Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help installing interior led in footwells

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:23 AM

Default Help installing interior led in footwells

Hey guys, first post lol... anyways I need some help!

I am completely clueless on cars, I will be the first to admit but I have been making some mods to my 06 silver tC in the last 2 weeks and I am loving my interior. There is one more thing I want to do in my tC and that is blue led lighting in the footwells. I contacted the dealership and they want $390 to install them which I feel is completely insane.

I was wondering if someone could help me with the wiring of the leds to a power source. If possible, I would like them to be controlled by my headlights (headlights on, underglow on, headlights off, underglow off). I dont know any car lingo either so if you could keep it simple that would be appreciated lol. I feel like I could figure out how to mount them and hide the wiring, but I dont have any clue on how to power them. I thank you in advance for any help you guys can give me. THANKS!!
Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 AM

probly the easiest way would be to just get a switch from oznium.com they fit right into the switch blanks to the left of the stearing wheel and then just run a positive 18 gauge wire from your battery then find a ground inside the car somewhere. That would probly be the easiest way i could think of. let me know if you have questions.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please run a fuse on that wire if you do that.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by UTI_superwhite
probly the easiest way would be to just get a switch from oznium.com they fit right into the switch blanks to the left of the stearing wheel and then just run a positive 18 gauge wire from your battery then find a ground inside the car somewhere. That would probly be the easiest way i could think of. let me know if you have questions.
Thanks for responses so far. How would I hook the switch up so it would work with the LEDs? Where do you suggest grounding the negative end of the wire assuming i run positive to the positive on my battery? How do I connect the wire on the LED's to the 18 gauge wire that will be ran to my battery? I told you im clueless lol.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you get single leds or did you get the bar style
Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
Did you get single leds or did you get the bar style
got 2 19 inch bar style LEDs off oznium.com for driver and passenger footwells.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will 19" tube even fit?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:00 AM

Will 19" tube even fit?
From what i gathered that is the standard size to get, there is a 9.5 inch one i could get, should I get that one instead? Worried about it not being bright enough.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have picked up there cathode kit, you can get 2 12" cathodes with the transformer, then all you would need is the switch. You would need some extra wire.to run the positive from the switch to the battery.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 AM

I would have picked up there cathode kit, you can get 2 12" cathodes with the transformer, then all you would need is the switch. You would need some extra wire.to run the positive from the switch to the battery.
Ok, I will probably do that then, sounds easier. So when I get this, how do I connect all these wires and where do you suggest I ground? I have no idea what Im doing but I refuse to pay 400 dollars for something that could cost me like $60. Have you done this/ do you have a DIY for something like this?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did it in my old car. There is a ground on the passenger side under the carpet near the end of the center console, that should be good. Somebody might know a better place. Then I believe you run the power wire from the transformer to the switch and then from the switch to the battery but I good be wrong, it has been awhile. I think that is it. Make sure you have some kind of fuse between the battery and the switch so if something messes up it wont start a fire.

Heres the kit, then just go to the scion part and get the switch.
http://www.oznium.com/cathode-kit
Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 AM

I did it in my old car. There is a ground on the passenger side under the carpet near the end of the center console, that should be good. Somebody might know a better place. Then I believe you run the power wire from the transformer to the switch and then from the switch to the battery but I good be wrong, it has been awhile. I think that is it. Make sure you have some kind of fuse between the battery and the switch so if something messes up it wont start a fire.

Heres the kit, then just go to the scion part and get the switch.
http://www.oznium.com/cathode-kit
Ok cool, thanks a lot for your help! Im still debating between the cathodes and the LED strips which I have in my hand. If anyone knows how to do the LED strip way it would be easier so I dont have to go through return process and ordering new ones. Thanks for all the help so far everyone!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You said you wanted them to come on with your headlights, and led's don't take that much to run... So, just connect the (+) wires from both strips of led's to the (+) wire from your cubby hole light. It's already fused, and it only turns on with your headlights. Then hook both of your (-) wires together and connect it to the "supply" post on your switch. Then you'll want to ground the post labeled "load" or "accessory". And if your switch is lighted, you'll want to ground the ground post to any of the numerous screws, bolts, or nuts that are there. Now with the switch and your headlights on, your led's will be on too. Or if you don't want them on for any reason, and you need your headlights, just turn off the switch.

I know it sounds complicated, but trust me, it's easier this way, and you can just leave the switch on so that they will come on auto when you turn your headlights on. The problem with hooking them directly to your battery is that if you don't turn off your switch, they will stay on even if you turn off your engine, and lights.

Last edited by Aphex13; 10-02-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh okay i was wrong it is the negative, I thought you hook the positive to the switch.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did this with Oznium's 12" cathodes. Come on when I unlock the car and turn off when doors are locked or car is started.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It'll work either way. Just depends weather you want to break the circuit before or after the led's.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh okay, so if i did this I could run the power from the battery to the switch then to the power on the transformer. Or would it be better to run the negative to the switch then a good grounding spot?
Old 10-03-2009, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i ran my cathode footwell lighting from the battery (use a fuse!!). i grounded it on a bolt in my engine bay... ran both wires through the firewall... ran the power from battery to the switch... power from switch to power from transformer... and ground wire from engine bay directly to ground wire of cathode transformer.

pretty simple. i suggest buying the oem switch off of amazon, unless you are buying lighting from oznium. it is much cheaper on amazon versus just buying the switch alone off of oznium.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

when i did it on my other car i lifted up the carpet and grounded it to a bolt underneath the carpet. I have yet to lift up the tCs carpet. it could be an option.

Where I circled in red - that is where I grounded it.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

oh if you need to know anything specific, PM me. electrical is one area i am pretty good at.

Quick Reply: Help installing interior led in footwells