Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Christmas wish list-new speakers?-tc

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Christmas wish list-new speakers?-tc

hey guys,
I've been thinking hard about it and I want to get a a new sound system for my tc. I already bought a new headunit with front aux input (Aiwa CDC-X304) for my ipod and i love it, but now i want more. I want to have a well-balanced system where I can listen to normal music without a huge bass thump, but then I also want it to be able to thump.

so my questions are:
What speakers should i get. Do i just new door speakers and rear speaker replacements and remove the tweeter?
Should i get new tweeters and go through the hassle of mounting them?
Whats a good amp thats not too pricey?
Would it be smart to wire a switch to the subs so I can turn them off when i want normal music or is there a better alternative?

My main problem at the moment is to find what kind of door speakers to buy and where to place them and how many and whatever lol....the other questions im not as worried about right now.

any help would be appreciated or if you want to list what you have that would help also.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Judging by what you already have and what you've said, I'd get a 4 channel amp, a component set for the front, and a single 10" or 12" sub in a sealed box...leave the rear speakers as they are....

since the HU you have only has one set of outputs (switchable from sub/preamp), you'll need to run RCA's to the 4 channel with 2 RCA y-cables....the front 2 channels on the amp should be used as left and right for the front component set and the rear 2 channels should be crossed over at the amp and bridged to the sub.... If you have more questions, feel free to ask...
Old 11-21-2005, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for your reply, why do you say leave the rear speakers? I wouldn't blow them with an amp? that makes it easier...so I only need 2 component speakers for the door and then sub(s) and an amp in your suggestion?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One component set will be complete with: 2 midrange speakers, 2 tweeters, and 2 crossover networks...... the rear speakers generally are only for a fill....the idea of building a stereo system with components is to get a stage effect as if you're at a concert.....therefore, you want no, or very little, rear sound..... If you want, you could upgrade the rear speakers to coaxials to match the series of the front components, but I wouldn't amp them at all....just run the rears from the HU.....

as far as amping, if you don't want a whole lot of thump, I'd go with what I said in the 4 channel amp..... run the front 2 channels to the front component set and the rear 2 channels bridged to a sub....
Old 11-21-2005, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was checking out your pics on cardomain. sorry for so many questions...buttt okay, you mounted your 2 midrange in the door, you have your crossover sitting in the door, where did you mount your tweeters?

lol if I had the money I would just take my car somewhere and have someone decide for me. Are there any good websites that can teach me or help me decide or anyone bored enough to do it? lol
thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tweeter is mounted on the factory bracket in the door as well....
www.the12volt.com
www.carstereo.com

those are 2 great sites to learn from....

Here is how to completely GUT a tC:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60981

Don't worry about asking too many questions....there's no such thing.....soak up all the info like a sponge and put it all to use.....
Old 11-22-2005, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey, I was looking at these components http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LIDkUN1...07DB6500&g=410.

do these look good, any advice on them?
also.... I really cant decide what to do about subs and enclosure. I have friends who tell me i dont want a sealed box because it wont be loud..but the main thing i want in my system is control. I want to be able to listen to some rock, some soft rock, but then be able to turn up the bass and listen to rap. what kind of setup would you suggest? 2 10's? 1 12? Sealed? ported?

after i tackle this issue then ill move to what amp :-) thanks for any help guys.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what i would suggest is for you to get a single sub in a sealed box if you are after control.. probably a single 12 for that extra bass... yes its true you wont have that deep lasting bass effect but you will certainly feel the thump... ported box is usually applied to those who wants deep rolling bass.. but in your case, since you said u want control and flexibility, go with a sealed... one more thing to consider when upgrading the system is your budget.. how much are you willing to spend... dont just buy something because its cheap but later on suffer due to crappy performance... there are a lot of ways to get good deals and good systems... i can attest to that cuz i myself was able to set-up a decent system for less than 500bux... from the HU, 2amps, single 10sub, comps... you just have to research prices and compare....
Old 11-22-2005, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw, polks are fine... well, honestly, it all boils down to preference...
Old 11-22-2005, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with the above..... You may look into JL's H.O. Wedge loaded box....they're built by JL and have different styles.....I'd suggest a 8w7 or a 10w7 in the JL HO box... they'll bump damn hard for a single small sub but they'll sound excellent too!!! only drawback is the cost.... $500 for the 8w7 in an HO box...Well worth it IMO....
Old 11-22-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true... any JL's are good but if budget restricts you... like me... you have to be resourceful in finding good deals... hehehe... or, what you could do is to buy the items one by one.. in that case, you are saving for the better ones rather than rushing into buying and then get the upgrade bug... i think its always good to start with a decent reliable 4channel amp... try looking into the old school rockford amps on ebay... cheap but time and tested... but always be sure that when you go ebay you are buying from a reputable seller.. its a make or break... then after the amp, buy the components... then the subs...
Old 11-22-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ agreed......I've been in what we call budget competitions before....basically, instead of classing by watts or number of subs, you go by the amount of $$ spent.....with $250 I hit a 150.4 in a 1st gen eclipse......

my system now only cost me $550 (amps, subs/box, components)...I already had the HU from past cars....
Old 11-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Well, if you're looking for a system on a budget, I could probably help you out.

eDi 6000s up front for the components.

9Kv.2 D2 for the sub stage, ported or sealed box, both sound fine in a tC. This was actually reviewed in PAS a few months ago

Nine.4 to power the whole thing.

Total on that would run you $386.75. Obviously you'd need a box, which we could build for you as well. The box would probably run around $50-$60 and a wiring kit. So, grand total, you'd be looking at about $475-$500 for a total system.

The people here can give you input on eD equipment, there's quite a few Scions out there with eD gear
Old 11-22-2005, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yuppy yup! IMO, i still think that the old school amps are the real thing... unless ofcourse i will be buying a highend JL amp or a zapco amp...
Old 11-22-2005, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are you guys opinion about dynamat or any alternative in your tcs? do you have it? does your hatch or anywhere else rattle badly?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60981

that's mandos's tC and thread....stuff's always a good extra to have.....I have some sound absorber in mine that I got from work....
Old 11-22-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Inserting thread snooping device!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you have that sound absorber in your doors or hatch or both? anyone have hatch rattle problems with your subs sittin back there?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just in my doors....it's not as heavy as the deadener that most people use...it's more to just keep the sound waves from bouncing around inside the door(it's rubber backed foam)..... Most deadeners are heavy to help change the resonant frequency of the panel it's attached to....

I don't actually have many rattles.....mine mostly are coming from the sunroof and the hatch itself....
Old 11-23-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

I use RAAMmat throughout MY WHOLE car...

You cannot even begin to describe the difference in audio response as a result... The tC is insanely bad for resonance and if you are going to invest the time and money into quality, then you must upgrade the quality of your car's VERY poor audio design...

The rear side panels are accoustical nightmares, as well as the hatch... if you take the interior panels off, you'll notice that the rear sides are pretty much just the body shell... and there are two great channels from the back bumper, over the rear wheal wells, to transmit negative resonance right up into the passenger area and bounce all over the place in those open areas...

I use ID Cameleon Separates up front.... PRICEY, but the audio quality makes me cringe with delight!

Quick Reply: Christmas wish list-new speakers?-tc