Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ZPI stg0 Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:34 PM
SL Member

Default ZPI stg0 Checklist

Ok,...I'm still debating between GReddy and ZPI stg0.

Now,..
Do you guys mind giving a quick sum of the essentials for the stg0?

So far I have:
AEM UEGO Wideband, boost gauge (and glow____ pillars)
Turbo XS Hfrl BOV ( i know it's optinal, but I was initially going with the GReddy)

..all i need know is emanage and ready to go stg0, right?

...isn't GReddy better than ZPI stg0 though? The only thing ZPI has over GReddy is the advantage to such a glorious upgrade (stg 1)
What's going on with the GReddy kit guys? Evertime I bother asking, everyone always points me in another direction - IS it not good? Incomplete? is it the aluminum? Or are you guys just ZPI/DEZOD whooped?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't know much about the greddy kit, but yeah, it isn't as complete as the others, no engine/ fuel management, no injectors. maybe a few other things. just make sure that you get it tuned as soon as you have it installed or you might ruin your engine.

so install and tune immediately, no driving until then!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The Stage 0 does not come with fuel management or injectors either.

You know to be quite candid, I'm not sure why GReddy is not as popular as some of the other kits. Anyhow, Yes, you have that luxury of going Stage 1 when you are ready. And what you have now, is PLENTY of additional gear to go along with your Stage 0.

So, in the short version.....YES, Stage 0...DO IT!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry, didn't mean to imply that that the zpi stage 0 did come with injectors, and engine management. what i meant to say was it is built to run right out of the box without changing injectors and engine management. however using engine management is a very good idea. also a bov.

i think the greddy kit put far more tuning in the hands of the buyer whereas in the case of zpi, dezod (can be ordered with or without emanage), and turbonetics all come with injectors and some sort of piggyback engine management.

anyway, i'd go zpi state 0, plus gauges, emanage, and bov. maybe even a greddy pressure sensor for better tuning. and later on you can make it a stage 1 if your need for speed starts acting up again
Old 04-03-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Greddy is not as popular becuase generally it is reserved for JDM stuff (i.e. hondas, acuras, 240sx's, et cetera.). The Greddy kit performs well, has a longevity of great turbo kits, and comes with everything except fuel management and injectors, which you would have to add on. It comes with intercooler, bov, everything. It makes approx 230-250whp after install and tune on 8.5psi. It is a great kit, just not a lot of people decided to go with it.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:33 AM
SL Member

Just to sclear this up, fellas...

For stg0 I don't NEED fuel management, but emanage is recommended, and as far as injectors, I can run on stock for now? I know there's like this GReddy bundle for $630 where it's the Emanage/440cc together. Should I go for that lil' combo, or should I just save my injector upgrade until I decide to go stg1?
So basically, stg0 needs nothng?! whoa...

... and I wont have a problem adding my turbo XS hrfl to this kit considering it's optional? I mean, I probably wouldn't have, but i've already bought it so why not throw it on there, right?

ps- you guys are off the chain, and I can't thank you enough for your support.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

correct, you don't NEED fuel management for a stage 0, but you run the risk of running rich and fouling up your spark plugs, and is just gernerally far safer. also a bov seems to also be highly recommended because it prevents compressure surge which can significantly reduce the life of your turbo.

also, get ready to start running high octane gas, and it is reccommend switching to a fully synthetic oil and change it every 3000 miles instead of scion's 5000 mile reccommended interval.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 PM
SL Member

Ok, but going back to my other question,
can I still run on the stock injectors or should I buy the emanage/440cc combo ($630).
If i CAN run stg0 with stock injectors, it would better. That way I wouldn't of officially upgraded twice when I decide to go stg1 (that runs on 550cc's,right?)

I can get an enmanage alone for 300 bucks, and I've also heard of the PNP (plug n play) harness. What's that all about, and do I need it? I know it has something to prevent re-wiring and not damaging our internals ECU and whatnot, but do I need this for the emanage?

Again,...
BOV, emanage, gauges (for monitoring) and i'm set (for stg0)?
Oh, and synthetic oil change every 3k miles, and higher octaince gas....
Old 04-03-2007, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, you will probably need injectors with the greddy kit or else your engine may end up fuel starved. that is probably why it distinctly says "does not include fuel injectors"

couldn't realy recommend what size. if greddy recommends those 440 cc, than that should be alright. but most kits use bigger ones like zpi uses 550, and i think the turbonetics one uses 6 hundred something sized injectors. and dezod kits run 550 injectors to and they are tunned to about 8.5 psi also, so...maybe if you get a greddy kit, i'd get 550 injectors since that seems to be the going size for turbo'ed tc's at that psi.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
sorry, didn't mean to imply that that the zpi stage 0 did come with injectors, and engine management. what i meant to say was it is built to run right out of the box without changing injectors and engine management. however using engine management is a very good idea. also a bov.

i think the greddy kit put far more tuning in the hands of the buyer whereas in the case of zpi, dezod (can be ordered with or without emanage), and turbonetics all come with injectors and some sort of piggyback engine management.

anyway, i'd go zpi state 0, plus gauges, emanage, and bov. maybe even a greddy pressure sensor for better tuning. and later on you can make it a stage 1 if your need for speed starts acting up again

Gotcha...Good post sir..
Old 04-03-2007, 02:38 PM
SL Member

no-no-no
I mean...
Can i run my S T AG E 0 with stock injectors.
There's the option1 on the GReddy kit (which i'm sure I could buy for ZPI) which includes emanage and 440cc injecotrs. Now, my question is should I just buy the emanage (without the 440cc) and run stg0 with emanage alone without th injector upgrade? I know I have to upgrade eventually to 550cc when I decide to go stage1, but will my stock injectors survive stg0?

emanage alone?
I'm sure 440cc would be "better", but can I just hold off injector upgrade until stg1, or is it vital now?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by AngrySnail
can I still run on the stock injectors or should I buy the emanage/440cc combo ($630).
If i CAN run stg0 with stock injectors, it would better. That way I wouldn't of officially upgraded twice when I decide to go stg1 (that runs on 550cc's,right?)

I can get an enmanage alone for 300 bucks, and I've also heard of the PNP (plug n play) harness. What's that all about, and do I need it? I know it has something to prevent re-wiring and not damaging our internals ECU and whatnot, but do I need this for the emanage?

Again,...

Stock injectors on a Stage 0 are fine. No need to upgrade your injectors twice, because the Stage 1 comes with 550's.

One of our crew members has a Stage 0. He races frequently, and only running an Emanage and BOV as optional gear.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:52 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by AngrySnail

Again,...

Stock injectors on a Stage 0 are fine. No need to upgrade your injectors twice, because the Stage 1 comes with 550's.

One of our crew members has a Stage 0. He races frequently, and only running an Emanage and BOV as optional gear.
W O R D ?

....STAGE 0, here i come!
This doesn't mean you guys can bail on me, not yet_
I'll keep you guys posted, and you guys can feel free to fill me in on anything.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can a stage 0 kit be dialed down to 200whp? I really don't wanna pay to have my clutch replaced right now and was wondering if it was possible with maybe a 5psi spring or something?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jj010
Can a stage 0 kit be dialed down to 200whp? I really don't wanna pay to have my clutch replaced right now and was wondering if it was possible with maybe a 5psi spring or something?

Yeah, you can run a lower PSI spring in the WG.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AngrySnail why dont you try swinging by our meet on wed. nights..my good friend denny (crippie: SL name) is running a greddy kit at 8psi making 266+ hp and tq..you can come check it out.. its one of my fav kits. the other fav or mines is ZPI.. after seeing dezods kit up close and personal now... i dont like and its moved down a slot to # 3 on my list lol..

BTW i dont mind the stage 0 but i would adivse you to get the FMIC upgrade + emanage ultimate to tune correctly and also since miami is hot as *****... the heat isnt going to help you so the FMIC would only be to your advantage.. humidity + heat in miami = not that efficient on a non FMIC ran turbo car.... if your on a budget atleast run a topmount to keep EGT's and incoming air temps down... that will help you out ..

for guages... i highly advise
AEM UEGO Wideband, autometer boost gauge, and get an autometer oil pressure guage... those are the big three you need... EGT would also be ideal to have.. safer then sorry..

and yes get the BOV..hello thats the best part lol..

swing by and holla at me.. or my buddy denny(crippie)....always willing to help out fellow scion owners.. who are not d*icks (tc espeicallly) lol since i frequently run into them alot here in miami....
Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I say sell your injen cai and go ahead and put that cash toward the 550cc injectors. Work your way toward the stage one instead of flat out buying the upgrade. If you are an a/t then you are going to need bigger injectors anyways.
Correct me if I'm wrong but an FMIC (even though it will help in hot weather) will add more air--thus more fuel--thus more taxing on stock injectors? Though after injectors, get the FMIC as soon as possible.
And always, congrats on whatever you decide. Enjoy it and be safe.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what I have witnessed in the last couple of months... the Greddy kit is a WAY BETTER choice. The quality is much better, and put's down good numbers. I saw a tC with the stage 0 ZPI kit get dynod and it put down less than stock, no joke. Maybe after you buy an emange ultimate, map sensor, larger injectors, and 2 hours of tuning it will run ok. ( $2000 later). But the kit is not near the quality of the Greddy. The wastgate on the ZPI kits is a knock-off tial, goes bad all the time, the piping is not cut to the proper lengths, they rub other components wearing through couplers.

The Greddy kit out of the box is nice as a turbo kit gets and fits well. The emanage is pre-tuned conservativly but well and the turbo is pre-set to 5psi. Puts down 43whp more than stock. Purchase a map sensor and a boost controller, tune for 9psi and you will see 280whp on a dynojet, 255 on a Dyno-Dynamics.

All this information is real and not from an opinion. Take it as you will.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
from what I have witnessed in the last couple of months... the Greddy kit is a WAY BETTER choice. The quality is much better, and put's down good numbers. I saw a tC with the stage 0 ZPI kit get dynod and it put down less than stock, no joke. Maybe after you buy an emange ultimate, map sensor, larger injectors, and 2 hours of tuning it will run ok. ( $2000 later). But the kit is not near the quality of the Greddy. The wastgate on the ZPI kits is a knock-off tial, goes bad all the time, the piping is not cut to the proper lengths, they rub other components wearing through couplers.

The Greddy kit out of the box is nice as a turbo kit gets and fits well. The emanage is pre-tuned conservativly but well and the turbo is pre-set to 5psi. Puts down 43whp more than stock. Purchase a map sensor and a boost controller, tune for 9psi and you will see 280whp on a dynojet, 255 on a Dyno-Dynamics.

All this information is real and not from an opinion. Take it as you will.

Obviously something was wrong with that car. Seriously you really think that a turbo car is going to put down less whp?

You obviously didn't see the thread I created. Here, just for you so you don't have to search...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=164516

Secondly, when the GReddy kit first hit the tC market, they were blowing up tC's on a weekly basis. Their Wastegates were faulty, and getting stuck, causing people who were on their way to the shop for tuning.....To Never Make it. Not to mention, the hororr stories of the base map that were being installed on the equipped E-manage. Sorry, but I have to disagree with you, and just encourage anyone to search and do your research into reliability of the kits.

The ZPI wastegate is not a Nock-Off Tial. It's a TurboSmart WG. Been running it for over a year. How many Blown up Stage 0's or 1's have you ever seen on here from a faulty wastegate or any other malfunction from the Kit itself?

I rest my case.

This is the tC section, not the xA. Over here, the GReddy track record does not pass with flying colors....now THAT is real and not an opinion.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
AngrySnail why dont you try swinging by our meet on wed. nights..my good friend denny (crippie: SL name) is running a greddy kit at 8psi making 266+ hp and tq..you can come check it out.. its one of my fav kits. the other fav or mines is ZPI.. after seeing dezods kit up close and personal now... i dont like and its moved down a slot to # 3 on my list lol..

BTW i dont mind the stage 0 but i would adivse you to get the FMIC upgrade + emanage ultimate to tune correctly and also since miami is hot as *****... the heat isnt going to help you so the FMIC would only be to your advantage.. humidity + heat in miami = not that efficient on a non FMIC ran turbo car.... if your on a budget atleast run a topmount to keep EGT's and incoming air temps down... that will help you out ..

for guages... i highly advise
AEM UEGO Wideband, autometer boost gauge, and get an autometer oil pressure guage... those are the big three you need... EGT would also be ideal to have.. safer then sorry..

and yes get the BOV..hello thats the best part lol..

swing by and holla at me.. or my buddy denny(crippie)....always willing to help out fellow scion owners.. who are not d*icks (tc espeicallly) lol since i frequently run into them alot here in miami....
Wednesday August 8, 2006 from 8:00PM-11:00PM @ Denny's restaurant in Hialeah and every Wednesday continuosly.

ADDRESS: 16935 N.W. 67TH AVE. HIALEAH, FL 33015
We meet in the parking lot of Denny's. ?????????

Quick Reply: ZPI stg0 Checklist