Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

IS300 Fogs TC just doing some research...[56k no way]

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default IS300 Fogs TC just doing some research...[56k no way]

OK, I've looked through a ton of threads with people who have fitted the IS300 fogs in the scoops, but none (apart from ShaunTC's) have any real info about fitment and cutting.

So I was hoping people could share there fitting experiences.

Where did you cut, how much, did you have to glass, if you were cutting again would you make the same cuts, etc.

Just any and all info about the install.

This is my Thanksgiving break project, so I have a few weeks and a possible business trip to Belfast before it starts.

Thanks in advance.

Limey

Resources:

ShaunTc's Thread Part 1
ShaunTc's Thread Part 2
Old 11-03-2005, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You pretty much have to cut the entire scoop area to make it fit. One thing Shaun did not do was flip the projectors. I used a heat gun to take the fogs apart. I then drilled new mounting holes. While the fogs were apart I painted the reflectors black to match the headlights.

If anyone is wondering, I used RC car paint for the fogs.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I was planning on flipping them and the internals, they seem to fit better.

So going from the fronnt edge, how far back is still the scoop, or did you cut the top section.

Also how did you go about mounting.

Nice job on them, they look great, and thanks for sharing the back story.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I plan on doing this in the future, not anytime soon though. I hate the original positioning of the fogs.

I also plan on doing a retrofit just like projectD did.

Thats definetly one of the nicest front ends I have seen on a tC just because of the lighting.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ProjectD, I was thinking last night, is there any space in the IS300 fogs for halos ?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt it, since the diameter of the projector is so small and so far back in the housing.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So can you give any more details about how much is "most" of the scoop.

Did you have to cut the top, bottom, left right?

What did you mount the fogs to?

Can you see the cut area when you peer into the gap that's left in the scoop.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cut the top, left, and right. And yes you can see the cuts if you look because the hole is bigger than the fogs (much like the IS300). And I pretty much winged it on the mounting. I cut the bumper so the fogs got locked into place and then taped the crap out of it to keep it from moving. Looks ghetto from inside the bumper but no one see's that. I like it better than fiberglassed mounts because I can take them out whenever I want. I've had the fogs on for about 8 months and they are still fine, but I change the tape from time to time.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I'm actually thinking of swinging by a couple of body shops this weekend, to see how much they'd charge to fit them and fill the gaps that are left, so it's just the fog and a smooth bumper.

They aren't due to arrive 'til the middle of next week and then I have a funeral in England and a bix trip to Ireland, so Thanksgiving will be the first opportunity.

The fogs have bolt holes underneath don't they? Coule you drill two holes and use those for mounting ?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, they only have two bolts on one side of the housing
Old 11-06-2005, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i am in the middle of doing this as well. just got my pair of used fogs.. any additional information would be great..
like how exactly did you heat up the lenses to take it apart? since the clips seems like its useless... where did you get the harness/plug to hook it up? where did you tap into? fusebox? or headlights? do you have a switch for it and does it turns off when you turn off ur headlights?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProjectD
One thing Shaun did not do was flip the projectors.
No sure where this is coming from, considering that i was the first one to tell everyone how to open up the fogs and flip the projectors. Mine are flipped and my cutoff is exactly how it should be.....
Old 11-06-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shaun, could you share your cutting experience, I understand you glassed them in, can you give more details about that ?
Old 11-07-2005, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cutting the space for the housing is trial and error. I just kept cutting until it fit. By the time I was done almost the whole backside of the vent was smooth with the rest of the bumper. There was a little bit of a lip left on the top toward the middle of the bumper, but not much. My friends have a body shop, so we used their air compressor and cutting wheel. Then they used fiberglass sheets and resien (sp?) to make the housing part of the bumper. I can still change the bulbs if i need to and I could also make a clean cut if I ever needed to take the whole housing out. I don't think that will ever happed though, because I would have a big ___ hole where the fake vent thing used to be. The best advice i can give on the cutting is cut a small bit and then test fit over and over until you get it how you like it. When you get one side done, the second is easy, because you know exactly how much to cut. I don't really know what to tell you about the 'glassing, because i didn't really do that part. I know it took about 20 layers and several hours. Hope this helps.

Shaun
Old 11-08-2005, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

heres where i'm stuck at currently
http://home.comcast.net/~su1c1da1/original.jpg
that is how the lamps are originally, as you can see the block off part is on the bottom side? when we mount the fogs on the tC, we'll have to flip the housing upside down, then the left fog will go on right bumper and vice versa.

since we flip them the block off will be turned upside down, now I was told to have the insides switch around, but when I do switch them around, theres no way the projectors will fit in the housing, at least without cutting out the longer leg. even if i do that, the screw holes wouldnt match up and there isn't enough metal for me to drill some extra holes.

now, i was told to have the block off part to cover the top of the projector.. but if i turn the light upside down, the block off would've been upside down in the 1st place and theres no need to bake the lights and do all these?

ProjectD: you said after u took them apart, you drilled new mounting holes, do you mind which part of the projector you drilled holes on? I can provide pix of the parts you need to circle.

any thoughts?

btw, what is the best way to get the sealants off?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is what I meant when I said Shaun didn't flip the projectors. I followed his instructions just like Su1c1da1 and ran into this problem. Then I looked at his pictures of the finished product and noticed that projectors were STILL upside down.

You can clearly see how the light fans out toward the street and how the beam is not cut off at all. In the second pic, more proof that the cutoff is upside down just by how the fogs outshine the headlights with massive glare. How is that possible if the fogs are mounted below the headlights?

This is pic of lights against the garage. Notice how the the fogs light up the entire garage, even the top. The cutoff isn't working because its at the bottom of the beam, not at the top where it should be.

Here's another example of how the light cutoff is upside down

This isn't a knock on Shaun, I'm just stating the facts. And the fact is that he didn't flip the projectors at all. If you can show me some wall shots that show that the cutoff is working properly, I'll proceed to stick my foot in my mouth. I compared these pictures with my friend's IS300 and they are nothing like them.

And Su1c1da1, if you post a clear picture of the projectors, I can circle the spots where I drilled.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

here u go projectD...
http://home.comcast.net/~su1c1da1/proj.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~su1c1da1/proj2.jpg

let me know if you wouldl like another angle of the projector.

also, on your thread, you posted that you used some 2ton epoxy? what is that? do i need to get those, where can i get those, etc..
Old 11-08-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fogs just arrived from Mr. bridges, so i am now sat with them in hand watching this thread with GREAT interest. Can't wait 'til i get back from my euro trip.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Soooo, baking these bad boys.

in the oven at 250 for how long?

And then just pry apart trying to keep as much of the gunk on the housing side, yes?

I assume that sealing back up is just the reverse process, heat the two halves up, press together, wedge/clam them shut until it cools down.

Does that sound about right?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i think ur on the spot there limey, maybe just get extra silicone paste to apply over cracks and seal them up.

no i have a new question. has anybody try mounting them without flipping the projectors inside. but just adjsut the light to point as far as possible.. does it still seem blinding to you

Quick Reply: IS300 Fogs TC just doing some research...[56k no way]