Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

a/c and heat not blowing

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM

Default a/c and heat not blowing

Ok so for the past few months my a/c and heat have been acting up and coming on only when they feel like it. I drive for a couple miles and all of a sudden it kicks on. It doesn't matter what settings you have it on, nothing works. Its only every now and then, not an all the time thing, which is why I'm so lost. I took it to the dealer and they didn't even look at it because at that moment it came straight on. Any suggestions??
Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wannatc2010
Ok so for the past few months my a/c and heat have been acting up and coming on only when they feel like it. I drive for a couple miles and all of a sudden it kicks on. It doesn't matter what settings you have it on, nothing works. Its only every now and then, not an all the time thing, which is why I'm so lost. I took it to the dealer and they didn't even look at it because at that moment it came straight on. Any suggestions??

yup.. it's either one of three things, the actual hvac board (the one you see with the buttons and big temp dial in the middle) below the radio. that could've gone bad, or, the blower fan motor is dying, or the power resistor that drives the fan is bad.

I had a fan go bad on mine, was making noises so I got a TYC aftermarket blower fan motor, complete with the "squirrel cage" which is the fan blades. Not a bad deal for $37!

Yours sounds like an intermittent power connection, get under the glove box area, there are two clips, just push and the panel will drop down. Then you'll see the three screws that hold the blower fan and then at the center of the circle you'll see a power connection. See if you can remove that, push the side plastic tap and then gently pull down. Then push that back in and see if that helps. Who knows, maybe someone was in there messing with it, like a previous owner or mechanic, etc. And that could be an easy fix for the power problem of it coming on and off.. Hit a bump, it comes on.. etc. It's worth a try.

I know someone else went through all the troubleshooting and ended up just buying a new blower fan motor, now I didn't have intermittent issues on mine just lots of noise, but on theirs it was on-off whenever it wanted.

check the connections and write back with what happened.. hope that helps ya!