Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ZPI Stage 0 Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ZPI Stage 0 Question

Ok before i ask my question im gonna tell ya right off the bat, i dont know much about engines so sorry if this is a dumb question. Here goes

I was looking at getting the ZPIracing Scion tC Turbo Kit - Stage 0. My friend was telling me that running a turbo with that much HP on the stock pistons, rods, etc etc will ruin the engine. Do I have to upgrade my engine parts before i can run that turbo (parts are like 2000$ from ZPI )
Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you're talking stage 0 you're safe with stock internals, the only thing you'll need to replace are your tires after you roast them
Old 03-09-2007, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hehe cool, how much HP you lookin at with the stage 0? i know the zpi site says like what 230? is that with turbo alone? also has anyone installed one of these by themselves? is it easy? difficult? impossible? will the stage 0 fit with TRD CAI?? also i have RS 2.0 and on a lot of turboed tCs i see the lower grill removed, is that necessary??
Old 03-09-2007, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

well, i did the install with a friend and bro, it wasn't very hard, just takes time, and lot of double checking....you don't need to mess with the front grill unless your planning on getting a front mounted intercooler, which the stage 0 does not run with......the 230 whp (wheel hp) is fairly accurate....and you will need to get rid of your cai, cause you will have a new air intake and filter to run with the kit....if you want to take a look at the stage 0 setup with the hks blow off valve, just look at my profile pics.....
Old 03-09-2007, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the TRD CAI easy to removed? i had it installed by the dealer when i first bought the car
Old 03-09-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

yeah, compared to other things you could install, the cai is pretty basic....it helps if you understand what all the individual parts do in the car, and how they relate to each other, cause it makes install much easier....as for installing your own turbo, if you don't really know the basics behind it, then have someone else do it, or do lots of research first, and then get some more knowledegable people help you out.....
Old 03-09-2007, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya i believe the HMFIC of MN scikotics went to college for that kinda stuff so ill ask him if he can help out
Old 03-09-2007, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah my stage 0.5( a stage 0 with the intercooler) made 228 whp and 218 trq. on a conservative tune, i think i maxed at 242 whp then tuned it back so you should be like at around 230ish
Old 03-09-2007, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

How does the car run with out the emanage ultimate upgrade.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would HIGHLY recommend it, i drove three hours not boosting a whole lot on stock injectors and my 02 sensor was black as crap when i got ot the garage. You're going to have your stock injectors running full cycle everytime you boost and you'll end up fouling them, I suggest getting some larger injectors and the emanage with a good tune. May be a lil more money but well worth it in my opinion
Old 03-09-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by clayisland485
I would HIGHLY recommend it, i drove three hours not boosting a whole lot on stock injectors and my 02 sensor was black as crap when i got ot the garage. You're going to have your stock injectors running full cycle everytime you boost and you'll end up fouling them, I suggest getting some larger injectors and the emanage with a good tune. May be a lil more money but well worth it in my opinion
Yea - then I would also think about what injector size you upgrade with because you will need to upgrade again if you upgrade to management and fmic. ... But yes .... having your injectors working at max is not a good idea. Once you tune your car your max injection will not be enough. Max is max ....meaning its not gonna release any more then max ..hehe.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol I went with RC engineering 550cc injectors and they work really well
Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

was talkin to the zpi guys they said they got up to 400 HP on stock engine. if i got the stage 1 turbo, that comes with the 550cc injectors, would i still be okay?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

That would be great. This way you dont have to run them hard to get the fuel needed out the them.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

if you're talking stage 0 you're safe with stock internals, the only thing you'll need to replace are your tires after you roast them
And your clutch...don't forget about that.

PS....we run the Stage 1 which is a lot more than a Stage 0, on a completely stock motor, and have been for over a year. No offense, but your friend just don't want you to get boosted because he will be jealous and envious of you.....

On a serious note, your friend dosen't know what he's talking about.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Drei
is the TRD CAI easy to removed? i had it installed by the dealer when i first bought the car

To be honest, and I don't want to sound like a prude....But I don't think you are ready to tackle on the "I'm Boosted" title. If you can't remove an intake, then you need to do a little more research into modding your car and cars in general. First read on how a turbo works, THEN go do your own "vehicle discovery" with your car. Find out what goes where, what does what. Have you even done so much as removed your front bumper yet? Have you changed your own oil? These things sounds trivial, but you got to crawl before you can walk.

PS....I'm the VMFIC of the Nashville Scikotics chapter... Come on over to our Nashville section to chit chat some more with us when you get a chance, since you are my fellow Scikotics bretheren.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

You foul out plugs and sensors, not your injectors....IF that is you are running to rich. Your Stock injectors will handle the Stage 0 just fine. Stage 0 performance capability can be found here:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=164516
Old 03-09-2007, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default yes

i have been lookin around my CAI trying to find where the hoses go etc just to get an idea and you're right, iknow i cant install my own turbo, but im still a ways from getting it. need to save up for the other parts ill need...clutch, emanage etc. i am still pokin around the forums lookin for faqs, guides etc... gimmie time hehe cant learn it overnight
Old 03-09-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: yes

Originally Posted by Drei
i have been lookin around my CAI trying to find where the hoses go etc just to get an idea and you're right, iknow i cant install my own turbo, but im still a ways from getting it. need to save up for the other parts ill need...clutch, emanage etc. i am still pokin around the forums lookin for faqs, guides etc... gimmie time hehe cant learn it overnight

Oh I know... Contrary to what people may believe, these guys were not born with knowledge of cars...

And you are a Scikotics, so I'm going to help you any and every way I can. Go up to that link I just posted and keep your eye on that thread. I'm about to update it some more.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool thanks, i gotta go to work in a few ill have to read up on it later, i dunno if i gonna get stage 0 or stage 1 hmm decisions decisions

Quick Reply: ZPI Stage 0 Question