Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

17" Powerbook -> Carputer

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 17" Powerbook -> Carputer

I'm starting work on a new carputer. Long story short, I have a 17" Mac Powerbook laying around that I'm not using anymore, so I figured I'd put it to use in my tC.

The only issue I've run into so far is with the display. I'd like to use the 17" LCD screen, one because it's huge and two because that means I wouldn't have to buy a whole new LCD screen. The problem is, the display data cable is pretty short - so short that I can't put the computer where I want it and have the LCD screen be where I want it, too.

The cord is here: http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/...12&cat=&page=1

I've been looking for an extension for it but it's a custom part so I doubt I'll find one. I'm open to suggestions, and I'll keep you all updated.

UPDATE 1: Okay, I've figured out a few ways to do it. Now I just need to order a couple parts and gut the thing. Hopefully it will be done by the end of the week.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could always cut and splice in the wires from another cable to get some legenth out of it.

You might even try calling Apple. In my experience they're pretty cool in general, and might like the idea of you putting a Powerbook into your car.

Also check some of the Mac user groups online. I know I've seen something similar done, but I don't have a link for you.

BTW, I'm on a G4 15" Powerbook right now.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I've dropped a post into most of the main Mac forums online, see if I can't get some help.

Thing is, I could easily use the DVI port to hook up an external monitor - but this project is really only attractive to me if I can do it el-cheapo.

I'm toying with the idea of gutting the case, removing extra junk I wouldn't use and putting it in the glovebox - maybe making a custom case for it inside the glovebox. I doubt the actual laptop as is will fit in there.

Another possibility is painting it black and mounting it near the front passenger's seat, on the bottom left side. That might work okay, as long as I mount it well enough and sturdy enough.

I'm going to go tool around with it now, we'll see how it goes.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:37 PM
v12
5 Year Member
SL Member

macnn.com go to forums
Old 04-17-2006, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

copy cater! =P

I originally wanted to mount a dell laptop with a 17" monitor... since trying to find a good and CHEAP (that's the keyword) mount for it, I decided to go with a ~4 pound tablet solution.

you can check it out here https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=carputer if you need any ideas.

good luck with the idea. having a carputer is the sh!+!
- sh00k