Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2008 tc navi factory

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:21 PM

Default 2008 tc navi factory

hey guys, i just got my navi installed and the dvd player won't play unless i am parked and my ebrake is engaged. i grounded the ebrake wire and it works like a champ with the ebrake down. when i start to move, it stops working so i cut the REV wire and also the speed wire. again, works like a champ when not rolling but once i start moving, it cuts off.

does anyone know how i can fix this?

does anyone know if the unit has a gyrometer?

thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 09:27 PM
SL Member

i took mine to a circuit city and got mine instead then i paid the dude $20 to install a switch! that switch will turn the break light on but you can play movies while driving!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
SL Member

I helped hook up my friends aftermarket HU in his xa...

We had to read on a bunch of forums to figure it out, but basically you have it right. You need to attach the wire to anything metal, we duct-taped it to some of the metal behind the console, and then install a simple switch (or just screw a wire nut to both ends of the cable that hangs out into the car.

Then from what I can understand, the ebrake pulses itself on and then off and then back on again when you engage it, so this is what you need to do with the wire (or switch) flip it on, then off, then back on, it will probably take a few tries (took us about 15 mins to get it the first time, but once you get the hang of it its easy) and then it will just pop on the screen.

Good luck.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:51 AM

i've tried those ideas alread, its a no go. it seems to me that both of you are talking about an aftermarket system. mine is directly from scion so i'm assuming it might be different. any other ideas

thanks
Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 AM
SL Member

I wonder if the NAV is actually interfearing with the DVD. Instead of reading the motion of the car from a wire (speed sensor), maybe the GPS (what makes the map move when you do) cuts off the DVD. If that is the case I don't think there is anything you can do because they would be tied toghther in the programming. I'm still trying to learn as much as I can about this HU, I wonder if there is anything that can be done in the dealer set-up menus. I'll have to play with that more tomorrow. If I find anything I let you know.

-Brian
Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM

so here is exactly what i have tried: i've grounded the EBRAKE wire so that is not an issue anymore, the installation guide says that the SPEED wire is optional if you want to connect it or not (not sure if the dealer did so i cut it anyways), and i also cut the REV wire

i remove the navi cd and insert the dvd: everything works just fine, as soon as i hit about 5 - 8 miles per hour, the screen goes black but i still hear everything from the speakers

any ideas?

thanks for all the help
nick

p.s. how do you guys put your car pictures and the info under your profiles. i'd love to share some pics of everything i have accomplished with my car
Old 11-02-2007, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Alpines need a black box fix for them. Check ebay.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:41 PM

i agree on ebay hope something works out
Old 11-03-2007, 06:09 AM

from what i've heard, the factory nav is powered by alpine... does anyone know what alpine has this unit listed under so that i can research a video bypass. i guess there are differenct bypasses for different units. for instance, scion has the unit listed as SNS (scion navi system) 100
Old 11-03-2007, 07:49 PM
SL Member

Type "alpine bypass" into ebay. There is a company that makes the black box to cover all alpine models. It is $50 plus $8 shipping.

-Brian
Old 11-07-2007, 02:13 AM

: I tried that route and asked the seller if that bypass kit would work on factory Alpine unit for 2008 tc. The answer was "NO"
Old 11-07-2007, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't remember the site but there is a way to do it... Just not for the 08 scion yet. You have to rewire a bunch of wires, not just one. I'll post if i can find it.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:28 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by hsingh
: I tried that route and asked the seller if that bypass kit would work on factory Alpine unit for 2008 tc. The answer was "NO"
No ____! Thanks for input! I asked the same question and never got a response. I'm not all that interested in being able to watch a DVD while driving, I want to be able to enter a destination address with the car moving. I was hopeing a video bypass might make that possible too.

-Brian