Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How long should a battery hold a charge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default How long should a battery hold a charge?

in a car that is parked and not turned on? i hit a deer 2 days before christmas, my sat for almost a week before i started it again, it kinda stuttered but started, it then sat for prolly 2 weeks and i had to jump it. that day i rewired some things and ever since then if the car sits for more then 2 days the battery is dead, its an optima Red Top, does that sound right or did i do something when i rewired?

here is a list of all the electrical things i have in my car, would all this draw enough when the car is off to kill the car? (everything is wired correctly and if it should be on acc power, it is.)

...Street Glow...
1 6 LED pod
1 LED Wheel well kit
1 lava neon
6 9" LED bars
8 3" LED bars
9 strobes
...Oznium...
2 OEM Red led switches
4 4" cold cathodes
10 12" cold cathodes
…Whelen…
2 CSP660
10 Strobes
…Other…
1 LED under body kit
2 6" cold cathodes
2 LED fans
24 LED Singles

Pioneer Avic-D3
Apple 80gb iPod Video
Kicker SS65.2
Kicker Zx1500.1
Kicker Zx450.2
Kicker 12” L7 x2
XO Vision 8” Sun visor monitor x2
XO Vision 7” Rearview monitor
PAC SWI-X
Pioneer CD-I200
KnuKonceptz 30ft 1/0 wire
1/0awg connecters
1/0awg fuse holder x2
Dash kit
Wire harness
Stinger 4ch RCAs
Digital battery terminals
Digital distro block
Fahrenheit video amp
Scangauge II
Sony PSP
6000k HIDs

Viper 791xv
Mini piezo x2
Battery back up
556u
Passport 9500i

the day this started was also the day i installed the scanguageII though that shuts off automatically after 10seconds i think...

normal, or where should i start hunting?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

unless you have something that's always on the car can sit for a while and not really have trouble cranking over to start. I realize you hit a deer and granted I can't tell how much damage there is but I've seen a few cars in the shop after hitting something or some sort of body damage and finding wires pinched or frayed. Usually damage like that can cause a short and a draw on the battery. With that said if the damage wasn't that bad it might be one of you're accessories staying on or something.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

picture:
no metal other then the fender was bent... i am thinking there is a short in there somewhere but i dont know what is causing it.

and the scangaugeII connects to the OBDII sensor, but its got an auto off so that wouldnt matter, right?

the most the car ever sat before this was 2 days, but never showed a sign of struggle.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:53 PM

Well the hit couldnt have been any closer to the batterty and the fuse box. make sure all the fuses are ok and also some wires should have came loose by the impact. Check them all and let us know the update.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well... like Dj said... i would first off check the battery... make sure everything is safe and sound... then.... i would make sure that damn optima is still good... optimas, once they get deep cycled...( voltage drops below 6 volts) tend to go bad.... i dont know why.... thats why i suggest kinetik batts....
Old 02-29-2008, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yeah from my experience definitely trace back wiring from the battery....I know there is a ground wire somewhere in that fender area.... so deep that hit really goes it could have knocked it loose or shorted some other stuff out....but yeah if anything first checking the wiring to the battery and that area making sure nothing is damaged or w/e
Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a battery charger (made for Optima charging) and hook it up and see what the final charging current is - that will be the drain on your battery - there are a few things in the car that draw power all the time - ECU - remote door circuit - dome light - clocks etc. and since the Optima is maybe a little less capacity than the stock battery it may run down faster and may not be charging fully - full charge can take many hours once it is run down so a short drive will not fully charge it.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well, i went to the shop today and my car was outside.. i asked the guy if he had to jump it to get it out, and he said he hadnt jumped it in over a week, hes been pulling it in and out every day and not just letting it sit. i will at one point (after i get to FL) figure out what is wrong, but for now, that was enough to make me happy!

we got the rear bumper fitted, the side skirts fitted and a custom camera mount made. everything will be painted by Wednesday or thursday. and we also got a second battery added to the guys Hyabusa(sp)
Old 03-01-2008, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might have your car hit and forcing something to be grounded,