Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Cruise Control for Tc spec possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member

Default Cruise Control for Tc spec possible?

Here's the deal. I just baught at Tc Spec and the dealer is telling me the whole time he can install cruise for $300. Totally a done deal now, I even have plane tickets to pick it up, and now they call and tell me they can't do cruise control. Something about it being an electronic throttle control or some bs and Toyota doesn't offer it.

Doesn't make any sense to me at all sinse the 'regular' model comes with it standard. They are calling it an '07 model and I'm wondering if anything is any different between the '07 vs. earlier models with regards to engine, engine management or electronic ignition etc.

So, anyone have any bright ideas? Really iritated by all this and could use some help.

Thanks very much (sorry if this was already discussed. I tried doing a search w/o much luck).

Robert M
Old 08-04-2006, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a reason why it's the spec model. It's not prepped or loaded for the luxuries of the normal model. Why buy a "spec" if you're just going to buy the things that come with the normal one? Counterintuitive and oxymoronic (note that I'm NOT calling you a moron) in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member

How is that reply in even the least possible way helpful or constructive?
Old 08-04-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

excuse my ignorance...but what is a spec model?
Old 08-04-2006, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member

Same as regular model but with steel wheels, no sunroof (solid glass), no cruise, no steering wheel radio control and slighly different colored interior. A few other minor differences but they all add up to basically nothing to me. Cost is $1400 less. For me it came down to adding cruise for $300 (according to the deaer originally) and having $1100 left to play with. I hate sunroofs and I could care less about the radio buttons. The exterior has a little less chrome which I actually like better. $1100 is a lot of money to change wheels and do whatever else I want.

There is a sticky about the model somewhere on this site. Toyota doesn't really have anything on it at their website.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:54 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

electronics for the spec model are completely different from the regular tCs and the '07s are very different from the previous years as well both engine-wise, and electronically.

adding cruise control to the vehicle would both be time consuming and impractical... though i can't say impossible, and would probably cost you well over $300 to do. in the end, Jake may be right that you'll save money just buying a regular tC in the first place.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Banned
SL Member

Save the 300 and put it toward a intake or exhaust.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

$1400 is not worth the saving IMO unless you're paying cash it doesn't make much of a difference. CC is very important to me if I have to take a trip an hour or more away. You should really think if the spec is really worth it cuz when it comes down to it, it really isn't. Plus you bought a plane ticket to pick it up?? Why? Spend the extra $1400 and sell the rims, pocket your plane ticket money and pay the extra $5-$10 a month for the regular tC. The spec is a good idea bought they needed to do more to make it better and worth it. It just doesn't scream stripped and doesn't scream cheaper.