Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Carbon Fiber Sub Box

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Carbon Fiber Sub Box

My local audio dealer and I were talking about a new box for my tC, and he mentioned he does custom Fiberglass and CF boxes.
Now I know that CF is stronger than Fiberglass, but how does it work in the arena of being a box for a sub.

BTW, this would be a custom shaped box for the back, to house only 1 Eclipse 10" DVC sub.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, no one knows? I am shocked at this community...
Old 04-10-2006, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the idea that it will be very light and not weigh the car down.. But it's going to be so much money it will definately not be worth it.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah im just not sure how to reply.

I know that i havent really seen that done before so i dont know if its that way for a reason like cost or a reason other than that.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if the extra cost is worth it (Carbon Fiber) but it is similar to fiberglass which is an awesome material to make enclosures from. The disadvantage to carbon fiber would be additional cost and it's limited to how many angles can be done.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am actually a Textiles Engineer and can offer some warning. In the application method used for speaker enclosures, Carbon Fiber will be no stronger than Fiberglass. Carbon is only stronger in a filament form.....meaning one continuous fabric from beginning to end that is hardened usually with Epoxy Resin. If he is making a CF enclosure that is 100% CF and Epoxy Matrix then you will have to have heat and pressure molding capability. Without it it would be very difficult to get the shape to hold and offer any true strength. If he is layering it with CF mat like you do with fiberglass and using Polyester Resin its alot of money for the look only. One thing I have considered is building a fiberglass piece for my bike and when it is done using carbon fiber fabric as the final layer and Epoxy for the look. This would offer strength and look without the cost of additional layers of CF.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear ya Dan, and thank you for that piece of wisdom. I will bring it to his attention and see exactly how he does it.

I just talk to him because he makes awesome boxes, and I'd rather pay him $300 for a custom box than pay www.bassforms.com $300 for a look that anyone can get.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PrivateTucker
I hear ya Dan, and thank you for that piece of wisdom. I will bring it to his attention and see exactly how he does it.

I just talk to him because he makes awesome boxes, and I'd rather pay him $300 for a custom box than pay www.bassforms.com $300 for a look that anyone can get.
Custom boxes are deffinitely the way to go. I will be building one for my trunk as soon as i finish the street-fighter project i am working on with my Ninja. I will post some pics of both when im done. I may do something in the car out of aluminized fiberglass. This is sometimes called silver carbon fiber as that is pretty much what it looks like.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

most of the time when people say carbon fiber, it is CF layed on top of fiberglass. most hoods on the market are like this, a fiberglass hood with carbon layed over top. as dan said, it would be more efficient to build a fiberglas box and cover in it CF material. It will still be costly though.

I spent a little over 100 in material alone to build my fiberglassed enclosure and amp rack
Old 04-14-2006, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well... just to clarify.... incase anyone was lost... usually... when its said to be building a cf box.... normally the first several layers are regular fiberglass.... then when finnishing off the box... there is either a cf matting which it layed down... which is much more difficult... espeacially on sub boxes (because of all the curves anf such it can distort the cf...) or you can get cf print vinyl... which is usually much easierand more cost effective...

just thought i would throw this in...