Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Advice on installing a new head unit/mounting a phone

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Advice on installing a new head unit/mounting a phone

Hi,

I have the '05 model with nearly base configuration, and want to upgrade my head unit to have Bluetooth/Aux in/USB. Since this is almost a base unit nowadays, I'm looking at one of the JVC units. I plan to plug in my phone and use that as my mp3/Pandora player, as well as my GPS.

There are two issues that come to mind. The first is the volume control ****; on most of the units I've seen, it sticks out pretty far as long as I'm getting a single DIN. I don't think the door will close unless I have the installer recess the stereo a bit. I assume there is no workaround (or deck that has a smaller ****); any thoughts on this? Honestly I rarely close the door anyway so this isn't a big deal, but I don't want to make that assumption and find out later that I chose poorly.

Second, I need a place to 'mount' my phone. I have a Garmin GPS unit right now and use a beanbag, which works well when I've programmed in a destination before driving and don't touch it for the rest of the trip. That won't work with my phone since I'll also be using it for music/podcasts as well. So ideally I'd want something in hands reach, and still visible in case I am looking at (say) INRIX to see how bad traffic is.

One thought I had was finding a way to mount it on the head unit door, if I can't close it anyway; it would be in hand's reach, be somewhat visible while driving, and wouldn't cover the climate control.

Also, last question: I could shell out a few extra bucks to get a double DIN. Worth it?

I'm guessing that I'm not the first person to figure out an ideal configuration, and I'd love to hear what other '05 owners have done.