Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

White SMOKE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default White SMOKE!!!

i have huge clouds of white smoke coming out of the exhaust i have a turbo could it be the seals or piston Rings? lemme kno plzz.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 PM

white smoke is bad. you blew a head gasket or crack a cylinder. white smoke is when water gets into your combustion camber.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

White smoke is a leaky head gasket and a sign of coolant leaking into the cylinders. Piston rings would be blue.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mainly Ive noticed this with synthetics, but alot of oils look closer to white when they burn as opposed to blue. The best way to tell is smell - if it smells like crap its oil, if it has a sweet smell, its coolant. Coolant smoke also tends to dissipate a lot quicker, oil smoke tends to linger. Best thing to do would be a compression test.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a similar situation goin on. Ive replaced my turbo, and have done all of the obvious like checking my return line, compression test, etc. For some reason, i still have oil pushin thru the compressor side of the turbo. Im seriously stumped. Lol. Sorry for the tiny thread jack.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

np thx for your input before this happend ive been seeing my coolant in my resevoir goin down pretty fast and theres oil coming up from oil feed line to the turbo and theres oil everywhere on the block so i duno im praying mayb its sumthing simple but if not then im "SOL" and what should be compression be around when doing the test leeme kno and if anyone else has anything else plz let me kno thx again.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by J-List
np thx for your input before this happend ive been seeing my coolant in my resevoir goin down pretty fast and theres oil coming up from oil feed line to the turbo and theres oil everywhere on the block so i duno im praying mayb its sumthing simple but if not then im "SOL" and what should be compression be around when doing the test leeme kno and if anyone else has anything else plz let me kno thx again.
Bingo. Cracked head. It's unfortunately a crack, doubt it just your gasket. That really sucks man, but quit driving it until you get it figured out because you don't want to ruin your bottom end. If you can save your bottom end, you'll want to do that because a head is cheap, really cheap. But yeah, anytime that coolant is dropping like crazy and you got smoke, bam, it your head everytime. Or sometimes like these guys are saying, a cracked wall or something, but I doubt it in this case. And it's definitely not just your rings, that wouldn't cause all of this, that would only cause a little blow-by or something, but you got problems. Quit driving it, my only advice.

Oh and compression is going to wanna be around 180psi or so for our motors if you were still wondering.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This happened to me once while I was in Germany to my little beater car. Blew the head gasket BAD!! White smoke out the ___ end. No oil in the bottom end, no coolant...Stop driving the thing, rip the head off. Check the gasket, look for cracks, if nothing visible, might want to see if you can have the head mag fluxed or flo-penned for cracks. Don't know if the do that for cars, they do it for helicopters Lol Check compression just to be on the safe side. If it's the head, you can snag a head on an eBay store for a few hundred dollars.