Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2 seat conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2 seat conversion?

Does anyone have any clean methods of doing a 2-seat conversion, short of just folding the rear seats down? lol..

Thanks in advance for any advice/pictures...
Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

LARGE fiberglass system in the back?

you could fab up a false floor to get a large flat area back there similar to what it would look like with the seats folded.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Neothin
LARGE fiberglass system in the back?

you could fab up a false floor to get a large flat area back there similar to what it would look like with the seats folded.
Well I plan to race/auto-x my car eventually so the seats are just dead weight. I'll probably do a false floor or figure out a way to mold the carpet to the floor. Just wanted to see if anyone else has done one that turned out good...
Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

all the 2 seat conversions that i've seen involved alot of fiberglass and an extensive audio system.

sorry
Old 01-17-2007, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can either just add carpet..or put a bed in your trunk that extends to the rear seats
Old 01-17-2007, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if you remove the rear seats of the TC, it'll throw you in a much higher class of cars in autocross neither most drivers, or definitely the car, is ready for. Mine go back in for autocross.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
if you remove the rear seats of the TC, it'll throw you in a much higher class of cars in autocross neither most drivers, or definitely the car, is ready for. Mine go back in for autocross.
True, but some of us can actually drive So i'm not worried about the class... I'm also trying to eliminate them so they don't clash with the Sparco seats
Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

^that wasnt very nice. Even if you can drive, going against higher class cars.... S2000's, boxsters, 350z's, etc etc.... your tC is going to need help.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Neothin
^that wasnt very nice. Even if you can drive, going against higher class cars.... S2000's, boxsters, 350z's, etc etc.... your tC is going to need help.
LoL... I wasn't directing that at him or anyone.. was just saying I can actually drive well against these 2 seaters... been doing this for a while... I'm sure others here could outdrive me..I really just like the look of a 2 seat ride, the tC seats stick out like a sore thumb with my sparcos..

My tC has some major help, with the advent of KW coilovers, upgraded clutch/fly, LSD, proper frame bracing/strut bracing, full sway kit, tires that grip like nuts and that are wide, and a good tune I should be doing ok...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

....if u want two seater I honestly suggest parting out the aftermarkets and buying a different car...350z? G35?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DonnyDarko
....if u want two seater I honestly suggest parting out the aftermarkets and buying a different car...350z? G35?
A bit late for all of that... and i want to see what i can accomplish with the tC.. i'm having too much fun with it.. besides everyone has 350s and 35s in H-town...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Nothing wrong with making the tC a 2 seater. I'm doing the same thing right now. Right now I'm only folding down my seats so only the racing seat are visible. I want to remove them completly too.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh i thought you meant about putting buckets in the back. i thought about doing that but it just doesn't work. there isn't enough clearance with the back but if you wanna remove the back seats you could just pull them off and put a piece of wood wrapped in carpet. and bolt it to the cross members
Old 01-17-2007, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
Nothing wrong with making the tC a 2 seater. I'm doing the same thing right now. Right now I'm only folding down my seats so only the racing seat are visible. I want to remove them completly too.
Well, heck let's talk offline and come up with ideas....
Old 01-17-2007, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if u had 3 seats and just put a racing seat in the middle of the rear...what class does that put you in.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member

Has anyone actually taken the time to see how much the rear seat actually weights. When I took mine out to install my amp, it wasnt very heavy. I can see how the seat backs could be heavy, so can't you just hollow them out and replace it with something light weight? Get rid of all the metal and replace it with fiberglass of CF supports. That is what CF is really for!!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

taking out rear seats- free

cf / fg supports = lots of $$

;)
Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whalentC
Has anyone actually taken the time to see how much the rear seat actually weights. When I took mine out to install my amp, it wasnt very heavy. I can see how the seat backs could be heavy, so can't you just hollow them out and replace it with something light weight? Get rid of all the metal and replace it with fiberglass of CF supports. That is what CF is really for!!
Check out this thread: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight+reduction

*rear seat bottom 10.1lbs
*rear seat top 44.2lbs
*rear seat belt bottoms 2.2lbs
*bolts for rear seats & belts 1.1lbs

57.6lbs of weight reduction.. that makes a big difference believe it or not...
Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by cz3ch
Originally Posted by whalentC
Check out this thread: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight+reduction

*rear seat bottom 10.1lbs
*rear seat top 44.2lbs
*rear seat belt bottoms 2.2lbs
*bolts for rear seats & belts 1.1lbs

57.6lbs of weight reduction.. that makes a big difference believe it or not...
Thanks for keeping my thread alive, I wish more people would take weight reduction more seriously in our stout TC's

on the note about "some of us can actually drive" - that's right, some of us can, reading books, taking professional racecar classes and years of racing seat-time are what have gotten me where I am, and I take no offense to it, I've never finished in less than the top 10 in my classes unless it was from lost-points, and I have slips to back it up.

If you remove the rear seats, you will be put into "Street Mod" which is a free-for-all of 300+hp M3's, evo's, STI's, race-prepped turbo-franken-civics, super-rabbits, and ultra-miatas.... SM class is a money race - there is no way unless tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of fabrication shop work that our TC's could be competitive in street mod with the top 10, it's the wrong platform entirely. My TC at it's peak with all the legal weight reduction I could feasibly do myself, and over 4k in suspension mods on super-light wheels with R-comps, I was competitive in STX against WRX's, IS300's, etc etc and again, kept it within the top 10. I took a step back from STX because I didn't have enough money to be competitive to the point of trophy's, so I stepped it back down to STS.

Our cars are very competitive in certain classes of autocross, but a car's limits still have limits, even in the hands of a professional.

Remove the rear seats if you want, go buy some fiberglass resin and have at it. post pics when you're done.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
Our cars are very competitive in certain classes of autocross, but a car's limits still have limits, even in the hands of a professional.
100% agreed. I will most likely be staying in STS or STX depending on my mod levels. I have a few "iffy" things to deal with right now in regards to class. I too have tons of driving experience both on track, through school, and just old fashioned real-life trial and error (also my dad used to race top fuel against the likes of Don Garlits, Kenny Bernstein, etc... while it's a 1/4 mi, the reaction time and instinct carries over to the twists of the auto-x track).

I'd be interested in talking with you offline if you have time otocan.. PM me/etc.

-cz-