Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

any writeups for installing a viper 791xv?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default any writeups for installing a viper 791xv?

does anybody know if there's a writeup for it? i wanted to attempt to install it myself. i understand that's about 15 or 16 wires to connect. i got a wire list that shows color and locations of the wires that i believe i need. i also have been reading the installation guide for the 791. i haven't bought it yet. there's a shop that'll install it for $299 w/o the autostart. they won't do the autostart because its a 5 speed. i can buy the unit on ebay for around $220-$240 shipped. i want to have somebody install it because its not much more but on the other hand i don't want somebody being careless and scratching up my panels or breaking anything. i had the kids at circuit city ( they were all just high school, college kids) install an old viper in my previous car and i later found broken pieces that were only visible when i took off the panels to look at the unit.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey i took my car to Best Buy and they did a good job. No broken pieces or anything like that. I to have a viper 791xv but with remote start. That's right i have an auto. It came with free install and the price was only $350 for the alarm plus tax. I also got the mercury switch for under the hood and a back up battery.Total for everything was $445.?? that includes tax.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is a mercury switch?
Old 12-24-2004, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A mercury switch is a little plastic tube with mercury in it. Attached to under hood so that if somebody trys to open your hood the alarm will sound off. The mercury will slide from one side to the other of the tube where there is two wires that are connected to the alarm system someway. Then it makes full contact and sound the alarm. Basiclly if somebody trys to cut the car battery to stop the alarm from going off then when they open the hood the tube tilt back and turns on the alarm. Only if the alarm is on in the first place. And the back up battery is also just incase they cut the car battery wires there will still be power to the alarm so it will still sound the alarm.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought the hoodpin wire is for detecting if the hood is opened or not
Old 12-25-2004, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by maximus96
i thought the hoodpin wire is for detecting if the hood is opened or not
yeah, he got ripped off for that...lol

hey i got remote start on mine too, mine's a 5 speed
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default getting mine wednesday

hood pin comes with the 791 xv
Old 12-11-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine came with the mercury switch. Viper 791XV. I probably got ripped, but I paid 499 with free install at bestbuy
Old 12-11-2005, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These are fairly intense alarms and unless you have some decent background in this area I would recommend a shop install it for you.

Just so you know, I have been a lifelong DIY guy, 37+ years of modding cars, I do my own alarms of course but this is not the easiest thing to do, why I recommend a shop, if you can verify they have a darn good installer.

Rick
Old 12-11-2005, 10:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alarms with remote start especially are a headache even for the most talented do it yourselfer without prior experience.. I've spent damn close to 20 hours in the shot WITH a relatively good installer trying to make the compustar high end unit play nice.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our last project car had over 200 connections to hook up and then needed programming on a computer. I got so tired of the tedious efforts to locate everything I finally hired a buddy that was listed as one of the top US installers to finish it. While he did that I worked on another buddies M3 audio system, I charged just enough to pay to finish the alarm, much easier work for me;)

In the tC I installed a Python 900 (same as a Viper whatever, lol) it has a pager, no built in remote start but it has 6 extra channels so you can control all sorts of things, just in case I want to add more later.

I have another one, NIB and the window control and remote start I was going to put into out truck but decided the old clifford unit is still just fine, 100k miles and never a problem so leaving it alone.

Rick
Old 12-11-2005, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd like for someone to try this on their install....because it doesn't work on mine....

Leave the headlights on. shut off the car and exit the doors (which will in turn make the headlamps go off)

Then, try arming or disamring the car and see if your parking lights flash or not.

Mine do NOT. Only if I have the headlight swithc in the "off" position prior to exiting.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

like raamaudio said, if you have not done it before, then i wouldt try it. I have installed hundreds of these and you can still run into problems. There is alot you can mess up by connecting to the wrong wire like ejecting your airbag for example.

As for the merc switch, they are better to use that the hood pin that comes in the box. if you live in an area that uses salt to melt snow in the roads then the pin switch will rust up. I know part of it is plastic but the connections will rust. I even tested it on my truck and sure enough it rousted and it wouldnt always set the alrm off when i opened up the hood.

Your best bet is the merc switch
Old 12-11-2005, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just don't park on an incline
Old 12-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Banned
SL Member

getting mine installed for 420 + tax
carfeteria milwaukee,wi
Old 12-12-2005, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd like for someone to try this on their install....because it doesn't work on mine....

Leave the headlights on. shut off the car and exit the doors (which will in turn make the headlamps go off)

Then, try arming or disamring the car and see if your parking lights flash or not.

Mine do NOT. Only if I have the headlight swithc in the "off" position prior to exiting.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i have that same prob. so basically since i always have my headlights on, my parking lights dont flash. I tried getting around this by hooking up the parking light wire to the hazards just like factory keyless and it worked perfect. only prob is when you RS the car, your hazards will be on.

Also, in response to the parking on an incline, here in the midwest, we dont have that problem at all. But all you have to do is adjust the merc switch a little more (bend it) so it will not affect the alarm/RS.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW! it was almost a year ago since i started the original thread...
Old 12-12-2005, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, wow, i normally notice that kinda stuff. Oh well, haha
Old 12-12-2005, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, I didnt notice either. Damn walking dead theads... *grabs baseball bat*

Quick Reply: any writeups for installing a viper 791xv?