Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Elemental Designs stealth box fit subs other than ED?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 AM
SL Member

Default Elemental Designs stealth box fit subs other than ED?

I was doing some searching for stealth boxes to fit in the tC and came across the Elemental Designs stealth box.
I didn't see any specifics on the ED website, like actual airspace/dimensions of the box...
I just ordered a new head unit for my tC and eventually want to upgrade the sub... then most likely also the front and rear speakers. I want to keep everything looking stock, and the sub hidden as it is now.

A couple questions:

1) For those who have actual experience with the box and the SQ10 sub, how does that sub sound? I've read that it's pretty decent, but really how does it compare to some more well-known subs? For example, say a JL 10w3...

2) The box looks a little shallow... does anyone know if the box will fit any other 10" subs? I'm guessing that it's too shallow for a JL 10w3, right?
If I wanted to go with something better than the ED SQ10, what would be good to go with that would fit the ED stealth box?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-19-2008, 06:40 AM
SL Member

Sounds descent, I have it, and for the stealth look you cant beat it. There are other shallow mount subs, but I dont think you will notice too much diff.. Neither one will be setting off too many car alarms. but 100x better then the stock 08 sub
Old 08-19-2008, 06:51 AM
SL Member

Thanks for the reply...
I'm not looking to set off car alarms, because I'm not into wasting money just so people OUTSIDE of the car will enjoy it ;) Nor am I trying to make myself deaf, so...

More specifically, I'm curious about the quality of the SQ10's low-end sound...

From what people have said about it, it might suit my needs.

What amp do you have on it?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 AM
SL Member

Inside the car it sounds pretty good, hits pretty low for a 10" in a tiny box. I have one rattle somewhere either the box does not sit right, or the dust cover is loose, not a big deal unless your in the trunk, I cant hear it in the front of the car. For the price Im glad I made the purchase and would do it again for sure.
I am using an old Alpine mono amp.. old as in 07 model, was a close out I got for retail $150 I believe its a 250W'
Without looking i believe its the Alpine MRP-M450
Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I have the box and sub as well and it does pretty good......got to be carefull with your power to it though.......I am puttign 300w to mine form my NINe.5 and it is close to maxed any more and I will probably smoke it.

It has a good clean base and hits decent.....for what it is it sounds better than I figured.
My wife likes hiphop and i like metal so we each have our own settigns onthe AVIC eq to dial it in sound level wise....I have to dump the bass for her music and turn it up for mine.....but that is just how the music is recorded.

If you are wanting a good sub that takes no room inthe car it is the one for you.

As for other subs that will fit.....I do not think any others will....pretty sure the Pioneer shallow mount 10" is too deep by like 1/4 inch or something....and not sure about the JL

Also if you install it remove the false flooring that covers it in the car and make a new one to cover the tire as the sub will rattle it to death and although you cannot hear it in the car you can outside with the hatch open.It also moves a lot and will hit the floor piece if not supported properly off the sub face....which could damage the sub.