Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

installing mono amp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM
SL Member

Default installing mono amp?

Anyone have a link to a DIY mono amp install preferably with pictures being that I'm a noob with amps. I searched and didn't really find anything. I am also hooking it up to the stock HU and I know I need the RCA output...but how does that work? Does it come with directions?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have the premium upgraded factory stereo there are 3 sets of RCA outputs on the back of the headunit (Front, Rear, and Subwoofer). If you have the non-upgraded headunit, you will need to purchase a Line-Output Converter. Heres a basic basic video on how to install the amp.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...ers_movie.html

More Install Tips: http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...tall_tips.html
Old 08-13-2008, 12:33 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The basic, if you dont have the premium, you need a LOC (line out converter)
This will tap into the wires that run along the drivers side of the car to your rear speakers. Very easy to get to. The directions will be on the box for the LOC.
From the loc you will run a set of RCAs to the AMP. The amp will need a power wire from the battery with a fuse inline with the wire running to the amp. Then another wire run from the amps "-" to a bolt int he trunkt o ground everything. You will need to run a remote wire to turn the amp on. I run mine from a 12v source in the fuse panel and have an inline switch so i can turn the amp on and off if I choose.

You then run your wires to your sub. Fairly simple.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
The basic, if you dont have the premium, you need a LOC (line out converter)
This will tap into the wires that run along the drivers side of the car to your rear speakers. Very easy to get to. The directions will be on the box for the LOC.
From the loc you will run a set of RCAs to the AMP. The amp will need a power wire from the battery with a fuse inline with the wire running to the amp. Then another wire run from the amps "-" to a bolt int he trunkt o ground everything. You will need to run a remote wire to turn the amp on. I run mine from a 12v source in the fuse panel and have an inline switch so i can turn the amp on and off if I choose.

You then run your wires to your sub. Fairly simple.
okay this is the wrong way to do this!!! NEVER make your ground using a bolt!!!!!!always go to the chassie stripping all the paint down to bare metal. NEVER get any power source at the fuse center. if you need power go to the ingnition harness or if its something that doesnt draw that much current behind a cig lighter. now if your hooking up a line output converter the easiest way is behind the radio everything you need is thier including the acc wire (switched 12v) for the amp turn on. a 2ch line output converter comes with 6 wires, grays for the right and whites for the left and two browns that you dont need. thies are the wire colors youll need.
gray for the amp turn on
left rear +brown -yellow
right rear +red -white
before you start install tape up RCA's to the amp turn on wire makes for a quicker, cleaner install.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:08 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Umm, the fuse box is the best place, considering that is where THE ENTIRE CAR gets its power from. This is why they sell add a fuses!! its much safer than tapping the cig lighter. When you tap a cig lighter, you will be drawing more current through that circuit, current it wasnt designed for. If you add at the fuse panel, the amp will be its own circuit.

As far as where to tap for the LOC, you do realize that those wires behind the head unit are THE SAME EXACT ONES running to the rear speakers.

As far as the bolt, The bolts in the trunk ARE TO THE CHASSIS!!! At least the one I used was.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:15 PM
SL Member

^^
dude your a dick
but the guy above you helped alot.
thanks =)
Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by LanceD
^^
dude your a dick
thanks =)
How am I a dick?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^
dude your a dick
thanks =)
uh.. dude...how about not calling people that are trying to help you, a dick. last time anyone will ever answer any of your questions. grow up.

as for the controversy over tapping into the fuse box. Running the power to the LOC from the fuse box is much safer than running from the cigarette lighter. You eliminate the risk of buring up the wiring in the enitre vehicle (however small of a chance you think that is). However tapping the cigarette lighter as a turn on lead with a relay is a great choice as well, as long as it is fused properly. But the main power source should always be a direct wire from the battery with an inline fuse within a foot from the battery.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^
dude your a dick
thanks =)
you're*

wrong. I'm a dick.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^
dude your a dick
thanks =)

*sigh*

LanceD, I wouldn't bad mouth people that are trying to help you out. Believe me, almost two years ago when I got my car i was going around asking people for help but then being a little smart ___ to some as well. I just started getting back on here today cause my car turned into crap and it disgust me, and now I have alot more respect for my scion elders. Don't take my same path.

I'd hate to see that happen.