Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HELP. Would Low Power Break my Head Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HELP. Would Low Power Break my Head Unit?

OK, so I was tearing into the car and I drained my battery, stupid. Actually my son was playing and left the headlights on, but what am I going to do...he's family.

Anyway, the receiver was on for 4 seconds when I attempted to crank, then shut down. Checked the battery and I was at 6.5v.
No biggie I thought, jumped, recharged the battery. Car starts, life is good.

But now the HU won't come back on. It's a Kenwood DDX7015. The red blinking "alarm" led works with the key off, so I know it is getting power and strangely I think the eject button works to kick out a disc. But no buttons, screen is dark, no sound, no lights. That always seemed to happen after someone worked on the car, I'd usually have to pull the radio fuse to "reset" and everything came back. Like if thhe dealer disconnected the battery while doing some work. Only this time, it doesn't seem to want to revive.

Any thoughts? Could the low voltage have killed it, and if so why does it partially work?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldn't know much but would suspect that the 'jumping' process had something to do with it...
Old 11-02-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm.. so you think jump starting killed the radio?
Old 11-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by krazyscion
i wouldn't know much but would suspect that the 'jumping' process had something to do with it...
normally I would say this, but these HU are designed to be used in a car, which means they do test normal conditions, including jump starting etc. (typically if there isn't enough voltage they usually dont even power on, ie: during cranking)
Old 11-02-2008, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hear you...but it had just enough juice..or perhaps there is a mini cap to let it run that first 4 seconds before it finally died on me. so it was trying to run on somewhere between 6.5 and 8.5v. In a general sense, could a sudden drop kill something?

and even still. isn't is strange the red blinky still blinks? it's still getting power to something.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well as with other electronics, its possible the power supply part of the radio is fine, but another part got damaged (like the display system or the general part of the radio) but certain parts like the security LED might still have power from the power supply since its most likely a simple system.

What I would recommend to do is pull the radio out of the car, leave it out for at least an hour, and then reconnect and try to turn it back on.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

murphy's law.
pulled everything out and the line feeding acc signal (grey with white stripe) was ripped off of the harness..shoddy job. So i soldered it together.
murphy's law again. turned out the grey with white was not feeding signal at all now. checked all fuses and not a single one blown. So i tapped the acc/ign for the kenwood off of the cig lighter. everything works now.
Since there are 2 constant power feeds, i am guessing that the acc/ign is simply used to signal the unit to power on. i hope it doesn't run off of that line. in any event, it's all fused and seems to work.

thoughts?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

you have constant power to the radio. Thats why you see the security light and can eject your CD. You do not have ignition power. IE when you start the car the radio turns on. It could be a simple fuse that is tied to your cigarette plug. Or it could be a ten amp fuse that is behind the kenwood.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, I already solved my problem. It was the ACC fuse.
CIG doesn't run to the stereo. Thought it was the RAD fuse in the front. Had no idea the ACC ran to the stereo.

Anyway this whole chain of events started when my son left my lights on, power drained from the battery, i stupidly thought the radio was busted before realized the battery was dead, removed the radio to troubleshoot, ripped the acc line in the process, then repaired it, then blew the fuse. Fun filled weekend!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

yikes, well im glad you got everything fixed. hope it goes better
Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Looks like you got it and didn't need my help lol darn and I really could've used that cel eliminator