Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

White Smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Dim
SL Member

Default White Smoke?

Ah, well car is starting to give out white smoke. Can't really tell cause it's night time, but it looks like it's coming from the exhaust. Coolant level is good and did a oil change maybe about two weeks ago. Has a certain smell, but can't tell what it is...

The white smoke becomes more obvious while at idle but also comes out while driving...

Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Head gasket, or oil can be over filled causing this issue but since you changed your own oil i doubt its over filled. Im leaning more towards the head gasket has gone bad, how many miles are on your car and what year was it manufactured?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member

If you continue to drive your car,Put some coolant in your radiator immediately. If it goes on through ,don't drive your car. You will melt the engine! It could be a number of things to cause it. But,the time to do something is now,not later. It could already be to late for you. I had this happen to me.Your engine is made out of aluminum & that's why it will melt. If it has melted already,it will be really expensive to get fixed.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Dim
SL Member

Originally Posted by RyanstC
Head gasket, or oil can be over filled causing this issue but since you changed your own oil i doubt its over filled. Im leaning more towards the head gasket has gone bad, how many miles are on your car and what year was it manufactured?
47,xxx & it's a 09 model.

Originally Posted by AudreyH
If you continue to drive your car,Put some coolant in your radiator immediately. If it goes on through ,don't drive your car. You will melt the engine! It could be a number of things to cause it. But,the time to do something is now,not later. It could already be to late for you. I had this happen to me.Your engine is made out of aluminum & that's why it will melt. If it has melted already,it will be really expensive to get fixed.
Hopefully it's nothing too major... hope not. I had a suggestion on another forum that it could be because I don't have a oil catch can.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You just put too much oil in after your oil change. Even a quarter of a quart will cause smoke out the exhaust. I just changed the oil in my race car and over filled it a tad bit and I was blowing white smoke big time. It's just because of too much oil. You'll be fine. Just don't over fill it next time.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Dim
SL Member

Took the car out for a small drive today...

White smoke seems to be coming out even more. But now that I look at it, it seems to be coming out from under the car instead of the exhaust. Smokes a trail while driving, so I just took my dad's Tundra for the rest of the day.

Any ideas of what can be the problem?

Gonna check the oil level tomorrow and turbo shaft play.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:13 AM
Dim
SL Member

Well recently I haven't had time to check things out myself lately. But I did check the oil level today, and it was pretty low. I thought that could've been one of the factors of why its's smoking so much. Filled it up and took it for a small drive, and its still smoking.

So I just brought it by to a reputable shop nearby and dropped it off. I get a call a few hours later, saying they checked the turbo, did compression tests, etc. and everything with the turbo is fine.

They say the problem is something with the motor

Haven't got much details yet, but I hope its nothing too big.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dim
Well recently I haven't had time to check things out myself lately. But I did check the oil level today, and it was pretty low. I thought that could've been one of the factors of why its's smoking so much. Filled it up and took it for a small drive, and its still smoking.

So I just brought it by to a reputable shop nearby and dropped it off. I get a call a few hours later, saying they checked the turbo, did compression tests, etc. and everything with the turbo is fine.

They say the problem is something with the motor

Haven't got much details yet, but I hope its nothing too big.
In my car i was always getting too much pressure in the crank case and it made my turbo smoke. I put all pcv lines into a big catch can and that helped.