Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Auxiliary stereo harness(es)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM

Default Auxiliary stereo harness(es)

Ok, I've had an aftermarket HU in my '09 tC for some time and it's fantastic.
What I'm looking to do now is to relocate the USB and AUX from the glovebox where they're run now, to the center console where the stock plugs are.

Here's the catch - I want to re-use the existing stock wiring for this.
The iPod connector in the center console will be repurposed to pass straight USB back to the HU using a custom adapter I'll wire up with the stock iPod cable.
On the HU end, I don't want to hack off the factory harness connectors, but would like to find a harness that I can use to break out the stock AUX and iPod (repurposed to USB) wires, this way I can always return to stock with the factory stereo if ever needed.

I've seen a steering wheel controls harness, but nobody seems to have a picture of the connector with the pins showing so I can confirm it's the harness that I need. Does anyone have a confirmation of that or information on what harness I'd need to break out iPod/AUX from the '09 Pioneer wiring?

I've been looking for days for this thing and can't seem to find anything solid without spending $13+shipping on a gamble... did that once already and got burned.

Last edited by muriani; 01-14-2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM

This one *looks* right, has anybody bought one and can confirm it does indeed plug into the two remaining jacks on the factory harness? If so then it's exactly what I need.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...SWC-8113H.html <--- [EDIT: NOT the right harness, that's for the steering control. more info in posts below.]

edit: Partially answering my own question here.. it seems to have *one* of the plugs, the thinner one seems to match the 20pin on the factory harness. It make sense that the other one left (which isn't the shorter 12pin that other Toyotas have, learned that the hard way) is going to have AUX/iPod. Any ideas on a harness for that?
It's about the same length as the steering control connector, but not as many pins. I can try to get a pic of the male connector tonight from the original HU.
...should have done that from the beginning, but I never remember to do these things when I'm at home >_<

edit2: Found a pic of the back of my HU model on some eBay auction, and the 12pin AUX connector is there. Also, reading a description of the wires elsewhere on this forum it notes "2 iPod connectors" and also the steering wheel controls.
I guess I just missed the 12pin cable when I was looking behind my stereo last weekend.
The harness I linked earlier is just for steering wheel control, from what I can tell - which I would definitely like to add at some point anyway.

Last edited by muriani; 01-14-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 PM

OK, this is the connector I need to find a harness for.

I've tried all the google search terms I can think of for this, everything comes up with custom iPod interfaces that go to the 12pin AUX port.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 PM

Alright, well. Couldn't find that harness anywhere, so I did the next best thing.
Found one of these on ebay for far cheaper: http://toyota-parts.toyotapart.com/pt546%252D21061
Gonna wire a good thick USB cable to that, and and then hack up the stock adapter cable (PT546-21062) to give it a USB-A port.
That'll take care of my problem right there, and give other people an option on using the stock outlets for aftermarket ipod-ready head units.
It's not as clean as I'd like, but I just couldn't find a harness that'd work with the iPod plug on the HU side of the cable.

I'll post pics when I'm wiring it up.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Ok, PT546-21061 is NOT the same as the one the 2009 tC uses.
Here they have the center console AUX and iPod ports running to the same plug, and then it breaks back out at the head unit (I think).

Since pictures are worth a thousand words (and because I already wrote the whole thing up and don't feel like reposting everything), head to http://www.kf5rsx.com/success-and-failure/ for the write-up.

TL;DR - AUX works great, USB iPod connection doesn't due to the way the Toyota iPod cable (PT546-21062) is constructed - at least not with the wires that I arbitrarily chose to use.