Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Installing HID Kits...extra wire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Installing HID Kits...extra wire?

So i recently purchased Xenith Xenons HID Kit (h11 6000k) for my 08 scion tC. I been trying to install it for the past 3 hours (no joke). I read the instruction and did many research before coming here and asking this question. But unfortunately i don't know if its me or my kit is missing some wires or has extra wires...

I think these 2 wires (red and black) are to connect to the battery. But the problem is, they're awfully short and both the left and right bulb has them. There's no way on earth i can plug both bulbs to the battery. I don't know what to do with them. Also, the kit comes with 2 ballast.

Here's a pic of what i mean:

Here's a closer one:

I also have another question. So far, i found a place to place my ballast. I think they're in a good place but i am not 100% sure if they're in a safe enough place.
Here's where i put the first one: (Behind the grill)

The second one i placed it in a deeper place, somewhere under the grill behind the front bumper.

I hope i made this clear enough for you guys to understand. I appreciate anybody's help and suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

-Thamer
Old 11-27-2008, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first. those bulbs do not look like h11 bulbs. they should look almost exactly like the stock halogen bulbs.
when i got my hid kit (different brand) over a year ago, they said that no one makes a specific harness for the h11, so they ship a 9006 harness with an andapter that goes beween the h11 bulbs and the 9006 harness. those wires could be that adapter, but i can't tell from your pictures where they go. try pulling them out of that rubber grommet and show what they are connected to.

as for your ballast placement, i personally would not put the ballasts right behind the grill for water reasons. they may be 100% water proof, but why take the risk. put them on the inside of the radiator support or against the fender walls. double sided high strength velcro works great.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:53 AM
SL Member

^x2 on the placement. first rain your ballasts are going to get super wet.

As far as that extra wires.... mine was the same way. just cut off and throw away the part you have circled in red. Not needed

Did you get another wiring harness with your kit? one with an inline fuse?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

looks like those are ground wires, if theyre too short then just add some wires, running a fuse make it safer too
Old 11-28-2008, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks for the reply guys, i got it to work. And yea they were the ground cables . They just looked different than the other ones i saw.

I can't find any other place to put the ballast, plus it rarely rains here in Southern cali. They're also water proof so i will just tape them up with electric tape just in case.

Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wazzu_coug
put them on the inside of the radiator support or against the fender walls. double sided high strength velcro works great.

or here:

both where i mentioned earlier.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Oh wow...nice. But how did u get them to stay there?? Wont they fall off? I used those zipper thingy to tie mine.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wazzu_coug
double sided high strength velcro works great.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Didn't know what it meant at first...googled it. Should have thought about it earlier arghh haha. I guess i could try that...just hope the tape doesn't give up after a few months.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those two small wires dont connect to the battery they connect to one of you stock wire harness usually the driver side to activate the light it self..

you got your two small plug which plug into the bulbs itself then you got the ballast plug which go into the ballast then those two small wires go into the stock wire harness..PLUG and PLAY kits dont go to the battery unless your using a relay which is recommended so you dont drain the battery
Old 02-28-2009, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how bout after its done, you post some night pics. that'd be awesome. they're on the '8 projectors ?

didnt notice how old this is.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the little red and black ...red is the low beam signal and the black is the ground....if you buy a hid kit il come with and adapter well suppose to...just plug those little ones into the black adapter then when you take the stock wire harness off the stock bulb and just plug the hid hardness into that...on both sides if not using a relay..

after it done you should have two working lights if you expereince flickering...a relay is highly recommended even with the plug and play kits its draws the power right from the battery which make the hids last longer and wont affect you stock elctrical system

i have a 06 tc dont have projectors do it might be different but shouldnt be
Old 03-01-2009, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Lol my bad should have posted here that i go it to work. Had them working long time ago. But thanks for the advice.

I will post a pic later tonight if i get the chance.