Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Component Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Component Install Questions

I'll make this to the point. I'm installing an Infinity Reference 6020cs system this week. It's my first component install, bear with me please

(1) What's the best way to mount the tweeters in the stock mounting location? I'd rather not mount them elsewhere despite SQ benefits.

(2) I want the crossovers in the door panel. Where should I place them, and what should I use to attach them to the door panel?

(3) I'm planning on running speaker wire from the output of the amp to the back of the head unit, and connecting them to the speaker wires currently ran to the doors (i.e. disconnecting the speaker outputs from the headunit, and connecting them to the wires I'm running from the amp). I'm only pushing ~80-90Wrms to each speaker, will the stock wiring handle this with minimum noise?

(4) Following the above statement using the stock wiring, I should run the old tweeter connections to the new crossover input, then run the new components from the crossover output.... right?

I made some home-made baffles today that I primed and will paint later for moisture resistance, hoping to install the speakers tomorrow or New Year's Day.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

are you using the stock deck........once you start cuttign wires and such you are just gonna end up with problems.get a deck with RCA outputs and run rca to amp and then out to speakers.Leave stock wiring alone.

As for stock location to mount that tweeter it will sound very inyour face and is about all you will hear.either put in pillar or kick panel.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, I have a Pioneer FH-8000BT as my head unit.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

then run RCA from back of deck out put to amp location input.
then speaker wire from output of amp to speaker location and hook into the crossover input.
then from crossover input to speakers.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As I stated before, I want to keep the tweeters in the stock location. If the sound is undesirable, I'll see what I can change later. Is there a simple way of mounting them there?

Also, methods of mounting the crossover? Thanks for your replies.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Yes you can remove the stock tweeters,and remove the mounting bracket from them and modify it to fit the new tweeter and then hot glue into place.once you have it all apart you will see......if tweet is to high you can run it out of phase to try and cut off some of the sound.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Component Install Questions

Originally Posted by rcf22
(2) I want the crossovers in the door panel. Where should I place them, and what should I use to attach them to the door panel?
Anyone, anyone?...
Old 12-31-2008, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

When I did mine I used deadening material to stick them to the door panel.that way they can be removed and after nearly a year they are still stuck solid.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting idea, but I don't plan on sound deadening during this installation... Any other ideas? I know tons of people out there have components that mounted crossovers in the door!
Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just used double sided mounting tape from m3. Its cheap and still on there strong.

did you need the location of where i mounted it?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd be interested in that too, since I'm not sure where there is sufficient space between the door panel and door.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

You can use that 3m double sided tape for mounting the crossovers if you don't want to use screws. When I had my tC I removed the stock tweeters from their brackets and drilled a hole in it because the Alpine tweeters I originally had used screws that went into the back of the tweeters. When I switched to my Infinity Kappa Perfects I used hot glue to secure the tweeters to the brackets.

Personally I ran all of my own wiring into the doors of my tC through the factory grommets and had the crossover mounted above the kick panel. I was also running a 4 channel so this wasn't an issue. If you're planning on running these off of the stereo then you better mount them in the door and use some speaker harnesses to make life easy and do no damage to the factory wiring.

Hope this helps

Also, in my current setup my 4 crossovers are mounted in the doors. I ran 9wire from my 4 channel to dash where it's connected to the factory wiring harness. Currently I'm not running a stereo, just a 2 input 7 band Clarion EQ and a Sirius satellite radio flush mounted in the dash.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all the tips L337Biker, that's exactly what I had in mind to do. It's good to get confirmation that this will work. I'll let you guys know how my system turns out
Old 12-31-2008, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

You may have to alter the tweeter brackets a little bit, btw the stock tweeters are held on there w/ a little glue. My old type R components sat on there just fine but my Infinitys are a little bulkier and I had to bend the bracket down a little bit to keep the tweeters from damaging the grills on the doors, keep that in mind before remounting the door panels
Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, yeah, I've already removed the stock tweeters from the bracket. I'll go ahead and bend the brackets back before replacing them. Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:26 AM
SL Member

i also just installed components and when i unplugged my rear speakers the static noise went away. are they supposed to be disconnected after instlling the components or is there something wrong?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Component Install Questions

Anyone, anyone?...
i cleaned inside the door panel with rubbing alcohol. After it dried, i use Industrial Strength Velcro from Home Depot to stick the crossover in the door panel. There is a lot room in there. Roll your window down before you put the crossover inside, just to make sure it is not in the way.
I like velcro because I can take the crossover anytime then stick it back on.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by astros15
i also just installed components and when i unplugged my rear speakers the static noise went away. are they supposed to be disconnected after instlling the components or is there something wrong?
Umm somethin's wrong w/ your setup
Old 01-02-2009, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

This is from when I first installed my first set of CDTs, back in 05. And while the x-overs aren't mounted yet in the photo, see the two holes just below the pink label on the factory wiring loom? The bottom two holes on my x-overs are bolted to those holes. Well, they were. Now I just use that super-strength sticky-back Velcro. Works a charm. The CDT x-overs are average sized, and they fit under the door panel with no problems.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Doc, just what I wanted to see.

Quick Reply: Component Install Questions