Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Freakin GROMMET!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Freakin GROMMET!!!!

So i did my install today putting neon lights outside my TC. it was an extra one i had from my Eclipse. everything was pretty good n having no problems considering i just learned how to tap into the fuse box n all that good stuff by reading the threads here on scionlife anywayz i was doin good till i ran across that grommet. this is my first install on my tc other than my hids which was easier than i thought it would be. i dont know how the hell u guys did it but that grommet was freakin tight and hard to maneuver around especially in the engine compartment cause some fluid container was blockin the grommet i couldnt unscrew the container cause there was some pipes connected to it n i didnt wana mess it up my car is 2010 so idk if the other tcs have it in that same position. i tried going in the passsenger side grommet i took off the glove compartment and the ECu was there i was going to unscrew it n put it through there but seing as this was the brain of my brand new Tc i didnt wana risk it just for a little neon light. so in the end i ended up thuglifin it and made the wire go through under the carpet and put it through a hole down there under the car and made it run inside the wheel well and through a little hole by the strut towers. So i got a couple questions for u professionals out there. 1)Is there anything wrong wit my install? 2)will the wire catch into anything moving by the wheel? 3)also i tapped into the ACC fuse what the F is that? 4) lastly ifi tap into the signal light in the fuse box will my neon blink like the turn signals do when i turn?
heres some pics
Attached Thumbnails Freakin GROMMET!!!!-img_0324.jpg   Freakin GROMMET!!!!-img_0325.jpg   Freakin GROMMET!!!!-img_0326.jpg   Freakin GROMMET!!!!-img_0327.jpg   Freakin GROMMET!!!!-img_0335.jpg  

Last edited by ack154; 11-25-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Language
Old 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah the grommet is kinda tight, what I did is cut a but of it open and it should make it a bit easier.. ACC fuse will give power when the key is acc position. there are other options besides the signal lights, it might be a good idea to tap a higher amp rating, not sure how much are the signal lights but if they are small being only turn signals, you might draw too much power and blow a fuse.. i havent tried that kind of setup but just some thoughts
Old 11-25-2009, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The duct tape = Fail. Use zip-ties if anything. The less wire you see, the better.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ultra fail that is not going to last, with that wire out in the open like that especially in the wheel well.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:51 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

1. yes
2. probably
3. if you can't answer that yourself, you should not touch wires nor handle any type of electrical work.
4. if you do it properly, at which we can assume that you do not have the capacity to understand how to. so the overall consensus is a no.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

squal people half to start somewhere right or nah?
Old 11-26-2009, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They need to be taught the proper way by a professional and then learn by experience, not screw it up and then pay a professional to fix it. I don't ever turn down someone when they ask me to show them how to do something.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:57 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by rangerryda
They need to be taught the proper way by a professional and then learn by experience, not screw it up and then pay a professional to fix it. I don't ever turn down someone when they ask me to show them how to do something.
QFT

certain things a professional can't really do nor explain much over an online forum.. it's not very practical for a person to walk a person through each step to make sure what they are doing is correct or not via that method

and certainly stop them from causing damage before it's too late.

probably best to ask a few friends who are experienced in wiring to help out in person.

the wires need to be routed better and the whole thing about wiring it up to the turn signals... someone want to try to explain to someone how a relay works? much less explain how to wire one up?

there's other resources for that information that are already out there for that.

as i mentioned in another thread.. i don't hand answers on a silver plate..
i throw plates.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People can actually have friends that are professionals and can walk them through every step so they don't have to be there for them next time ya know.

Then there are people that just want to learn by experience but take criticism constructively and figure it all out by themselves. I've got tons of car audio/video/alarm experience but never messed with soldering a circuit board (LED Swaps) but decided to give it a try with no experience. Check my sig link for results. Same goes for my upholstery, and turbo kit install, etc.