Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Here we go, BIG audio newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Here we go, BIG audio newbie question

I would like to replace the factory components in the front and add a sub (this will be a little later)

1. For those of you with ED components, which ones did ya get and did you install yourself?

2. Can the factory HU handle a sub?Preouts and enough power or is an amp completely necessary? I need to save as much trunk space as possible.

like I said Im a noob when it comes to audio, I used the search but I couldnt come up with what I was looking for exactly

Thanks for humoring my stupiness
(criticism welcomed)

CAMBY
Old 01-22-2006, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we first thought of adding the toyota ( bazooka ) sub to the stock system; but heard there was not much ( if any ) control for it, and its not a great value anyways. We talked to local audio shop, thinking we would just add an aftermarket sub/amp to stock hu to keep costs down ( we wanted some kick, but not somehting that would shake the pavement ) . Long story short; we ended up going with a new deck ( Eclipse ), with Eclipse amp & JL Audio sub. Spent about 700 total installed. We were able to keep stock speakers ( deck has crossovers to control power to speakers so sub does the bottom end work ); and for a reasonable investment got a much improved sound system. The sub does take up space in the back ( not a prob for us as we can do our 'hauling' in our other car ), but we had the amp put under passenger seat.
Not pushing one brand over another--but if it's do-able i'm sure most here would suggest a new hu as well. The overall sound is worth it ( at least for us it was ).
And this comes from a car audio noob as well; we may have a killer home system, but up to now have always relied on factory systems to get us by in our rides. Not no more.
Hope that helps.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

this does help, I was pretty sure I was gonna have to replace the HU. I was just hoping that someone would tell me NO because I know Im gonna go out and end up buying an AVIC or an eclipse, I cant help myself, im too damn impulsive and I love my toys

CAMBY
Old 01-22-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know there are much nicer systems out there then ours; but for the music we listen to ( everything from Sheryl Crow to Type O negative ) our system gets us plenty of solid tight bass punch for the money. And the hu has decent power to drive the stock speakers, so there was a noticeable overall improvement. It just didn't make sense to us to rig up a sub into the rear speaker wiring, rather then invest a bit more to complete the package.
and we all enjoy our toys--that's what we work so damn hard for....
you can probably find some good equipment suggestions on this site, maybe pics as well to help you in your search.
good luck
Old 01-22-2006, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you are looking to scrap the stock speakers I can help
Old 01-22-2006, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry scott didn't mean to pm you
Old 01-22-2006, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default speaker help

Bob,

The replacement of your stock speakers is pretty easy!
The first thing you will want to determine is what do you want to hear?
The second is how much are you willing to invest
the third is are you handy and willing to out in somr time to do a great mod?
The dissassembly of the doors are really easy pm me and i'll answer any questions you might have!
Stan
Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I were you, the stock speakers aren't all that bad. I would invest in a good headunit (of your choice, it seems like you have narrowed it down to two brands.) Also, you can make a fiberglass enclosure for the sub if you have the ability to. Its pretty simple. PM me if you want some info on this easy job. Take a look in my sig for what I did and its the first fiberglass project I ever did.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's my two cents. Im a Car Audio Installer for a Circuit City. And I agree if u want great quality of music. making the right choices of speakers, amps, subs, and HU's a must with quality. Personaly, at the moment i'm working with my STOCK HU and just adding my two hi/lo converters and wiring up my 4ch amp and splittings off the rear channels low levels for bass. and having a seperate remote gain for the bass on one of the dummy plates next to the steering column. i have an alpine 4ch amp, mtx mxa4002 (200x2 stereo @ 4ohmz) which is great for rock music. and two MTX MXS1004 (400RMS subbies) the highs are amazing with STOCK !@#! speakers. the bass....a bit sloppy. which i imagined to be. but with a new HU, maybe avic-d1 or the new PIONEER avic-X1 i think its called that, double-din built in hard drive, dvd/cd/fm/am/ipod and the whole 9 yards. i'll post some pics of wat i have later on..... but yeah. GREAT sound quality = $$$$$$ big bucks..... if u need help pm me or lets keep on posting......
Old 01-27-2006, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acat...avigation.html sorry.. the avic x1r is a single din. my bad....... would be nice a double din with a built in Hard Drive. weeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 01-27-2006, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am pretty sure that Im gonna stay with the stock speakers for now and work on a amp and sub.

I would like to get a custom box that fits along the wheel well, something that was paintable so I can match the SW.

If and when I find one ill start on getting the amp and sub. suggestions on equipment would be great. Im looking for something subtle and that would compliment most music, I listen to everything from classic rock, to rap hell even some country.

Thanks

Bob
Old 01-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: Here we go, BIG audio newbie question

Originally Posted by CAMBYSES
I would like to replace the factory components in the front and add a sub (this will be a little later)

1. For those of you with ED components, which ones did ya get and did you install yourself?
I have 6500s..I installed 'em myself

2. Can the factory HU handle a sub?Preouts and enough power or is an amp completely necessary? I need to save as much trunk space as possible.
Pick up an LOC and you can use the stock HU.

like I said Im a noob when it comes to audio, I used the search but I couldnt come up with what I was looking for exactly

Thanks for humoring my stupiness
(criticism welcomed)

CAMBY
As far as subs/amps....what kind of budget? With the multiple tastes you have, I'd probably go sealed as it'll reproduce bass with smoother response across a broader spectrum. Honestly, sounds like you'd be pretty happy with a single 10" or 12" sub.

Easiest upgrade to do an entire system, 6000s/6500s, Nine.4, 11Kv.2.

Done...1 amp used and you keep it not too expensive. Unfortunately we can't make a box like that since I don't exactly have a stock hatch area in the tC

Chris
Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info, I was hoping you would pop buy on this thread

I saw your hatch.... thats one hell of a project there.

Im checking out the site now

It looks like it would be around $600 for all equipment, damn, that aint too bad. provided I can find a good box or fab my own.

is there anything else I need to know here? oh yeah, what is an LOC is that a Line Out Converter?

thanks alot man

Bob