Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

white smoke coming out from exhaust after turbo! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someones in for a build, compression test asap. And hope it was only the hg.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tainoxl
Someones in for a build, compression test asap. And hope it was only the hg.
compression test? how do i do one? and yeah, lets hope its only the head gasket!

i saw some kind of light smoke come from my turbine housing/downpipe. Oil shooting out of my exhaust. And my coolant went empty fast after i refilled it. does that tell you anything?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy a compression tester. Easiest thing in the world to do. A leakdown test is harder - you'll need compressed air for that usually.

Oil out of your exhaust could be blow turbo seal and could be your head.

Please drain your oil and tell us if it's frothy - if it is, that means coolant is mixing with oil, so you probably have a broken head gasket.

A compression test will tell you the health of your rings and cylinders.

If you remove your turbo and see oil on the exhaust side of turbo, but not from the manifold, then you have a blown turbo seal.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Buy a compression tester. Easiest thing in the world to do. A leakdown test is harder - you'll need compressed air for that usually.

Oil out of your exhaust could be blow turbo seal and could be your head.

Please drain your oil and tell us if it's frothy - if it is, that means coolant is mixing with oil, so you probably have a broken head gasket.

A compression test will tell you the health of your rings and cylinders.

If you remove your turbo and see oil on the exhaust side of turbo, but not from the manifold, then you have a blown turbo seal.

thanks, but where can i get a compression tester?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Google is your friend, their is a vid on youtube also with step by step instructions on a tc.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he may have blow-by. he is boosted so the compression is a lot higher. would not surprise me a bit if it was a ring!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oil shooting out sounds like a ring/piston, the forced air is making it passed the piston and into our oil pan and compressing your oil. same thing happened with me.

But yeah go to autozone or something of the sort and get a compression tester (20 bucks or so) then look on youtube for how to do it.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If he's shooting oil out from his exhaust that's definitely more than blow-by. Take off your intake and stick your hand into the Compressor housing and see if there's shaft play. Also check to see if your return line has any kinks in it. I would honestly get a leakdown test cause a compression test just gives you a rough reading.

Edit: Forgot to ask is what year is your car? I haven't heard of an 07-08 kit for tCs at all from this turbonetics. How I know I actually called turbonetics inc before i did my conversion a year and half ago.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Racersky
If he's shooting oil out from his exhaust that's definitely more than blow-by. Take off your intake and stick your hand into the Compresor housing and see if there's shaft play. Also check to see if your return line has any kinks in it. I would honestly get a leakdown test cause a compression test just gives you a rough reading.
i was thinking that i have a blown seal on the turbo. I saw that there was a small leak on the turbine housing on the side where the downpipe connects to (didnt take it apart to check yet). I was thinking of maybe that is causing the oil to shoot out? what exactally do you mean by "blow-by" ?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rozz-tC
Oil shooting out sounds like a ring/piston, the forced air is making it passed the piston and into our oil pan and compressing your oil. same thing happened with me.

But yeah go to autozone or something of the sort and get a compression tester (20 bucks or so) then look on youtube for how to do it.
how much would a new set of pistons and rings cost?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depending if you going to go bigger or staying at the same bore from stock. it ranges from 500+

Blow-by is basically the extra air pressure the turbo is pushing through your motor which is making the oil go pass your rings. So what to do about that is get a rubber cap from pepboys or autozone and cap off the end part of the intake manifold that connects to your valve cover. Then get an oil catch can that has a filter on top and run the line from the valve cover to the can so you can let the pressure be release to the atmosphere instead of back into the motor.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya if it is blow by get a catchcan and maybe try treating the engine with Molly (never did before, nor have expierence but look it up)
Old 12-17-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SVicksTC
Ya if it is blow by get a catchcan and maybe try treating the engine with Molly (never did before, nor have expierence but look it up)
From the sound of it steve I think it's more than blow-by would not shoot out like crazy from the dip stick like that or exhaust.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^Ya Ninja it does sound like more than just blow-by

but, how much oil did you put in after the turbo install? You didnt over fill it because to much oil in the pan and EXESSIVE Blow-by may cause oil to come out of the dipstick

Did anyone mention checking the pcv valve

my guess is your pistons are shot like stated above aka prolly cracked some rings if it is blow-by causing the oil out of the dipstick
Old 12-17-2008, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also would bad valves cause the pressure of the system to get messed up and possibly shoot oil out of the dipstick?

I believe ive heard this before but its faint in my mind and just thought i would throw that out there to find out more information?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wether the seals on the turbo are bad or not - if you have a serious case of blowby it will cause oil to go through the seals rather than drain back into the pan
Old 12-17-2008, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also would bad valves cause the pressure of the system to get messed up and possibly shoot oil out of the dipstick?

I believe ive heard this before but its faint in my mind and just thought i would throw that out there to find out more information?
not so much in the valves, i mean its possible depending what broke but the way rings are they go out pretty easy if you dont have a tune. chances are 2 things happened, he was super rich, washed the rings, or he detonated cause no timing was being pulled in boost and he cracked a ring or piston, a compression test will tell you which cylinders are bad, if any.

If it comes back you have some bad cylinders then you can do a leak down rest and it will tell you what exactly is bad. but do a compression test first, everyone boosted should own a compression tester and do them every few months to keep an eye on ring wear.

Also with a leakdown test you basicly fill the combustion chamber with compressed air and then see where it comes out, but reason being for the compression test is because you need to know which cylinder to fill with air, i.e the one reading low compression will be your bad one. if air comes out you exhaust manifold means your exhaust side valves are shot, if it comes out the intake, your intake side valves are shot, and if it comes out the oil dipstick or oil feed for the turbo then your rings/pistons are shot.

I lost 1 cylinder and i was tuned, but timing wasnt being pulled correctly because of a bad emanage harness, so i had little detonation and it popped cylinder 2's ring in a few pieces. I wont discuss the cost cause I got lucky beyond lucky and toyota loves me
Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Wether the seals on the turbo are bad or not - if you have a serious case of blowby it will cause oil to go through the seals rather than drain back into the pan
that is also true, however in my case my massive blow by was caused from a cracked ring, making my turbo not drain oil and push the seals out. at first we thought i shot the turbo too but it ended up being ok once we got the rest of everything fixed.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but, how much oil did you put in after the turbo install? You didnt over fill it because to much oil in the pan and EXESSIVE Blow-by may cause oil to come out of the dipstick

my guess is your pistons are shot like stated above aka prolly cracked some rings if it is blow-by causing the oil out of the dipstick
okay, now i know that oil was overfilled. also, later today im going to check to see if i have a blown head gasket, think that might be the problem? if its a blow-by, would it be easy to get that fix? My neightbor said that i didnt blow a piston or anything like that cause he could hear them work? would my car sound different if i blew a piston or ring? i dont really know much about this stuff. im just hoping its nothing bad and i can get it fixed ASAP.
i cant drive it on the road, ill end up getting pulled over again.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by turbo_tC4

okay, now i know that oil was overfilled. also, later today im going to check to see if i have a blown head gasket, think that might be the problem? if its a blow-by, would it be easy to get that fix? My neightbor said that i didnt blow a piston or anything like that cause he could hear them work? would my car sound different if i blew a piston or ring? i dont really know much about this stuff. im just hoping its nothing bad and i can get it fixed ASAP.
i cant drive it on the road, ill end up getting pulled over again.
Have you removed your intake pipe yet to check and see if you have shaft play?

Quick Reply: white smoke coming out from exhaust after turbo! HELP!