Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help: Water in interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help: Water in interior

Noticed water on my floormat when I got home today.
Removed black plastic panel from underneath passenger side dash.
Water sitting in it and sound deadening/insulation (whatever it is) is soaking wet. Couldn't tell the main source - there was a few condensed water drops here and there and on both sides of the carpet/floormat. What's that round black thing mounted up inside under the dashboard? I have a feeling it's coming from that. Heater core? I've got 4k miles left on my warrenty luckily.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm not a mechanic, but i'm willing to say it is in fact your heater core. i had that problem on an older chevy a while back. it progressed and flooded the driver side too. take care of that, pronto.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member

Default The exact thing happened to me this weekend in my xD

Over the weekend when making left turns, I noticed a the sound of water sloshing to the right side of the dashboard. During the later portion of the weekend, one of my passengers noticed that the floorboards were soaked and there was water leaking from the same location. On Monday, I took my car to the dealer who diagnosed it as a clogged vent for the AC and the solution was to install a cabin filter which retails for about $35. I was surprised to say the least to hear that it didn't come standard with the car but had it installed anyway.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll replace my cabin air filter and still take it to the dealer tomorrow. Little trick I learned here from SL. Buy the best filter you can for your furnace. About 8-$10. You can cut this up and get 4 "cabin air filters" for 1/3 the price of 1 from the dealer. hehehe
Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

it could be your heater core. check for the level on the coolant and keep an eye on your car temp needle. same thing happened to my celica. the heater core was $500 from the dealer, so i just routed the hoses back to the engine. now i have no heater
Old 09-23-2009, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok thanks I'll keep an eye on that. Didn't check coolant but temp needle seems fine
Old 09-24-2009, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealership said highly unlikely for the heater core given my make, year, and mileage. Also that there would be coolant leakage, steamy windshield, and hot rad fluid smell - none of which have occurred yet especially given how much I use my a/c or heater. Checking a/c drain hose by firewall under car (if I can find it) tomorrow. He also said there's a chance of leakage from a seal somewhere along the bottom of the windshield drain area.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

before u do any of that u should try to get under the car and look for the "AC drain plug".. its a little rubber hose near ur firewall under the car. When u find it, take an air hose and blast some air into it..

i worked at subaru as a tech and a huge issue with the subbies was that the ac drain plug would get clogged up and in turn would flood the passenger side..

im like.. 80% sure this is ur problem.. lemme know how it goes..
Old 09-24-2009, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just got an 05 tc 71k...drove it to school today for the first time with the ac on the whole way (hr. ride), got out of school and my pant leg was all wet..whole drivers side was soaked in water and there was a pretty big puddle under the car after it sat for awhile..similar problem? no water unless i got the ac on...hopefully its just a clogged line or something cheap..ill flip if i have to pay $500 on parts for a car i bought yesterday!! p.s. passenger side is fine, only drivers side and only when ac is on.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

if you cant find the drain hose tomm i can take pics of it for you, my cars all ripped apart now anyways.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please do! ill be at school all day and wont have the chance to put much time into this...a picture could be a huge help thanks!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^Entry angle from front of crossmember w/ wire hanger.

^^^^^ View from behind crossmember - Right next to silver metal exhaust shield almost directly under crossmember.

Be prepared to get outta the way. About a pint of water came out at me. Nothing came out with the coat hanger tho, so if it was clogged maybe it's still up there and only temporarily fixed =/
Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah great to see u fixed it! yeah usually its nothing physical that is blocking hte passage, could just be air pockets..
Old 09-26-2009, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so i did the clothes hanger trick today and its definitly my problem..as im under the car pushing the wire in the tube, what comes out? a nasty big frickin white spider with a sack on the back...a frickin SPIDER is what is clogging my ac tube. it crawled out and i killed it but i dont think its over....should the wire be able to go far up the tube? i can stick it in a few inches but then it stops..honestly i think there may be a spiders nest of some sort that wont come out with the wire hanger because when i really started wiggling it hard a large amount of water DID pour out but like i said, once the wire gets a few inches in it goes no further..any ideas on how the hell to get this thing cleaned out because sticking the wire in helped to drain the water but i dont think it fully unclogged it???