Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Clifford Alarm Install on tC

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Clifford Alarm Install on tC

Has anyone did a Clifford RSX 3.5 alarm on a tC? I want that alarm, and plan to get it.

They are selling it for 189 + 18 shipping/handling on eBay... does that included everything or do I still need to buy that 555X or 555U thing.

I've never delt with alarms, but seen a few installs that look messy and all that wire and crap gets bundled up and shoved up behind the dash.

That is why I am nervous about getting it and having hell installing it. Any one who got this installed and have tutorial I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think you do need the bypass unit, 555U i think.
below is what i got from a post, hope you can use the info. i wanted to do my own install but end up paying.

12volts
red (30A), white (25A)
+
ignition harness

Starter black + ignition harness
Second Starter green + ignition harness
Ignition blue + ignition harness
Second Ignition yellow + ignition harness
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory gray + ignition harness
Second Accessory N/A
Keysense black - ignition harness
Power Lock green to blue - driver kick, 20 pin plug, pin 15
Power Unlock purple to pink (double pulse) - driver kick, 20 pin plug, pin 14
Lock Motor blue to brown 5wi driver kick, gray 7 pin plug, pin 6
Unlock Motor pink to blue 5wi driver kick, gray 7 pin plug, pin 5
Parking Lights+ brown + top of fuse box, 30 pin plug, pin 29
Parking Lights- brown - headlight switch
Hazards orange - hazard switch
Turn Signal(L) yellow + top of fuse box, 30 pin plug, pin 27
Turn Signal(R) green + top of fuse box, 30 pin plug, pin 28
Reverse Light pink + top of fuse box, 14 pin plug, pin 2
Door Trigger orange (D), blue (P) - top of fuse box
Dome Supervision blue - L side of fusebox, 6 pin plug, pin 2
Trunk/Hatch Pin purple - top of fuse box, 30 pin plug, pin 7
Hood Pin N/A
Trunk/Hatch Release orange - driver kick, gry 12 pin plug, pin 12
Power Sliding Door N/A
Factory Alarm Arm arms with lock
Factory Alarm Disarm disarms with unlock
Disarm No Unlock use key sense wire
Tachometer black ac data link conn. under dash, pin 9
Wait to start N/A
Brake Wire blue + brake pedal switch
Parking Brake black - parking brake switch
Horn Trigger white - steering column
Memory Seat 1 N/A
Memory Seat 2 N/A
Memory Seat 3 N/A

Immobilizer Bypass Module
Old 02-18-2005, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I owned a viper alarm back a few years ago and it totally crapped out on me. First, the alarm went off and stayed going off....then because it was going off, it cut my starter power. Mind you, the alarm worked great for a few years but this was the result of years of aging. My real question, via this reply, is if I get a new alarm system, what is going to happen to my brand new car a few years down the road??? There is no way in hell I can go through that again but on the other end, I want to keep it protected. can someone post a reply just so I have a reference. Has anybody heard of this happening? Are alarms now that much better then 3 years ago? Any reply would be helpful. thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member

i installed a Clifford Matrix 3.2 in a TC and it was pretty straightfoward. it was my first alarm so it took a while. i dont' have a tutorial but i can give you hints. i hope you are familiar with a multimeter.

- driver's door trigger was found in the underdash fuse panel. the passenger door trigger was also supposed to be here but i could not find it. instead, i found it in the passenger kick panel. it will show a voltage 5-12volts when the door is closed and 0V when the door is open. you must diode isolate the wires.

- i installed the hood pin on the driver's side of the engine bay along the fender. i just put it in the empty hole near the front.

- there are two starter wires and they both need to be cut and tied together if you are wiring up a starter kill /antigrind relay.

- don't bother wiring up the trunk release because the trunk will not unlock unless the car is disarmed. this makes it worthless because you can unlock the rear hatch with two presses of the unlock.

- tie the 2nd unlock wire AND the diarm/unlock wire to the car's unlock wire.

- do not need dome supervision wire because the car has the feature from the factory.

- keysense wire not required unless you have the factory alarm.

- solder all your electrical connections and properly apply electrical tape to them. use the good kind or else you will find it will come off with heat.

those are just all the things i thought off the top of my head. let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the clifford responder, also known as the rsx 3.5. Since i am not too familiar with the electrical system in cars, and didn't want to f up my brand new car, i left it to the professionals. The install took them all day (dropped of my car at 9am, picked it up at 4pm) and they charged me 650 total. Since your messing with the starter with this kit, i just didnt feel that i was experienced enough to handle this. My advice owuld be to get it done professionally if your not experienced at this, atleast this way if something goes wrong its the company's fault and they have to fix it for you for free.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member

i agree with jrv2000, if you do not have any idea about what i mentioned in the previous post, you probably shouldn't attempt this.

however, if you are DIY-er then this is a fun project and i'd be willing to walk you through it.

if you get a professional to do it, try shopping for a better price. 650 seems a bit high.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

556u works, i got it in mine..........i would recommend grinding down the key you give up so if they find it they can't use it
Old 02-18-2005, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since the chip is in the head of the key, can't you just cut off the entire tooth part of the key?
Old 02-18-2005, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member

you could but the tooth part of the key helps hold the key in place inside the 555u/556u immobilizer bypass unit.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

with my viper I had free repair if something broke but the place that installed it shut down and you had to have a certified viper dealer to fix it....so I took it out. There is no way in hell I would do this myself. Can someone help me pick one of the best ones out? ( I want it to have everything and very very good quality)
Old 02-18-2005, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member

alarms are much better quality and have more features than they have in the past. DEI, makers of viper, clifford, and other brands are well known for their quality.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Thanks.

Thanks for all the inputs, yeah... I know what those are saying about having a pro do it. They charge $599.99 + Tax with install at the local store.

My plan was to get the alarm from eBay and have an installer do a side job and pay them that way.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member

that's what i do. my side job is an installer and we charge way less. way to support us.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Yeah...

Exactly

Its not like they don't want the money... Thats why they work right? But most of the money goes to the company to pay for all the overhead cost (building, utilities, etc.).
Old 02-18-2005, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

what I need to know is what models are the best and the best prices for them. ...that way i dont get ripped off
Old 02-18-2005, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member

you can get the viper 791xv or clifford rsx 3.5 on ebay for less than 200. you'll have to install it yourself or get someone to do it on the side. i don't think an authorized DEI dealer will install a DEI alarm that wasn't purchased at their store.

if you plan on purchasing the alarm at the store and getting it installed there, prices vary by location and store so you'll have to shop around. ask them what features are included in the installation because often times , they will charge extra for adding different features while other shops include that in the installation price. good luck.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got mine installed for $285 (that's with taxes in Los Angeles, Remote Start option, and the Install) I think that's the best price i've seen around. Good ol' San Gabriel Valley
Old 02-18-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ucsdpinoy where did u get it in the san gabriel valley???? please let me know
Old 02-18-2005, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UCSDPinoy
I got mine installed for $285 (that's with taxes in Los Angeles, Remote Start option, and the Install) I think that's the best price i've seen around. Good ol' San Gabriel Valley
wow nice price. thats not including the purchase price of the alarm itself right? and was the work guaranteed at all?

thanks!
Old 02-18-2005, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by UCSDPinoy
Where's this place? That's a hell of a good deal. Is this their standard rate or did you get hooked up?

Quick Reply: Clifford Alarm Install on tC