Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Alpine IVA-W200 (IVA-W205) vs. Pioneer Avic-D3

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got it all done except the side plastic pieces, gonna deal with that later
Old 05-21-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds good. glad it all worked out. let me know how it goes with the plastic pieces.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:00 PM

Is there anywhere to download some screen backgrounds for the D3 besides the Pioneer web site?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Man, this whole ICE forum is making me want to sell off my Pioneer 6800 single-DIN and spring for the D3. Curse you guys for owning cool stuff!
Old 06-08-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, to thoseo of you who own the w205. i think i've found a bug with the unit when using my ipod. i want to see if this is happening to anyone else. it could just be a probelm with mine.

when you select an artist, only the first 3 albums show up on the screen; that's all that fits. if the artist has more than 3 albums, the scroll bar appears on the side and bottom of the screen so you can scroll through all the albums. so far so good. but the problem i noticed is that for any of the artists in my ipod that have EXACTLY four albums, the scroll bars don't appear. thus, i can only select the first three albums that show up on the screen. the fourth album is there, i just can't see it to select it. this doesn't happen if i have more than four albums.

perhaps everyone else hasn't noticed this. if you guys have this deck and have an ipod, can you help me verify this issue? i want to know if it's a software bug or just a defect with mine.

THANK YOU!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have an ipod, but I do have the cable so when a friend comes over I'll check mine for that.

The one thing that annoys me the most, although it's not a bug, is there is no easy way to get a listing of the folder I'm playing a song in. On my old alpine one click of the folder icon brought up the tracks in the current folder, then another click brought up the list of all folders...now I have to scroll through all the folders and select the one I'm playing from to see what else is in there. Does that even make sense?
Old 06-09-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

out of all the post i've read... not sure if the pioneer has it... is the pulse touch..because of that... alpine hands down... hehehehe..jk jk.. i think i'll be getting the alpine soon tho.. if i do.. i'll let you know about the ipod thing...
Old 06-09-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it sucks that i was so excited when the w200 first came out I bought it for 900 from crutchfield. its a good unit, dont use nav but the interface is great, easy to install. its half the price on ebay now =( i want a w205 so bad
Old 06-10-2007, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fastandcurious, how did you mount your filler plates? I tried to put them in today and they don't fit for two reasons - one, since I redrilled, the bolts aren't long enough and two, the plastic to the sides of the stereo block them
Old 06-10-2007, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow for the longest time, i was reseraching these models myself, its great that this thread is here to help me. im still trying to decide because there are features on both units that i want that the other unit lacks.

i am looking for a head unit that meets these requirements:

2-din
dvd player
divx file compatiability
built in navigation (dvd or Harddrive)
bluetooth cell phone

the d3 can play divx files, but the drawback is that it only has 1 dvd slot.

the alpine 205 has bluetooth capability and will be blackbird 2 compatable. however it can not play divx files

so far i have recieved these reccomendations:

1. pioneer avic d3
2. alpine w205 + blackbird 2
3. Kenwood DNX7100

in the past i have had great audio quality from alpine and pioneer. but have never stepped over to the dvd and navigation side. any mroe reccoemdations or pros/cons would be appreaited
Old 06-10-2007, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if you have an ipod, youll hardly take out the nav disk. and the map once set, saves to memory (as long as you stay on the path it gives), and you can play your movies while driving. or you can do what i did and just have an external dvd player in the glove box, allowing me to have my dvd nav disk in there too.

as far as sound quality goes, i only played with the d3. its not as good as my old deck (Pioneer DEH-8600mp) but it sounds good still. once you pass a certain sound level though, maybe its just mine, but it does get a bit noisy (hissing on the speakers.. i notice it when its up around 6.. but once you play music totally disappears). despite that, i love my d3
Old 06-11-2007, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cabana
I don't have an ipod, but I do have the cable so when a friend comes over I'll check mine for that.

The one thing that annoys me the most, although it's not a bug, is there is no easy way to get a listing of the folder I'm playing a song in. On my old alpine one click of the folder icon brought up the tracks in the current folder, then another click brought up the list of all folders...now I have to scroll through all the folders and select the one I'm playing from to see what else is in there. Does that even make sense?
honestly, i've stuck with the ipod since day 1 so i wouldn't be able to help you with that issue. sorry.

Originally Posted by Cabana
fastandcurious, how did you mount your filler plates? I tried to put them in today and they don't fit for two reasons - one, since I redrilled, the bolts aren't long enough and two, the plastic to the sides of the stereo block them
you know what? i had the hardest time trying to figure out how to install them. the plastic sides were getting in the way. soooo.... i dremeled them off and i used some jb weld and stuck them onto the back of the center console. you can't tell they're glued. when you take off the center console, the plates come off with it. haha... it was the best solution i could think of at that moment.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok I was kinda figuring I might have to do that or else get some material and cut a square out to till the gaps. do you have any pics of your final product?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't have any pictures but i'll snap a few later.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member

Default Alpine IVA-W205 and W200

I really like that the ipod conrols will pull up genre and podcasts seperately, also I like the fact that Navigation is Option so if you don't care for Navigation you are not stuck with it. Useability of the Alpine seems far superior to Pioneer. Fixed navigation or a docked portable can be used. That is cool. being able to drive to the airport and take your navigation system with you.
Alpine is a leader and Pioneer a follower in the market

Alpine

Pioneer
Old 06-14-2007, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know any other double din unit that can play divx and has navigation? the only one i know of is the Kenwood DNX7100
Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ the d3 does. lol
Old 06-15-2007, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yeah well besides the d3 and the kenwood, i was looking for an alpine model or eclipse model. i have tried both but believe that the alpine decks are of a higher quality than pioneer/kenwood/eclipse. but if i can find one from the other manufacturers i dont mind

does anyone know if the kenwood model is dual disc or single disc slot?