turbo?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i guess it depends on your goals.....the only thing you can use from the i/h/e on the turbo setup is the exhaust......in a couple of years, selling the intake and header will only get you like 150 bucks, and that might be generous.....i think for the money, (intake = 250, exhaust = 350, header = 350) around $1000, you'll feel a gain, but won't be worth it if you go fi.....ever thought of financing a turbo, etc....
Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go for it and send it when you go FI.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hmm i HAVE thought of financing a turbo..but didnt go thru with it for some reason haha i also doubt i have the funds right now to spend on the install,tune,guages and all the fun stuff needed to get a turbo properly working
if im gonna go turbo i wanna get it done right
Old 06-26-2007, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

id say just save the money and you'll get the boost faster. Thats an extra $1k right there if not more.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

If you are sure your going fi then id continue to save for it. If you want something right now then purchase the exaust.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

if you don't mind making payments, finance the amount it would take for all the extra goodies (gauges, tunes, etc).....but thats if you really have the urge to be boosted now....if not, wait it out cause it will be really sweet once you get it.....first time you hear your own bov sound go off.....i'm tellin you, biggest grin of your life.....
Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

save up for it, you wont regret it. i/h/e will not even come close to givin you the power that a turbo will crank out, so if you arent looking for speed right away, then just save for it.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

alright cool thanks guys
and i know what you mean about the sound of a turbo. i drove my friends wrx and man it was fun hah
Old 06-27-2007, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I understand being on a budget..........

First get your exhaust right...........intake..........do not go cheap.........get Injen intake..........headers,mid pipe,resonator,all the rest...........get it to flow.......what goes in must get out.........

Next Tranny............build the clutch..........spend the money on the good stuff.......lot of parts available............if auto.........there is nothing avail but synthic.......or full race.........

Next ripp off the head and port it an polish it......have a good shop do it.........cost less than $600.......the smoother the air goes the faster it goes............boost it and it will go better.........I am a turbo fan...........but a SC will get you there fine..........there are racing valves and springs and every thing for this motor.............

Also build the bottom end of the Toyo motor..........it is a weak part of any motor..........there is a lot of parts available for this 2.4............a lot.............
Get a better throttle body............not too big.............but there must be a bigger one.............

this is a tough little motor.......and it has a lot available...............once you have all this start tuning with a laptop and it will fall together.............

for most builders it is cash that kills a car...............get a good plan before you start.............goto the shops and talk to the guys..............find out what they think works.............then goto another ...........find out what they think...........time is free....................

this car should be able weight wise........motor wise........gear wise........do at least 12s............day in and day out.............and be a dependable ride...............

total cost to do it...............$6000.............I have built a lot of cars...........went to WYO Tech.................it can be done...........

the amount of good parts out there are stunning ..............go get them...........
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you don't think you'll be in a position to boost for a few years, I would say go for it, you'll use the I/H/E long enough to enjoy them, knowing you won't be making any where near the power, and you won't get your money back, but then again its something you can do piece by piece and still have fun and wrench on the car, if you were a few months out, I would say save, but there is no way I could sit and wait a couple years without doing something to the car...

then again you could put the money into handling mods, or other things that wouldn't be replaced when you boost, just a thought, but I know what the itch to mod is like, I gotta do something...NOW!! lol
Old 06-27-2007, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, I got more enjoyment out of springs, sways and a short shifter then out of my exhaust. But my buddy wiht the exhaust and intake does sound real sweet. Power increase is negligable.
And the headers rasp is just horrible, and ruins the whole thing for me. For what, 10HP? That you loose 3of cause you have to throw resonators on to mask the sound?
I say if youre gonna boost, save as much as you can, but do some suspension and tranny work to get some more fun out of the car.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:09 PM
SL Member

whats up with all the dots?? i about had a sezieure reading that post.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree. Suspension and tranny is what you want to focus on right now. Don't start modding the engine until you're buying turbo parts.

Definately do NOT finance anything. If you have payments on a turbo kit and something happens to either the kit or the motor, then you may be tighter on cash than you can handle. I'd just save up, and plan to spend about $5,000-6000 with a turbo kit, clutch, exhaust, adn some other goodies that will make some great power.

For now you can do GOOD coilovers (like H&R or Progress) and a sway bar upgrade. Parts from Ingalls here and there help to make a nice difference too.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gotta go with joe here... don't waste precious funds on something you can't re-use... You can have a car that will outhandle 80% of cars out there with what you're talking about spending and that way when you get the TC you won't be a drag queen
Old 06-27-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thanks again guys im def gonna be getting some springs or coilovers and a sway bar
what you guys think about getting the nst pulley set? i can use that with the turbo too so good investment? im gonna slowly be building up for the turbo so any help with other things i can buy that i can use when i get the turbo
Old 06-27-2007, 09:40 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by HaYnSktC
thanks again guys im def gonna be getting some springs or coilovers and a sway bar
what you guys think about getting the nst pulley set? i can use that with the turbo too so good investment? im gonna slowly be building up for the turbo so any help with other things i can buy that i can use when i get the turbo
the more mone you spend on that other crap, the longer you will have to wait till you get your turbo.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can get the speed source motor mounts which will help then with the turbo, and now with lauches.
some stickier tires, or ligher rims and stickier tires.

Oh, and a short shifter. DEFINATELY a short shifter.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well im not in too much of a hurry to go FI even tho i know its fun..i wanna make sure i do it right the first time so i wanna kinda build up the engine so its boost friendly and safe so what would help me out? pistons? cams? etc?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pistons rods and bearings. That would be building the bottom end, which will help keep your boost from killing your car, and let you push it harder.
Dezod has them and TurboToyotas should have some soon.

Quick Reply: what you guys think? opinions please