Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DVD HU in 08 tC w/OEM Sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Default DVD HU in 08 tC w/OEM Sub

Hey all.
Yes... i did search and read other threads before posting. Felt that a new thread would help me with my question the most.

I am thinking about getting an aftermarket DVD/CD HU.
I have a 2008 tC that I bought brand new and had the Pioneer Premium system put in it that Scion offered. So it has the factory under floor sub in the back.
On the OEM HU there are menu controls that allow you to change the settings on the sub itself. (anyone that knows/has the Premium HU knows what I'm referring to).
I want to leave the OEM sub in the car and use it w/ the aftermarket HU mentioned above. Anyone have any experience with doing something similar? and if so... how is the functionality of the OEM sub? Tips, suggestions please
Oh and also... what would the adapter be that I would need to still use my steering controls w/ the aftermarket HU?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2010, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i used my stock sub with my D3 just fine, just had to play around with the menu a little to get it setup.

and i believe this is what you need for the steering wheel controls.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-B1n4Qnu...AC-SWI-PS.html
Old 02-14-2010, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie
i used my stock sub with my D3 just fine, just had to play around with the menu a little to get it setup.

and i believe this is what you need for the steering wheel controls.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-B1n4Qnu...AC-SWI-PS.html
Thanks man. I'll check that out.

I was just curious b/c with the 08+ premium OEM HU's you have menu control over how the sub runs.... from level of bass to just the sub...and running it in normal or reverse mode, etc. Just didnt know how that would be affected in changing to an aftermarket HU.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

wow... I bet a lot of people dont get the PAC adapter... they are pretty proud of those things... geez lol
Old 02-14-2010, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

if its a good aftermarket HU, it should have better tuning capabilities than OEM.

i bought one of the adapters for my D3 but never got it to work. im pretty sure it came broken because there were quite a few other people not having any luck either
Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Also want to toss this out there... I know they are on the lower end..more budget minded units...but toss out experiences with DUAL products.
Complete crap? not bad for price? or?
I want something that I can play dvd's /GPS on...that wont fall apart but wont break the bank either...
Old 02-14-2010, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

personally, ive always been against DUAL products. They sell them at walmart...
i have a couple buddies who use them and dont seem to have any problems with them.
i just think you get what you pay for, id spend a little extra cash, get a nice unit that comes with a good warranty, customer service, and a reputation for good quality.

id rather just spend the extra cash the first time and do it right, rather than having to possibly replace the unit down the road and send twice as much.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

yeah... it's pretty much that way with anything... generally you get what you pay for. But every once in a while I've seen some products while not top end... have turned out to be pretty good bang for the buck.

So let me pose this question to ya and/or anyone else that has personal experience with this brand.
What would you say if you had the OEM Pioneer Premium (2008 ) HU... and were offered a direct trade/swap with a friend for a DUAL DVD/CD HU that has GPS capability?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:21 PM
SL Member

I would rather keep my oem unit over any dual product anyday. I work as an installer for bestbuy and trust me I get more customers coming back with issues with their dual headunits than I do with anything else. But then again there have been the few rare instances where ppl who bought dual haven't had any issues.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Well reason I started this thread to get opinions/feedback on it were because I'd never really messed with that type of HU before. Done lots of installs...but no DVD/GPS units.

a good friend of mine is selling his tC to get a new car. He bought the unit new like 7 months ago and hasn't had any problems with it. And since he's not getting really anymore for selling it with his tC he offered to do a straight trade for my oem one if I wanted to. So I thought I'd get some feedback here on it first.

So thanks!