Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HIDs STOLEN this morning in Miami

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

disconnect your hood pop cable. have it so you have to have a pliers to pull on it.. and tuck it in away.. i mean, how often do you need to open it? that way he's not gonna stay around to find out how to open it.. or, hid your ballasts better and buy the plastic boxes for them and screw them down w/ torx, square, and hex headed screws (just to mix it up).

and if you worried about it gettin stolen, easist way to prevent that is to find the fuel pump fuse, make a jumper that goes through a fuse, to a hidden toggle (if its not hidden then this mod is pointless) and a wire going back to the fuse block.. thus, flick the switch when you leave.. and back when you go.. hard to drive off in a car that dosent get fuel.. muhaha
Old 08-09-2006, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by magyver
disconnect your hood pop cable. have it so you have to have a pliers to pull on it.. and tuck it in away.. i mean, how often do you need to open it? that way he's not gonna stay around to find out how to open it.. or, hid your ballasts better and buy the plastic boxes for them and screw them down w/ torx, square, and hex headed screws (just to mix it up).

and if you worried about it gettin stolen, easist way to prevent that is to find the fuel pump fuse, make a jumper that goes through a fuse, to a hidden toggle (if its not hidden then this mod is pointless) and a wire going back to the fuse block.. thus, flick the switch when you leave.. and back when you go.. hard to drive off in a car that dosent get fuel.. muhaha
i like the fuel pump idea. i think it would be more stealth to just cut the signal wire that goes to the pump and put it on a toggle. (that wire is under the back seat, so you could hide it easily.
however, i'm not concerned about my car getting stolen because i have the immobilizer, which makes it pretty difficult to steal as is. unless they have a flatbed truck.

as for the hood cable...invest in a locking cable or use a chain or wire and a padlock to secure the hood. it's a good idea to disconnect the hood popper, but then again it's pretty easy to get to it from outside the car through the drivers side wheel well. someone on here had this happen to them.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
i'm not concerned about my car getting stolen because i have the immobilizer, which makes it pretty difficult to steal as is. unless they have a flatbed truck.
For someone that knows what they are doing, they can bypass that. Was an article about it in Wired mag.

And RAMROD7, sorry to hear about the HID. That's pretty lame!

If you need another set, let me know and I will give you a deal =)
Old 08-09-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Alarms not working is why I skipped the $400+ on the scion security and for ~$500 w/ install I got a 2-way alarm. I get pages if doors, the hood or trunk are left open (even when not armed), if something hits the car (smacking the car w/ a tee shirt does it) and I don't know what else (b/c I haven't tested glass breakage etc). Not to mention it adds an additional engine immobilizer that works almost too well. If you leave the car unlocked for too long w/o starting it you have to unlock it again. The Toyota dealership actually called me to ask me how to start the car when I dropped it off for service.

Here's mine
Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sorry to hear man......time to go accord hunting!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm up in Broward county and it sucks to hear about this kind of crime. Sorry for your loss
Old 08-10-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bronxblaza117
gonna go and raise the sensitivity on my security! but how do u remove the glove box?
i didn't know you could raise the sensitivity on the alarm? how do you do it?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Keeshwah
Alarms not working is why I skipped the $400+ on the scion security and for ~$500 w/ install I got a 2-way alarm. I get pages if doors, the hood or trunk are left open (even when not armed), if something hits the car (smacking the car w/ a tee shirt does it) and I don't know what else (b/c I haven't tested glass breakage etc). Not to mention it adds an additional engine immobilizer that works almost too well. If you leave the car unlocked for too long w/o starting it you have to unlock it again. The Toyota dealership actually called me to ask me how to start the car when I dropped it off for service.

Here's mine
Where did you purchase your alarm at? local or from web?

BTW...."RAMROD7" sorry to hear that your HID's got jacked, did they cut your wires or what? Removing the HID kit would actually take some time wouldn't it? I have a set on my tC and I dont think I can strip everything off in 5-10 mins..or maybe because I'm not a professional theft...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

7thgear i remember reading in another thread that someone did it, i think u have to turn it with a flathead or somethin... i have no idea wat the thread was about cant remember, gonna try to find it
Old 08-11-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by CSM-ScionGuy
Originally Posted by Keeshwah

Here's mine
Where did you purchase your alarm at? local or from web?

BTW...."RAMROD7" sorry to hear that your HID's got jacked, did they cut your wires or what? Removing the HID kit would actually take some time wouldn't it? I have a set on my tC and I dont think I can strip everything off in 5-10 mins..or maybe because I'm not a professional theft...
I got it locally and for another $200 I can get the remote start for it. (It's only $100 for autos).
Old 08-11-2006, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

sorry for being off the topic, but i raised the sensitivity, do i have to disconnect the battery so it can read the new setting?
Old 08-12-2006, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no if you disconnect the battery, the alarm is going to loose its settings. if you adjusted the sensitivity up, it should take effect right away
Old 08-12-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i turned the sensitivity on my stock alarm up to 11 (the highest) and i still can't get it to go off. i'm standing there pounding on the glass right in the middle and putting dents into my cars and still... nothing......
Old 08-13-2006, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or is 1 the highest sensitivity???????????
Old 08-23-2006, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm so ____ed. My pos dealer wont teach me how to change the sensitivity settings. My alarm wont go off for the life of it. They said I have to bring it back in. Ahhh I hate going there.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just let them deal with it then, and dont let them charge u..

behind the glovebox you'll see this box(circled)... it slides out from the metal post that it is on... on the bottom side by the connection for the cables theres a hole with a screw in it... just turn it

Old 08-23-2006, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright thanks a lot I'll go check it out in a bit
Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I install my HIDs im guna take off my bumper and and place my ballasts in my top inner bumper so they cant grab them, unless they take my bumper too : /
Old 02-19-2007, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Brought back from the dead!!

I did just notice the comment about the hood "how often do you have to open it anyway?" That sounds like some of the people bringing thier cars to my fathers shop out of oil and locked up, low on coolant, running oil that is 20,000 miles old, etc Hopefully you open it fairly often if you take care of your car!

Figure out a way to fab up a secure mount for them and mount them in a hard to get to place. But keep in mind, the same aholes that try to steel it will probably destroy your car to get to them.

I know HIDs are brigther (minimal improvement in vision IMO over stock) and add some "bling" (if you get off on staring at headlights I guess ), but I cant imagine people actually taking time to STEAL them Will they be stealing stickers and painted calipers next?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just add a remote hood popper to the hood and completely hide the hood release cable way up under the dash out of the way. One other cool trick is to wire a siren to the hood release handle so when a thief tries to open the hood, surprise!. lol

Quick Reply: HIDs STOLEN this morning in Miami