Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

JL Audio Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member

Default JL Audio Speakers

I fixing to buy some new speakers. I know JL as about 4 different lines of Evolutions. I can't really decide of what... money is not really an issue. I just want the best sounding speaker.... I like my music load and clear, with a little bang... Does anybody have any opinion on any of their lines.... also, does a component 2/3 way system really sound much better than a regular 2/3 way speaker.... or am I just confused....
Old 03-05-2006, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my XRs. I got 525 components in the front and 650 coaxils in the rear powered by a 300/4 amp and it is loud enough to hear through my 3 10" W6v2 subs so yea... loud and clear is definatly a way id describe mine..

heck if u have the money go for the ZRs!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

as far as the JL speaker lines go... XR's or ZR's... both are really nice.. sound awsome and can handle plenty of power...
Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you need JL subs, I have to 12"s for sale
Old 03-08-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

JL speakers are quite good. Go with components for the best SQ since they come with much better crossovers. Oh, and JL speakers are a bit power hungry so get a decent amp. Don't even think of running them off a headunit.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsciontc
JL speakers are quite good. Go with components for the best SQ since they come with much better crossovers. Oh, and JL speakers are a bit power hungry so get a decent amp. Don't even think of running them off a headunit.
There's no such thing as a "power hungry" speaker. You can use the TR or VR line right off the outputs of a deck. The XR and ZR have more complex x-overs wich will cause problems for the small chip amplifier in the radio.
The short answer to the first question is each was designed to be the best in it's price range. Personally, I use the VR 650-CS in my TC mostly becuase the tweeter is the same size as the OEM and I was able to use the OEM monting brackets to hold them into place in the doors.
The TR and VR share a similar woofer but the tweeter is different. The VR adds external x-overs and a german-made silk dome tweeter. The TR tweeter is a textile blend and the x-over is a simply in-line unit.
The XR and ZR share the same tweeter; a German-made 1" aluminum dome. The ZR tweeters a held to a very tight 1 dB tolorance to a golden curve to make sure each pair is very evenly matched. The ZR adds proprietary cast baskets and the drivers are DMA optimized (designed like the subwoofers). This insures high excursion and very low distortion. The ZR x-overs use higher-end components for a more predictable output. It should be noted that the XR line was the hiighest end components JL offered for 6 yeras before the ZR came onto the scene. The XR still remains as the "bread and butter" of the evolution line.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes there is a power hungry speaker, it's known as sensitivity and JL's and other high end speakers have low sensitivity rating. I personally have an old set of tr coaxials and the headunit power is not enough to really appreciate the ability of that speaker. Cheap paper cone speakers have high sensitivites and will get louder off less power. Aftermarket (high quality ones at least) have sturdier cones to reduce vibrations and stiffer suspensions to aid in dampening which as a result will lower the sensitivity of a speaker.