Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Amp in Cubby...Cooling Q?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Default Amp in Cubby...Cooling Q?

I have an Audiobahn 4002T amp and I placed it in the little cubby in the back by the spare tire. (see pic) *disclaimer-My pics are not proportional nor did I care to take much time perfecting my "art work" in paint. *

It stopped working the other day after about a 1.5 hour drive. I got out to check it and it burned the **** out of my hand. It was HOTT! It is still hot even when I haven't been running it because the inside of my car reaches a temp of around 100°+. Yes, I do have tint. The ambient temperature is between 95° and 110°. It's HOTT! I was thinking about installing a fan and using a tube to bring in cooler air from the cabin. (see pic)

The tube would be just be placed behind the sub so that no one could see it and I wouldn't cut anything, I would just guide it through the side of it and maybe through the opening by the hooks.

Here is the fan, or at least an example of the fan I was planning on using...
http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISF1

This whole set up would cost me around $20 which is worth much more to me than relocating the amp and running new wires. Also, to turn it on, all I would need to do is splice into the remote turn-on wire and then ground the ground wire, correct?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

does your set up look like this?

ive that that set up and drove 3 hours and dint have any problems. i did check my amp a few times randomly and it does get hot no matter how much you use it. your idea would work, but im not too shure about if you tap splice it with the 12V remote wire. i mean it will work to turn it on, but im not too shure on how well it will work in the long run. the fan is a cool idea but it may be a bit hard to mount it. personally if your worried about the amp getting hot, just try to find something that will keep the panel open while your driving. i think that should be enough air for the amp. and if you do install the fan, you might wanna experiment on whether the fan is intaking air in or exhausting the air out. either way, good luck and i hope this helped =]
Old 07-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Yeah...thats exactly the same setup. Mounting the fan...basically I'd just double-sided tape or velcro it in. Also, intake and exhausting air is easy. Just flip it one way or the other. They use the same method in some of those mascot suits...They cut a hole near the mouth and place a fan in there on batteries and it draws in air and blows it on the face of the mascot. I also have the gain set about 1 mm too far I believe. Also, I do not know if it will work that well either which is why is my main question. BTW, how do you like your combo?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

let me show you guys what i did

the fan was carefully selected and is perfect for the job

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/62a7d68bf0.jpg

ontop of that there is a rectangular whole cut-out in the carpet cover thing with a lil grill.

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8204cce7d0.jpg

the hot air is thrown into the spare tire compartment area were is just disperses*

when the carpet cover thing is down and sub ontop, the compartment is sealed so the air naturally flows from the bottom of the compartment (were the fan is) to the top, or were the exit is. No tubes and works pretty well
Old 07-22-2006, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well i mos def know that the more airflow is a good thing, but i still say just keep it open if your concerned. i dont mind so much about the heat, cause i know amps always get hot, so i wasn't too worried about it. i love my system. i have it attached to a pioneer 8600MP headunit and its awesome. =]
Old 07-22-2006, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I was thinking of adding fans to my amp in the cubby as well. sensay, where are those wired to? Did you jump into the +12v coming to your amp?
Old 07-22-2006, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by magnetic
I was thinking of adding fans to my amp in the cubby as well. sensay, where are those wired to? Did you jump into the +12v coming to your amp?
yep right into the 12v remote.

its a 12v fan and turns on when the car turns on
Old 07-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

sensay...your pics aren't working
Old 07-23-2006, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for some reason the pics dont want to be uploaded, so i just added the links instead.

copy the address and put in browser cause its being weird
Old 07-24-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have had an ALpine MRV-F545 installed in the cubby for about a year. Here's the amp:

And here's the cooling fan:

The fan is a 3" square, 5/8" deep. I used a 30A relay, with the amp power for power supply, and using the RTL for switching to the relay-- so whenever the amp is on, the fan is on.

No problems at all, even in the stifling SoCal heat. I 've measured temps in the spare tire well at 150º just because of the ambient heat (115º air temps), and the amp works just fine.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Good stuff...I turned down my gains a little bit and am going to fabricate something soon. I'll put up some pics to show.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
I have had an ALpine MRV-F545 installed in the cubby for about a year. Here's the amp:

And here's the cooling fan:

The fan is a 3" square, 5/8" deep. I used a 30A relay, with the amp power for power supply, and using the RTL for switching to the relay-- so whenever the amp is on, the fan is on.

No problems at all, even in the stifling SoCal heat. I 've measured temps in the spare tire well at 150º just because of the ambient heat (115º air temps), and the amp works just fine.
OMG this is the perfect amp! I've been looking for a 4-channel amp that would fit there without much cutting. This will be perfect. I like how clean everything looks here, including the fan. Can I get a basic diagram of how you wired the fan to the amp? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

A Bosch 30A relay has 5 posts; 30, 85, 86, 87, and 87a.

Run a jumper from the power input on the amp to post 30.
Run a wire from the amp's ground point to post 85.
Split the HU's RTL wire (make a Y at the end), and attach one side to the amp's RTL and the other to post 86.
Connect the (+) lead for the fan to post 87.
Connect the (-) lead for the fan to the same point that the amp and relay are grounded.

It really sounds more complicated than it is. It's only 4 wires, and 3 of the 4 are spliced off of wires already running to the amp.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dr. the setup u have there looks very well done, but were does the air for the fan come from? Spare tire compartment? isnt it a little hot down there? The reason i have it come from inside the cabin cause its air conditioned. Also were does the air exit?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If you look at the foam compartments when they're in place, none of them fit "tight" into their locations-- they both have about 1" of airspace all the way around them. If you pull up the trim around the hatch latch, you can see the size of the gaps.

For exhaust, the foam compartment has openings cut in the front lefthand corner. I also added the fan pretty much purely as a precaution-- the Alpine has integral fans.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are the fans blowing IN or OUT? I would have the fans blowing the hot air from inside the compartment OUT. Maybe I could set up two fans on opposite sides of the compartment and have one blowing air in, and one blowing air out.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

hey guys. ok after my amp got super hot after turning up the gain a little to much (heehee) it decided to go off. lol. with all that said i decided to add a fan for both intake and exhaust. i was wondering, how exactly did you wire it? i got the fan off the 12v and to a grounding point once, but that is about it. i have a pioneer HU, could that also be a cause of why it only worked once (aftermarket). thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2006, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My wiring method is detailed about 5 posts above this one. Bosch relays about 2 bucks from PartsExpress.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
My wiring method is detailed about 5 posts above this one. Bosch relays about 2 bucks from PartsExpress.
dr. i, i wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to explain things. i'm a noob when it comes to electrical stuff, however from reading threads like this one i've learned enough to feel confident in installing my own system. i don't like letting anyone touch my car, you know? if something gets screwed up, i'd rather it be me that did it and not some underpaid worker at best buy.

anywho, since i would like to avoide mistakes i have a question for you. i like the relay idea so the fan only comes on when the amp is on. however, i am considering using 2 fans to help with air circulation. if i go this rout, would i be able to run both fans off the relay without any problems?

also, when you mentioned to split the RTL wire and make a Y at the end, do you mean to divide the little copper wires such that half will be patched into the amp and the other half to the relay? i just want to clarify. thanks!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sure, you can run 2 fans off of the one relay-- it's a 30A relay, so you could actually run about a hundred and twenty 3" fans off it if you felt so inclined.

To make the Y at the end of the RTL, I just cut two lengths of wire and soldered them to the end of the single remote wire, so I'd have 2-- one for the amp, one for the relay.

Quick Reply: Amp in Cubby...Cooling Q?